Cutting Weight - No Longer Hungry

So I’ve been on a caloric deficit for a while now while I cut. I don’t even get hungry anymore and I get full really easily (probably cause I’m eating high protein, high fiber, healthy fats etc…), but I’m worried I may be eating too little. I’m a a big dude and I’m only getting about 1300 calories and then I’m full for the day. Should I force myself to eat even if I’m not hungry?

1300 has to be rough… I don’t see how you could be getting enough protein to keep up your muscle mass… I am about to do a cut at 2400 cal a day… either your eating to little or I’m eating to much… Hopefully an expert will comment below!!

Height? Weight? Level of leanness? Are you still losing weight consistently? How much cardio?

Muscles memory.
You do not face a contest within 12 weeks so you can afford to loose a bit of muscles.
That will spring back off quickly.
Woman use 900-1,000.
You can use 1,300-1,500.
It works so keep it.

[quote]BHappy wrote:
Muscles memory.
You do not face a contest within 12 weeks so you can afford to loose a bit of muscles.
Woman use 900-1,000.
You can use 1,300-1,500.
It works so keep it.[/quote]

Pretty bad advice IMO, those numbers are near rock bottom, especially depending on weight. Why would someone what to be able to afford to lose metabolically active tissue when trying to lose weight. Given that they don’t have a contest coming up the opposite should be true, they can afford to keep all the muscle.

5’9 179lbs (down from 220) Body fat% in the twenties. loosing about 2lbs a week. 8mins of HIIT after my lifts, and twenty minutes on my off days.

[quote]BHappy wrote:
Muscles memory.
Woman use 900-1,000.
You can use 1,300-1,500.
It works so keep it.[/quote]

Johnny… Is that you…?

I’m not an expert, but my experience indicates that BMR and caloric requirements really vary widely–especially for larger people. I have lost 180lbs over 2.5 years (yes, I was 430 lbs and now at 250 at 5’10). Currently I’m trying to lose another 25lbs…I’m probably around 24-28% body fat if you believe those handheld impedance machines, which I don’t.

I run a 4 day a week Wendler 5/3/1 and do a moderate amount of cardio (stairs, running, rowing, biking, hiking). I’m a pretty active person and, for 250lbs, am in pretty good shape (resting heart rate around 55bpm FWIW).

Listening to conventional wisdom, I have been told Ishould be eating anywhere from 2200 calories a day up to 2700. I’m religious about tracking intake and output and I can say with certainty that conventional wisdom is wrong. My maintenance, even with my activity level, seems to be around 1600-1700 calories per day. Nobody believes me, but I have years of data and experience that backs me up. If I eat more than that, I gain weight. I am around 1500 calories a day to lose weight and probably am burning 300-500 calories in exercise 4-5 times a week.

Recent research is showing that when people have been significantly overweight for some time and then lose it, their metabolism is basically f’d for life. I suspect this is why my maintenance is so low. In any event, the point is, take general recommendations with a grain of salt. Every person is different and requires some trial and error to figure out. Personally, I would start out eating 2000 calories for a couple weeks with your normal activity level and see what happens. If you gain weight, adjust downwards.

If you lose too much, adjust upwards, etc. At the end of the day, there is an awful lot we don’t know about the human body and nutrition, so general rules are great, but really need to be tested against your own individual circumstances. Just my humble opinion anyways.

[quote]valkairon wrote:
5’9 179lbs (down from 220) Body fat% in the twenties. loosing about 2lbs a week. 8mins of HIIT after my lifts, and twenty minutes on my off days. [/quote]

Congrats on the weight lost, it’s good progress. Definitely get those calories in even if you are not hungry 1300 is pretty low. I would even consider adding calories to aim for slower weight loss with the benefit of decreasing the risk of killing your metabolism. Heck you could even consider eating for maintenance and trying to build some muscle since at that height weight and bf% your not carrying a ton of muscle.

[quote]Mdgray82 wrote:

[quote]valkairon wrote:
5’9 179lbs (down from 220) Body fat% in the twenties. loosing about 2lbs a week. 8mins of HIIT after my lifts, and twenty minutes on my off days. [/quote]

Congrats on the weight lost, it’s good progress. Definitely get those calories in even if you are not hungry 1300 is pretty low. I would even consider adding calories to aim for slower weight loss with the benefit of decreasing the risk of killing your metabolism. Heck you could even consider eating for maintenance and trying to build some muscle since at that height weight and bf% your not carrying a ton of muscle.[/quote]
Agree with this! As Layne Norton would call it… Your setting yourself up for metabolic Damage at 1300 calories. If you haven’t seen this video clip, It’s definitely worth the watch OP.