CW Chest Question

Chad, or others, one of the things I am most interested in working on improving is my chest. I have just started QD, and am thinking about making one minor tweak.

I have read various threads and opinions about the bench press and other moves for chest development. I think the move that might be really good would be a “cable pec flye”. In other words, I would lay on the bench between two cable crossovers, I would use the lower handles, and pull the cables up and together, over my chest. I would add this exercise in addition to the stuff I do on ME bench press day.

My question is this: for maximum chest hypertrophy, would I be better off using this move before my bench press, to pre-exhaust the pecs, resulting in a lower bench? Or would I be better off benching first, then finishing off the pecs with this move, but resulting in lower weight being used for this move?

Or maybe I should just do it on a different day altogether.

Or… am I totally off track and something else might work better?

Feedback welcome.

[quote]michaelv wrote:
Chad, or others, one of the things I am most interested in working on improving is my chest. I have just started QD, and am thinking about making one minor tweak.

I have read various threads and opinions about the bench press and other moves for chest development. I think the move that might be really good would be a “cable pec flye”. In other words, I would lay on the bench between two cable crossovers, I would use the lower handles, and pull the cables up and together, over my chest. I would add this exercise in addition to the stuff I do on ME bench press day.

My question is this: for maximum chest hypertrophy, would I be better off using this move before my bench press, to pre-exhaust the pecs, resulting in a lower bench? Or would I be better off benching first, then finishing off the pecs with this move, but resulting in lower weight being used for this move?

Or maybe I should just do it on a different day altogether.

Or… am I totally off track and something else might work better?

Feedback welcome. [/quote]

To make the cable chest exercise super effective, hold a db in each hand. The dbs will effectively stress the bottom portion of the movement, while the cables will stress the top portion. It’s definitely one of the best chest exercises for hypertrophy. Perform it first in your workout.

…also, the movement I recommend is not a “fly”, instead it’s a bench press movement. You’ll need to use the straps in order to “attach” the cable to your elbow area. Again, hold a db in each hand.

Oh, OK, the thing I was proposing was what I just came up with myself, though I do like adding dumbbells. But I think I do remember you mentioning this thing before with the bands/straps.

It sounds like you’re describing two different movements: DB + cable, stiff-arm arch, bringing hands together, and bench press with elbows hooked to straps/cables or bands. Is that correct?

So, are you suggesting I replace the BB bench press with a DB bench press with cables/bands hooked to elbows? Or are you suggesting I am OK in adding my cable “fly” + dumbbells before I do the BB bench press?

I think you’re saying the former, rather than the latter.

Thanks!

I also like Chads dumbell cable-bench hybrid-movement. It provides tension throughout the whole range of motion.I do however have an exercise that is probably the best exercise for streching out the chest and making it supper-supper-sore. I got this one from the great Larry Scott. The movement is very similar to a fly, but it is 50 times better. You need two eight feet long chains. You attach these to the top of a power rack and at the bottom of the chains you put one stirup handle on each chain. About 4 feet behind the chains you put a flat bench with its length being parallel to the to chains. Now just put your feet on the bench while facing the ground, grab a handle in each hand, and start to do a fly. At first you probably won’t get too many reps, but after a few tries you will be able to really improve. Also, don’t short change yourself - you can get a incrediable range of motion out of this exersize. Is similar to what gymnastics do.

I think the movement being referred to has appeard in an article with illustrations before, but I’m not sure. Sorry I can’t be of more help. Maybe someone else knows what I’m talking about.