T Nation

CW: Athletic Training

one thing i have always been wondering is the way Chad would set up an athletic training program, as the main goal of the programs he usually provides us grateful T-Men is usually hypetrophy and or strength. I am not saying there is anything wrong with this, but I was wondering, Chad, how you would specifically set up a program for an athlete?

[quote]jrl41090 wrote:
one thing i have always been wondering is the way Chad would set up an athletic training program, as the main goal of the programs he usually provides us grateful T-Men is usually hypetrophy and or strength. I am not saying there is anything wrong with this, but I was wondering, Chad, how you would specifically set up a program for an athlete?[/quote]

It depends on the athletes’ needs. Obviously, I don’t design programs for linemen in the same fashion that I design programs for basketball. Give me more specific info regarding the sport in question and I’ll fill you in.

Great question.

CW,

I train kickboxing for hour Mon through Thurs. Balancing this with work and lifting has been tough. My latest plan has been to train with weights for a quick 30 to 45 minutes about 30 minutes prior to kickboxing using Dan Johns One Lift a Day program.

Each day I do a big lift and thats pretty much it. Each week I change the set rep scheme, eg, 10x3, 5x5, 6x3, 5-3-2, etc. DJs program calls for every fourth week off, which I plan to follow. Sound like a solid plan? (I know the results are what count and I will adjust as I go as needed, but just wondering from an initial design standpoint.)

thanks a lot

I forgot I wanted to add my training goals, ranked;

1. body comp improvement
  2. strength
  3. hypertrophy

i was wondering more how you would design an athletic program for a basketball player, that requires both good anaerobic and aerobic abilities, in addition with a need for a high vertical leap and speed and explosiveness in the lower body.

How would you train a college polevaulter in the offseason (4 months)
Heh, My offseason is coming up and Im still wondering what my offseason lifting should look like.

Thanks,
-poper

[quote]bino wrote:
Great question.

CW,

I train kickboxing for hour Mon through Thurs. Balancing this with work and lifting has been tough. My latest plan has been to train with weights for a quick 30 to 45 minutes about 30 minutes prior to kickboxing using Dan Johns One Lift a Day program.

Each day I do a big lift and thats pretty much it. Each week I change the set rep scheme, eg, 10x3, 5x5, 6x3, 5-3-2, etc. DJs program calls for every fourth week off, which I plan to follow. Sound like a solid plan? (I know the results are what count and I will adjust as I go as needed, but just wondering from an initial design standpoint.)

thanks a lot[/quote]

I’d recommend spacing your weight-training and kickboxing sessions 6-8 hours apart, if possible. If not, just attempt to space out the two sessions as far as your schedule allows.

[quote]jrl41090 wrote:
i was wondering more how you would design an athletic program for a basketball player, that requires both good anaerobic and aerobic abilities, in addition with a need for a high vertical leap and speed and explosiveness in the lower body.[/quote]

I train most basketball players with large loads and low reps. Their endurance training is more than sufficient. I focus on compound movements while emphasizing the importance of “attempting” to lift the load as fast as possible (even though the actual velocity will be slow). Exercises such as squats, deads, power cleans, snatch and step ups work well to increase vertical power.

Chad, how would you set up an athletic program for wrestling? It requires extreme anaerobic endurance and a high level of strength-speed, and to a moderate degree slow strength and strength-speed.

U might want to look at CT’s Athletic Pendulum. I’m loving it!