T Nation

Cutting Weight and Creatine

I'm planning to do a strongman contest on November 2nd in the 200lb weight class. Right now I'm about 215 in the morning. I've lost about 10 lbs over the past 3 weeks, so I'm feeling okay about getting to weight. The weigh-in is 24 hours before the contest, so I will have a chance to re-carb afterwards. I have two related questions.

--What is the best way to go about dropping a lot of weight in the days leading up the weigh in and then getting it back before the contest? I know people will swing 10lbs or more and that's what I'l like to try to do. I'm controlling my macros to be in a slight deficit and am shooting to be around 207 about 1 week before the contest. Then I drop seven lbs of water and get it back after weighing in. How is this done?

--I haven't supplemented creatine before other than what is in my protein powder (which I don't know the quantity). I was considering starting taking creatine but I understand it may make me retain water. Is now not a good time to start if I'm trying to do what I laid out in point 1?

This is what I've done before:

Assuming a Fri weigh in, drink a gallon of water Tue, 2 gallons Wed, 3 gallons on Thu, cutting out all liquids and food 18-24 hours prior to the weigh-in. If your weigh-ins are early on Fri, it may be very hard to get in that 3 gallons 18 hours prior, but do your best.

You will likely gain a little weight on Wed and Thu morning, but by Thu you should be peeing every 15 min. This will continue even after ceasing water intake. If you feel you need to, you can also add in hot showers, homemade hotel room saunas and/or sitting in your car w the heater on as the weigh ins get close. Post-weigh ins I'd drink a gallon of water before eating anything. Some people prefer pedialyte or a 50/50 mix of water and gatorade. When you start eating, I'd strongly advise you to stick to whatever you normally eat. Some people think they need to go w junkfood to get in a lot of carbs, in my experience that upsets my stomach. Be sure to add salt to your food as well. That's as far as food and drink choice goes, I hope it goes without being said that the amount should be as much as you can

15lbs is a lot to cut for a 200lber, but I dont think you need to go all the way to 207, maybe 210 should be enough? I wouldnt be in a caloric deficit for the week of the contest, but if you have any experience w low- or no-carb diets, you can institute that in order to deplete glycogen.

On the one hand it's pretty simple, on the other hand there's lot of personalization and preference for different methods, let me know if you have specific questions.

This is what I've done before:

Assuming a Fri weigh in, drink a gallon of water Tue, 2 gallons Wed, 3 gallons on Thu, cutting out all liquids and food 18-24 hours prior to the weigh-in. If your weigh-ins are early on Fri, it may be very hard to get in that 3 gallons 18 hours prior, but do your best.

You will likely gain a little weight on Wed and Thu morning, but by Thu you should be peeing every 15 min. This will continue even after ceasing water intake. If you feel you need to, you can also add in hot showers, homemade hotel room saunas and/or sitting in your car w the heater on as the weigh ins get close.

Post-weigh ins I'd drink a gallon of water before eating anything. Some people prefer pedialyte or a 50/50 mix of water and gatorade. When you start eating, I'd strongly advise you to stick to whatever you normally eat. Some people think they need to go w junkfood to get in a lot of carbs, in my experience that upsets my stomach. Be sure to add salt to your food as well. That's as far as food and drink choice goes, I hope it goes without being said that the amount should be as much as you can

15lbs is a lot to cut for a 200lber, but I dont think you need to go all the way to 207, maybe 210 should be enough? I wouldnt be in a caloric deficit for the week of the contest, but if you have any experience w low- or no-carb diets, you can institute that in order to deplete glycogen.

On the one hand it's pretty simple, on the other hand there's lot of personalization and preference for different methods, let me know if you have specific questions.

Thanks for the response. I'm sure I'll have some questions as I get closer to the contest. The thing is that long term I think I'll be happier walking around closer to 200lbs so I figure I'll move in that direction (if I could be a lean 220 or 240, I'd go with it, but I'm 5'10" and for the time being I'm just fat at 220, so I'm going to drop the weight). However, I don't want to drop too fast so I think a water manipulation might be better for this competition.