T Nation

Cy Willson------Cholesterol: LDL too high!?

I had a physical done yesterday including a cholesterol test. When I got home today, the results where on my answering machine stating that my total cholesterol was 287 with an HDL of 61 and an LDL or 214!!! I was in shock when I heard this. I need your opinion. Here are my stats: 25 yrs. old, 170 lbs., and approx. 12.5% bodyfat. I don’t smoke or drink, and I am almost always on an Isocaloric/Zone-like diet with most of my fats either coming from flax seed oil, fish oils, peanut butter, and a little bit of 1% milk; overall, all low in saturated fats. I weight train 3-4 times a week and do not do any cardio.
Also, the 2 nights before the exam, I had an egg and cheese omelet (rare occasion). Needless to say, I had alot of saturated fats that my body wasn’t used to getting. Could this be a reason that my LDL was up so high? It doesn’t sound like it to me, but I wanted to ask you.
I read your article, “Bad Blood: Improving your cholesterol profile.” Great stuff, I might go back on Tribex.
Anyway, I’m supposed to go back in 3 months to have it checked again. Your opinion would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Travis