CW on PT

Let’s get the ball rollin’!

When doing NB3, what do you suggest for a pre-lift warm-up, besides the jumping jacks, etc., especially on the circuit day?

In the NB3 article, circuit days, the exercises include a rest interval but are lettered A1, A2, A3; I assume the individual exercises are supposed to be done w/o rest in between, correct? And how much rest do you recommend between circuits?

Finally, I have noticed a significant increase in overall daily energy levels as opposed to my last week of BBB, even after decreasing calories. I would predict that that is why NB3 is superior for fat loss, because you get one hell of a workout at the gym, but you still have energy to move, breathe, walk, all that necessary kinda stuff : ) Is that the benefit of it and if so, or if not, why is NB3 so effective for fat loss? (and please don’t hold back on the scientific jargon, the more complicated the better, seriously)

Thanks a bunch

After coming off of QD and taking a week off, I started Waterbury Method this week. I can’t believe how far I’ve come using your programs over the last few months. I continue to gain lean mass while losing fat and staying right around 215lbs. I need to check, but I think I’m finally under 10% BF now. I know I can’t expect to make gains like this forever, but I know it’s because of how I’m training now.

I’m curious why you don’t include dead lifts in QD and WM? I haven’t done them since TBT. I plan on doing either ABBH I or TBT again after WM, so I’ll be able to do them again soon.

• Larry

Dont have a question about PT but I do have one or two for you!

I am currently on week 3 of ABBH-1. For the 5X10 on chins I typically get 10,8,4 at BW and then go to the lat-pulldown to finish out. I haven’t really been able to progress in terms of getting more reps in the following week. Next week I switch to 10X3 for chins should I continue doing the chins until I fail and then go to the machine or what?

Next question: multiple reps on deads kill me. I tend to resort to SDL when I fatigue and eventually finish out by rounding my back! I know I need to concentrate more on form but should I also treat the reps in each set as a single by standing and resetting my grip? I dont know if I need to be too concerned with how fast I get through the set or just about how fast I lift. The 10x4 last week kicked my ass and I have the 10x5 tomorrow!

thanks for all the great programs btw, TBT is the program that finally got me on a regular schedule and I have been consistently lifting for 6 months following TBT, WM, HH, a little OLAD and now ABBH

[quote]boonville410 wrote:
When doing NB3, what do you suggest for a pre-lift warm-up, besides the jumping jacks, etc., especially on the circuit day?

In the NB3 article, circuit days, the exercises include a rest interval but are lettered A1, A2, A3; I assume the individual exercises are supposed to be done w/o rest in between, correct? And how much rest do you recommend between circuits?

Finally, I have noticed a significant increase in overall daily energy levels as opposed to my last week of BBB, even after decreasing calories. I would predict that that is why NB3 is superior for fat loss, because you get one hell of a workout at the gym, but you still have energy to move, breathe, walk, all that necessary kinda stuff : ) Is that the benefit of it and if so, or if not, why is NB3 so effective for fat loss? (and please don’t hold back on the scientific jargon, the more complicated the better, seriously)

Thanks a bunch[/quote]

As described within the article, you should rest 90s between all sets and between circuits.

You can warm-up with a few sets of each exercise with a load that represents 70-75% of your working load. Although, many trainees find that the GPP work is sufficient to warm the joints.

NB3 is effective for fat loss since the total weekly volume is low (to offset overtraining); the metabolic demand is high (as you ascertained); and all primary muscles are taxed with large, compound movements.

CW,

What parameters should someone follow for maintaining strength and size.

For example, if someone has a few weeks of downtime before starting a new program and they don’t want to do a full blown routine, but they also don’t want to stop working out, what can they do during this time? Thanks.

[quote]LarryJr wrote:
After coming off of QD and taking a week off, I started Waterbury Method this week. I can’t believe how far I’ve come using your programs over the last few months. I continue to gain lean mass while losing fat and staying right around 215lbs. I need to check, but I think I’m finally under 10% BF now. I know I can’t expect to make gains like this forever, but I know it’s because of how I’m training now.

I’m curious why you don’t include dead lifts in QD and WM? I haven’t done them since TBT. I plan on doing either ABBH I or TBT again after WM, so I’ll be able to do them again soon.

• Larry[/quote]

Hey Larry, that’s great to hear!

Deadlifts aren’t included in either program because the other exercises are sufficient to tax the same musculature. This is especially true with QD since good mornings are part of the program. Many trainees can’t withstand heavy deads and good mornings within the same week.

The same is true with WM - the program is very demanding and the incorporation of deads would probably overly tax trainees. But, if you want to perform deads, you can include light load speed deads on the last day of QD; in addition, you can replace squats with deads on Day 1 of the WM.

[quote]Snoop wrote:
Dont have a question about PT but I do have one or two for you!

I am currently on week 3 of ABBH-1. For the 5X10 on chins I typically get 10,8,4 at BW and then go to the lat-pulldown to finish out. I haven’t really been able to progress in terms of getting more reps in the following week. Next week I switch to 10X3 for chins should I continue doing the chins until I fail and then go to the machine or what?

Next question: multiple reps on deads kill me. I tend to resort to SDL when I fatigue and eventually finish out by rounding my back! I know I need to concentrate more on form but should I also treat the reps in each set as a single by standing and resetting my grip? I dont know if I need to be too concerned with how fast I get through the set or just about how fast I lift. The 10x4 last week kicked my ass and I have the 10x5 tomorrow!

thanks for all the great programs btw, TBT is the program that finally got me on a regular schedule and I have been consistently lifting for 6 months following TBT, WM, HH, a little OLAD and now ABBH[/quote]

Both of your dilemmas are due to excessive loading parameters. You should use the lat pulldown for all 5 sets of your pull-ups. Or, perform pull-ups for any set that allows you to complete 10 reps (your first set) from that point you should switch to pulldowns.

Your strength should be sufficient to allow you to perform 10x3 chin-ups (based on your above numbers).

You must lower the load on your deadlifts. If you can’t perform all sets/reps as recommended, lower the load until you can.

[quote]basementD wrote:
CW,

What parameters should someone follow for maintaining strength and size.

For example, if someone has a few weeks of downtime before starting a new program and they don’t want to do a full blown routine, but they also don’t want to stop working out, what can they do during this time? Thanks. [/quote]

5x5 with squats, deads, presses, rows, and cleans works well. Perform this 2x/week.

I’m in my 2nd week of The Waterbury Method also at the moment - tremendous gains in strength and thickness. Just set a PR on barbell rows (no straps at all, on pulldowns either; grip strength can improve) - back and shoulders have really taken off. I used to think I was a “high rep person” but 10*3 is amazing.

Faithfully doing 100 Reps to Bigger Muscles also. Is there a time you want to increase weight on these (what I was using at the begining of the week is going up without problem now; last Saturday the last few reps were a bit of a struggle)? Or is this not really a concern as long as blood is flowing into the area and there is “some effort.”

Trying to work in some GPP also; do you recommend a serving of Surge afterwords or is it not that important?

Once again, thanks for the great programs. I have to repeat one more time, for an “ectamorph”, it’s amazing how 10*3 works, I leave feeling energized.

JamminJS

Quick question on ABBH II in relation to the partial deadlifts you prescribe. Do you dealift from the ground and then only lower to the upper shins before ascending again? Or do you deadlift from rack pins and come to a stop after lowering? Small point, I know. Just wanted to hear how you go about it.

[quote]JamminJS wrote:
I’m in my 2nd week of The Waterbury Method also at the moment - tremendous gains in strength and thickness. Just set a PR on barbell rows (no straps at all, on pulldowns either; grip strength can improve) - back and shoulders have really taken off. I used to think I was a “high rep person” but 10*3 is amazing.

Faithfully doing 100 Reps to Bigger Muscles also. Is there a time you want to increase weight on these (what I was using at the begining of the week is going up without problem now; last Saturday the last few reps were a bit of a struggle)? Or is this not really a concern as long as blood is flowing into the area and there is “some effort.”

Trying to work in some GPP also; do you recommend a serving of Surge afterwords or is it not that important?

Once again, thanks for the great programs. I have to repeat one more time, for an “ectamorph”, it’s amazing how 10*3 works, I leave feeling energized.

JamminJS

[/quote]

Thanks JJS!

Don’t worry about increasing the load on the 100 Reps program - it’s not about taxing the musculature. You mentioned that the last few reps were a little tough - that’s perfect. Stay there, don’t increase it.

If your GPP work is taxing (GPP ASAP) then Surge with creatine is highly recommended. If it’s not overly taxing, or if you’re trying to get lean, take a scoop of Grow! mixed with some creatine.

Hows it going CW.

Im on day 4 of TTT, yeah not long but its only 1 more day of training and then the rest of the week off, im just wondering is this a beginners program? ive been training a little over a year, not long but im young, do you recomend a better workout than TTT, like QD? that would give me faster gains cause not to down TTT, its great but i feel like my muscles are starting to slag or something along the line of my strength going down. 

But if you do think i should keep doing TTT, on day 1 could i exchange the front squat for the squat where you rest the bar on your traps, because i dont have a squat rack and me having to pick up the bar with my arms crossed is tearing up my arms and chest(as in scracthing them) but if you have a purpose for them it want kill me to keep doing them.
Thanks.

[quote]digger175 wrote:
Quick question on ABBH II in relation to the partial deadlifts you prescribe. Do you dealift from the ground and then only lower to the upper shins before ascending again? Or do you deadlift from rack pins and come to a stop after lowering? Small point, I know. Just wanted to hear how you go about it.[/quote]

You should initiate the movement from the pins, not the floor. Briefly rest the load between reps.

Having read all of your articles on this site, I’m well aware of your belief in training each muscle group more often. Are you ever in favor of the more common bodybuilding splits, working each muscle only once a week with super high volume? Personally, frequency works better than volume, so I really like your routines. But would someone reach a point where they required so much volume to stimulate a muscle that they needed an entire week to recover? Should periodization be used to avoid reaching such a point?

Sorry for asking all these questions at once.

Hey Chad,
Do you have a guideline for total volume ranges for a weekly routine such as TBT. By this I mean that CT has written an article on volume and frequency suggesting 80-120 reps per muscle group per week depending on frequency. One can calculate that you don’t consider a total volume of 400+ reps for the week to be excessive. I’m hoping for a guiding principle such as your 24-50 rep range etc…

Plus I love the volume afforded by not training to failure after many years of feeling like crap and never knowing why.

thanks,
DH

[quote]Mike T. wrote:
Hows it going CW.

Im on day 4 of TTT, yeah not long but its only 1 more day of training and then the rest of the week off, im just wondering is this a beginners program? ive been training a little over a year, not long but im young, do you recomend a better workout than TTT, like QD? that would give me faster gains cause not to down TTT, its great but i feel like my muscles are starting to slag or something along the line of my strength going down. 

But if you do think i should keep doing TTT, on day 1 could i exchange the front squat for the squat where you rest the bar on your traps, because i dont have a squat rack and me having to pick up the bar with my arms crossed is tearing up my arms and chest(as in scracthing them) but if you have a purpose for them it want kill me to keep doing them.
Thanks.[/quote]

Don’t judge the program by the first week - it’s a great program. Just be sure to use a load that’s sufficient to tax your conditioning levels.

You can substitute front squats with back squats.

[quote]leon79 wrote:
Having read all of your articles on this site, I’m well aware of your belief in training each muscle group more often. Are you ever in favor of the more common bodybuilding splits, working each muscle only once a week with super high volume? Personally, frequency works better than volume, so I really like your routines. But would someone reach a point where they required so much volume to stimulate a muscle that they needed an entire week to recover? Should periodization be used to avoid reaching such a point?

Sorry for asking all these questions at once. [/quote]

Anytime an elite trainee needs more daily volume, I incorporate 2x/day sessions. But, I always keep the frequency at 2-4x/week per body part.

[quote]Disc Hoss wrote:
Hey Chad,
Do you have a guideline for total volume ranges for a weekly routine such as TBT. By this I mean that CT has written an article on volume and frequency suggesting 80-120 reps per muscle group per week depending on frequency. One can calculate that you don’t consider a total volume of 400+ reps for the week to be excessive. I’m hoping for a guiding principle such as your 24-50 rep range etc…

Plus I love the volume afforded by not training to failure after many years of feeling like crap and never knowing why.

thanks,
DH[/quote]

Good question, but the answer is extremely complex. The answer depends on scads of variables: intensity, rest periods, volume, training age, nutrtitional intake, etc.

Overall, I recommend 24-50 per session for each body part, with 2-4 sessions per week. Obviously, that equates to a huge range, but that’s how it goes!

Hey Chad,
Have a question for ya.
I was making some tremendous progress using the SOB program, but ended up injuring my shoulder.

I think that it is probably a bicep impingement rather than rotator cuff, although I am not sure (I can almost closse-grip bench, but the wider my hands are on the bar the more pain occurs. I have not lifted any upper body for 5 weeks, I am currently taking an anti-inflammatory, and using JS bands for some light tractioning.

Any suggestions on how to hasten the recovery?
Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks,
Worker

Oh, one last thing…getting ready to order an xvest. Do you use the 40 lb model or the 84 lb model?