Cy: DHT Anabolic?

Cy,

I use finasteride (1mg/day) to prevent baldness and it was worked really well. I was always under the impression that DHT was not of much use in muscle building as it had little to no anabolic activity. Now recently I read that it is THE hormone to focus on for growth. Sounds odd, but it has me concerned. Also any thoughts on the superiority/efficacy of dutasteride as I see it is now available?

Thanks,
DH

I know you didn’t ask me, but I was going to share what I have read on the subject. I use test almost exclusively and thus I always use finasteride, year round. I did my first cycle ever without finasteride and had great gains, but I cycle now with finasteride at 2.5-5 mgs a day depending on how much test I am using.

I have never noticed a difference with or without the finasteride other than the fact that my hair is full and thick. I never had a hair loss problem, but if you use alot of test for a long time, cycle after cycle, you are just tempting fate, so I thought I could use finasteride as protection. My main reason for starting the fina was both of my grandfathers had prostate cancer young, one died, the other had a nasty chemo schedule. My skin seems to be less oily. I think that there is documentation to the effect that DHT is a major effector of sebum, which is indicated in both hair loss and acne development.

But then again if you think about it, some of the most potent AAS’s are DHT-deriavitives, masterbolan, primobolan, trenbolone and winstrol. So I don’t know, this has always been a interesting question. I think test is best, fast-acting test of course. Suspension or propionate only.

[quote]Disc Hoss wrote:
Cy,

I use finasteride (1mg/day) to prevent baldness and it was worked really well. I was always under the impression that DHT was not of much use in muscle building as it had little to no anabolic activity. Now recently I read that it is THE hormone to focus on for growth. Sounds odd, but it has me concerned. Also any thoughts on the superiority/efficacy of dutasteride as I see it is now available?

Thanks,
DH[/quote]

Disc Hoss,
Good question. DHT, being an androgen has some inherent anabolic activity. However, the discussion as to whether there is any concern about preventing the reduction of testosterone and other substrates, is an unnecessary one. The reason being that skeletal muscle has little to no 5 alpha-reductase activity.
So, the idea about 5 alpha-reductase inhibitors preventing anabolic activity isn’t correct, so which you choose should center around other tissues which do have the enzyme being expressed (e.g., prostate, scalp, etc.) in which case, I’d go with the dutasteride over finasteride.
Hope this helps!

[quote]Cy Willson wrote:
Disc Hoss wrote:
Cy,

Thanks,
DH

Disc Hoss,
Good question. DHT, being an androgen has some inherent anabolic activity. However, the discussion as to whether there is any concern about preventing the reduction of testosterone and other substrates, is an unnecessary one. The reason being that skeletal muscle has little to no 5 alpha-reductase activity.
So, the idea about 5 alpha-reductase inhibitors preventing anabolic activity isn’t correct, so which you choose should center around other tissues which do have the enzyme being expressed (e.g., prostate, scalp, etc.) in which case, I’d go with the dutasteride over finasteride.
Hope this helps! [/quote]

I know finasteride is in Propecia and shit like that. What’s dutasteride and where can it be found?

Awesome, Cy.

Thanks,
DH

Also, if I might sneak one more in here…

I’m using Carbolin 19 (10 days thus far) and twice I’ve used a spacing of about 12 hours due to schedule issues. Any problems with exceeding the 6-8 range indicated on the bottle? Purpose of range?

thanks,
DH

[quote]Disc Hoss wrote:
Awesome, Cy.

Thanks,
DH

Also, if I might sneak one more in here…

I’m using Carbolin 19 (10 days thus far) and twice I’ve used a spacing of about 12 hours due to schedule issues. Any problems with exceeding the 6-8 range indicated on the bottle? Purpose of range?

thanks,
DH[/quote]

Not a problem, Disc Hoss.

The timing is fine. I wouldn’t push it past 12 hours though. My personal recommendation is 8-12 hours between each dose, so you’re within that range. The purpose of the range, or really anything similar is simply to achieve and maintain a particular blood level of the compound, so you can benefit the most from it.