Cy Willson and Others: Resveratrol...

The phytoestrogen, Resveratrol (3,5,4’-trihydroxystilbene) that is found in Biotest’s M occurs naturally in red grapes if I’m not mistaken.

Could eating red grapes or drinking the juice/wine block the estrogen receptors if it’s in the right quantities?

If it’s possible, what quantities are we talking about?

I apologize if this is a stupid question, just wondered.

Best regards.

SirPhisticated,

You’re right. The skin of grapes, wine and even peanuts (peanut butter) and mulberries have resveratrol.

Having said that, there just isn’t enough in foods to get the specific effect you’re after. It’s been a while since I’ve looked but if I remember correctly, the content in wine is something like 10 mg/L, so short of being a chronic alcoholic, you won’t be getting enough.

To get an effect where one would antagonize estrogen receptors and increase gonadotropins would require eating astronomical amounts.

Now, that isn’t to say that one still can’t reap other benefits from resveratrol independent of ER-antagonism at much lower intake levels. In fact, some authors have argued that resveratrol may be the greatest explanation for the “French Paradox.” So, even smaller amounts that one obtains from foods is likely highly beneficial.

Hope that helps.

[quote]SirPhisticated wrote:
The phytoestrogen, Resveratrol (3,5,4’-trihydroxystilbene) that is found in Biotest’s M occurs naturally in red grapes if I’m not mistaken.

Could eating red grapes or drinking the juice/wine block the estrogen receptors if it’s in the right quantities?

If it’s possible, what quantities are we talking about?

I apologize if this is a stupid question, just wondered.

Best regards.[/quote]

Thank you for your answers. I did kind of expect the quantities to be the issue here.

Best regards.

“so short of being a chronic alcoholic, you won’t be getting enough.”

Wheww… I’m covered.