Cy or Anyone: Androgen Classes

What class of androgen is the oral-turinobal product? Clordehydromethyltestosterone leads me to think its a class one, being a modified methyltest, but we all know how drastic the effect of changing even the smallest part of an ASS molecule can be. What’s the deal?

Just gonna bump this up as I see Cy is currently one of the mods.

Good question. I’m not really sure as I’ve never looked in to that. I’m sure one of the first papers regarding the synthesis probably evaluated this, including an explanation for the chlorine atom at the C-4 (SAR evaluation).

Just as a guess, and this is simply that, I would say it’s probably a “Class II” but again that’s just a guess. What you’re looking at is methandrostenolone (d-bol) with a chlorine atom at the C-4, so I’d wonder what effect it (Cl) would have on activity at that position, and I’m certain this was evaluated after synthesis. In short, I’m sure there’s an answer out there, but I don’t have it.

Just to increase my own knowledge, why isn’t dianabol referred to as methyltestosterone in some form? Maybe I asked that weird, but I’ve always read that oral-T is chlordeydro-methyltest, and as you say it is a modified dianabol, but that name doesn’t make any indications to it relating to methandrostenolone or methandionone (two names for dianabol that I know of). Is there something in a name that I’m missing?

[quote]Galvatron wrote:
Just to increase my own knowledge, why isn’t dianabol referred to as methyltestosterone in some form? Maybe I asked that weird, but I’ve always read that oral-T is chlordeydro-methyltest, and as you say it is a modified dianabol, but that name doesn’t make any indications to it relating to methandrostenolone or methandionone (two names for dianabol that I know of). Is there something in a name that I’m missing?[/quote]

It is, although not commonly on boards and in passing as well, as the names seen most often are for the sake of brevity and being able to communicate without the assumption that the other person has taken organic chemistry. For example, it’s much easier to say “methandrostenolone” or “methandienone” as chemical names, or especially “d-bol” as a former brand name, instead of 1-dehydro-17-alpha-methyltestosterone or 1-dehydromethyltestosterone, or systematically, 17-beta-hydroxy-17-alpha-methylandrosta-1,4-dien-3-one, but those are all names for the same molecule. In most common forums, the most commonly used names are typically less confusing. The other reason may be that the dealer or whomever sells the product doesn’t know, or they understand their market base and may choose to use one name over another. Nonetheless, structurally, methandrostenolone is methyltestosterone with an additional double bond between the C-1 and C-2.

Anyhow, you see this in all aspects, not just steroid nomenclature. For just about any given compound, you can come up with a great deal of synonyms.