T Nation

Cy, Opinion on this Product...

Neurogenex:

Neurogenex increases memory, cognition and enhances general brain and nervous system function. It increases blood flow to the brain. It increases levels of the predominant neurotransmitter acetylcholine by inhibiting its breakdown. Neurogenex also stimulates the production of acetylcholine and other neurotransmitters by providing their building blocks and precursors. It provides the nutrients necessary for enhanced brain function and metabolism. Neurogenex maintains, fuels and enhances your mind.

Ingredients:
Huperzine A
Vinpocetine
Bacopa (20% bacosides)
Galantamine
Choline DH Citrate
2-oxo-pyrrolidone
DMAE
Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate
Nicotinamide
Calcium Pantothenate
Vitamin C
Acetyl-l-Tyrosine
Acetyl-l-Carnitine

I realize there’s no amounts, but could it be of any use as a memory enhancer?

Thanks.

I’m no Cy, but from my knowledge. . .

I’m not sure how much acetylcholine it will help produce since it’s missing phosphatidylcholine - which is the precursor to acetylocholine. Also in Power Drive, by the way (as is L-Tyrosine and DMAE).

If you’re looking for enhanced cognitive function, you can’t go wrong with either Power Drive or Spike. Seriously.

EDIT: Whoops, I missed the Choline DH Citrate in there. I don’t know how effective this form of Choline is as to the one in Power Drive. But, to me, at first glance, this product seems to be one of the kitchen sink variety.

[quote]lmjudek wrote:
Neurogenex:

Neurogenex increases memory, cognition and enhances general brain and nervous system function. It increases blood flow to the brain. It increases levels of the predominant neurotransmitter acetylcholine by inhibiting its breakdown. Neurogenex also stimulates the production of acetylcholine and other neurotransmitters by providing their building blocks and precursors. It provides the nutrients necessary for enhanced brain function and metabolism. Neurogenex maintains, fuels and enhances your mind.

Ingredients:
Huperzine A
Vinpocetine
Bacopa (20% bacosides)
Galantamine
Choline DH Citrate
2-oxo-pyrrolidone
DMAE
Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate
Nicotinamide
Calcium Pantothenate
Vitamin C
Acetyl-l-Tyrosine
Acetyl-l-Carnitine

I realize there’s no amounts, but could it be of any use as a memory enhancer?

Thanks.[/quote]

I had a question like this a couple of years ago. I have two problems with these “kitchen sink” supplements. One, when you combine 13 different compounds, many of which end up, in one way or another, working via the same mechanisms, and of course, with some we have no clue how they work, how in the world can you predict a positive result?

More importantly than that, however, is they take a large number of compounds, many of which have shown some promise, and put small amounts of each in the formula. The amount of each, however, is nowhere near that required to elicit the desired effect.