T Nation

Cy: Gene Activator?

Dear Cy,

i want to know, is it possible to “activate” you muscle building gene through supplements?

because a big garbage producer has a product they claim that can help you activate your gene to help you build muscle…

thanks for your time.

yea you can stimulate gene transcription.

this is what testosterone does directly(enters the cell, and after being modified i believe, interacts with a promoter region to allow RNA polyermase to bind). In a basic sense it activates gene transcription to ultimately synthesis muscle among other things.

This is also the purpose of GH and IGF-1, they do other things as well, but they function to signal gene transcription through a cascade and do not actually enter the cell).

so yes, these compounds are usually called steroids when administered intravenously.

You can also accomplish this, albeit less effectively, through lifting and eating properly, that’s basically what we’re all doing here.

please don’t buy into companies bullshit though.

[quote]consumer wrote:
yea you can stimulate gene transcription.

this is what testosterone does directly(enters the cell, and after being modified i believe, interacts with a promoter region to allow RNA polyermase to bind). In a basic sense it activates gene transcription to ultimately synthesis muscle among other things.

This is also the purpose of GH and IGF-1, they do other things as well, but they function to signal gene transcription through a cascade and do not actually enter the cell).

so yes, these compounds are usually called steroids when administered intravenously.

You can also accomplish this, albeit less effectively, through lifting and eating properly, that’s basically what we’re all doing here.

please don’t buy into companies bullshit though.[/quote]

I don’t know how to answer the OP’s question, but I do know that if you are administering steroids intravenously, you will have bigger problems.

Hi Monster Wong,

It’s a matter of cheap semantics in my opinion. I’m guessing the point is to make one think that “gene activity” is some sort of unique event that won’t occur otherwise?

In any event, I’m not sure who exactly you’re referring to, but try checking out the following abstracts and see if you spot any similarities when it comes to certain enzymes and transcription factors.

Hope that helps.

[quote]Monster Wong wrote:
Dear Cy,

i want to know, is it possible to “activate” you muscle building gene through supplements?

because a big garbage producer has a product they claim that can help you activate your gene to help you build muscle…

thanks for your time.[/quote]

[quote]Cy Willson wrote:
Hi Monster Wong,

It’s a matter of cheap semantics in my opinion. I’m guessing the point is to make one think that “gene activity” is some sort of unique event that won’t occur otherwise?

In any event, I’m not sure who exactly you’re referring to, but try checking out the following abstracts and see if you spot any similarities when it comes to certain enzymes and transcription factors.

Hope that helps.
[/quote]

Cy, that helps, because i can find something similar…but i can say the producer’s name in T-Nation…