Cutting with Bodyweight Exercises

Hey Folks:
Do you think it is possible to obtain the lean and cut look with high rep bodyweight exercises and cardio? Obviously, making sure the diet is clean. I realize size will not be a factor, but wonder if you can still look really cut when training predominantly slow twich fibers? Anybody have any experience with this type of training and look? Maybe some military guys have some insight.

You’ll probably lose a lot of strength and the associated density.

Aside for muscle tonus, I think much would have to do with your current size. I would expect you to lose some size with only bodyweight training. So, if you don’t have enough muscle, you might just end up skinny.

Pavel’s book Naked Warrior covers how to do various bodyweight excersises for strenght using low reps.

He uses various techniques to make the excersise increasingly difficult. Why do you only want to do bw excersises?

Bodyweight exercises don’t go hand in hand with slow twitch fibers. If you can manage full range handstand pushups (with your hands on two chairs) for enough reps to be considered slow-twich . . . you’re a freak.
Anyway, I think I’m qualified to answer since I’ve just done about a month and a half of bodyweight calisthenics while dieting slightly. Of course it works, but you’ll lose strength on your lifting. I, however, did not lose any muscle size.

It has nothing to do with what movements you perform. It has to do with two words: “progressive resistance.”

If you make a movement progressively more difficult you will gain size and strength. For example, with Push-ups you can put a plate on your back, or wear a weight vest. As you get stronger continue to add weight.

Obviously, you can do the same thing with any “body weight” movement. You can use bands, plates, a vest whatever. Just keep adding weight as you move along.

Folks:
I appreciate all your responses, honestly. But, I specifically put information in my post so I would avoid the typical answers I knew people would give. I am talking about high rep bodyweight exercises such as what they do in the military. I know I won’t keep my size or strength. My concern is whether I will be able to look lean and cut with a good diet doing these exercises.

I thought because I would be doing high reps that I would use predominantly slow twitch fibers and this might make me look too smooth.  

Anybody else have experience with this type of training?  I hope no one takes offense to my reply.  I certainly don't mean to come off like a prick.  I just want answers that relate to my specific question.  Thanks

[quote]fitfreak wrote:
Folks:
I appreciate all your responses, honestly. But, I specifically put information in my post so I would avoid the typical answers I knew people would give. I am talking about high rep bodyweight exercises such as what they do in the military. I know I won’t keep my size or strength. My concern is whether I will be able to look lean and cut with a good diet doing these exercises.

I thought because I would be doing high reps that I would use predominantly slow twitch fibers and this might make me look too smooth.  

Anybody else have experience with this type of training?  I hope no one takes offense to my reply.  I certainly don't mean to come off like a prick.  I just want answers that relate to my specific question.  Thanks[/quote]

Good diet + High Rep Callistenics and you will probably look ok but wont be stopping traffic or fighting the ladies off with a stick.

Furey…is that you? Seriously brother I am curious why do you need this info? I mean are you unwilling or unable to train in any other way?

As far as “typical” answers fuck all man from what I see in the gyms everyday these are anything but typical answer. You got some good guidance, most of the fuckheads in any gym would have given you a load of bull shit.

So yeah if you just gotta do high rep bw call. then go ahead but dont expect major transformations in your physique or to move mountains.

modify bodyweight exercises so that they are NOT easy:

pistols
hand stand pushups
1 arm pullups

this doesn’t exactly answer your question, but have you considered this? (i don’t know how damned beefy and strong you are.)

Bastard!

Thanks for the input after my reply.

Okay, I’ll give you some more info. Basically, I’ve been lifting for a while(over 10yrs) and think I just might need something new. I am not a big guy. I am a lifer(meaning my body just won’t seem to jump any higher) at a bodyweight of between 130-145 and 5’5". When I am cutting I obviously am 130 and look very skinny especially with clothes on. When 145 I still look skinny with most clothes on but then when the shirt comes off or a tight shirt it is obvious I have a serious physique. However, I have to work like an animal to keep that physique and never really feel healthy.

One winter I went on a bodyweight exercise routine that was extremely hardcore. I followed Stewart Smith’s routine for the Navy SEALS for the exercises and did some serious cardio. Never in my life did I feel so good. I could work myself to the bone and at the drop of a hat,at any time during the day(even after my killer workout) I could perform without worrying about the fact that I already worked out and won’t be at my best. Problem was that I never tuned in my diet and wasn’t very happy with the way I looked. Very smooth and unmuscular looking with no cuts.

So back to my original question. What can I do differently than all the other workouts(Waterbury, EDT, traditional bodybuilding, low rep, Berardi, that I’ve tried)that will keep me motivated and make me feel good, and make me look good. But, make me healthy, keep my time down in the gym, address most of the performance issues and still keep me cut and muscular?

I know I’m asking for the world, but I’m starting to get sick of the weights, yet I still am motivated to workout hard. I’m willing to give up some size and strength to feel good and look lean. Because it’s hard to look big in clothes no matter how big I get and when you’re lean and somewhat muscular you can get away with not being so big.

I know this isn’t you’re typical T-Man type of question, but I’m hoping someone can either convince me of a particular type of training that might fit my needs or point me in a direction which I haven’t considered. I used my original question because I thought that might be the right avenue. Enlighten me if I’m wrong. Thanks again.