Cutting Weight and Creatine

I am currently weighing 175, and i was thinking about taking some creatine, but there are some grappling tournaments coming up in a few weeks on the 21st of april or so and the weight limit is 160. Usually when I lift and take creatine i can gain like 10 or 15 pounds in a few weeks.

Have any of you ever used creatine to lose weight? I know you should be drinking like a gallon of water when you take it, but everytime i have taken it I take the 20 grams a day for the first 5 days and then 5 grams a day for the next month or so.

Are you taking super creatine? 10-15 pounds is unlikely gains from creatine. I do believe that it makes you retain water and that is the reason for the weight gain, but again 10-15 pounds seems like a lot.

Yes.

I’ve taken creatine while trying to lose bf% and it worked (wasn’t taking creatine to lose bf%). Good luck losing 15lbs in 2weeks though

[quote]ricekakes wrote:
Are you taking super creatine? 10-15 pounds is unlikely gains from creatine. I do believe that it makes you retain water and that is the reason for the weight gain, but again 10-15 pounds seems like a lot.[/quote]

yea its not just from the creatine. I’ll start squatting and eating lots more. Ive gained 10-15 pounds in a month, mostly muscle, not all muscle, but i mean super squats says gain 30 lbs in six weeks so thats not unlikely. Losing 15 pounds in two weeks is nothing.

People at my gym cut that in two days, i can lose 5 pounds in the summer wearing a gi sweating like pig, but I was just wondering if any of you guys had competed at something with a weight limit and used creatine while you were cutting weight.

Being a wrestler i’m sure that putting on 15lbs is no problem if you been dieting down to stay in your weight class. Gaining 30lbs in 6 weeks is almost impossible unless you’ve been starving yourself for a year and one day decided to eat non-stop for 6 weeks. lol Water manipulation on the other hand can be decieving. I have dropped 8lbs of water in a 24hr time period before but keeping that off is impossible.

you either cramp, feel like crap, forever and probably eventually get very sick and/or die from dehydration. Creatine’s function is to allow the muscles in the body to burn more atp because creatine is pulling more atp into the muscle. Atp mostly comes form stored glycogen. So creatine while dieting and losing or cutting weight is a good theory as long as you are properly hydrated.

Using a creatine while dehydrated on the other hand may be unsafe. Creatine needs water to perform it’s function. If you are dehydrated you may cramp and cause damage to your liver and kidneys. I’ve never used creatine while dehydrated but have used it during dieting for a bodybuilding comp. I was off the creatine for a week before dehydrating myself for the stage. Hope this helps

-gerdy