Cutting Workout

Hey first Forum post,
looking for the best program for getting lean and cut. I have been working out for a couple years, mostly power lifting from football, now that its over, looking to get rid of some fat that i’ve been carrying around too. Looking for help from the T-Nation members on a good nutrition plan and lifting routine…I know this is a lot to be asking but I have been searching around the forums, and thought it just post this instead.

Currently
Height 5’11’’
Weight 240lbs
Max Bench 365 lbs
Max Squat 425 lbs
Max Deadlift 515 lbs
Any info would be great

Welcome, but sorry to burst your bubble, but you have not been searching.

Diet is first. As you didn’t post anything (current diet), not much we can help you with.

Workout: We have no idea what you are doing now, so kind of hard to recommend something. “mostly power lifting for football” is not a program I recognize.

Specifics would be nice…

Sounds somewhat familiar to where I was when I started to try and lose the fat. As stated, its hard to help much without knowing your diet or workout routine. My biggest advice is to not try and do too much too fast. I cut carbs out of my diet way to fast and it hurt my training intensity more than I realized. I would evaluate exactly what you are eating to get a good idea of where you sit with total calories and a macro count.

From there you can get a pretty good idea of your maintenance calories which you will probably want to know when setting a goal for daily or weekly calories/nutrition. Everyone responds a little different to carb/protein/fat ratio so you might need to experiment with this.

As far as the workouts go, I’ve found that keeping your workouts intense are about the only thing you can do to help with getting leaner. Cut your rest time down and don’t be afraid to experiment with different rep ranges, I’ve enjoyed working in the 8-15 rep range for these workouts. I know this is pretty general information but to get specific requires more info about your current nutrition/workout patterns.

Welcome to the forum.

Your primary purpose in the weight room should be to maintain or build muscle. Losing fat will primarily come from eating less and maybe doing a bit of cardio/conditioning, but your diet will make or break your fat loss goals.

This feels like an excuse to post maxes online. I find it hard to believe you couldn’t find an answer to your problems very easily using the search button. Even so:

The best cutting workout I know is preparing a big slow cooker full of good quality food. It won’t look good on instagram, but it might actually work.

[quote]U.P.Strong wrote:
Hey first Forum post,
looking for the best program for getting lean and cut. I have been working out for a couple years, mostly power lifting from football, now that its over, looking to get rid of some fat that i’ve been carrying around too. Looking for help from the T-Nation members on a good nutrition plan and lifting routine…I know this is a lot to be asking but I have been searching around the forums, and thought it just post this instead.

Currently
Height 5’11’’
Weight 240lbs
Max Bench 365 lbs
Max Squat 425 lbs
Max Deadlift 515 lbs
Any info would be great [/quote]

1. Nutrition.
  2. Nutrition.
  3. Nutrition
  4. Cardio/HIIT
  5. A supplemental weight lifting program if you want to train differently. One of my favorites (and ironically just re-posted to the front page) is CW’s 10x3 for fat loss.