Cutting Too Early.

Is it a mistake for someone who is wanting to cut body fat to do a cut before he has built enough muscle mass for him to cut back to? I mean I am approx 220 pounds or so and each and every time I have tried to drop the fat I end up looking gaunt in the face long before my abs show. Then it occurred to me that perhaps I was trying to cut back to insufficiently built muscle. Even carrying a little excess body fat should I just still try to build up my mass before cutting down?

I’m only quoting myself because I don’t feel like typing this all over again.
From another thread:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Here’s the problem with situations like this as I see it and why I think Phil is on the right track. Cutting, bulking, whatever are not words guys who are this new to the game need to be concerned with. He doesn’t actually care what anybody calls it, if he were to be questioned closely, he just wants to get healthier and in better shape.

Tell him to cut and he’ll likely wind up eating way too little, doing excessive cardio and damaging his metabolism. Tell him to bulk, which Phil didn’t, and he probably won’t wind up getting much leaner which he can definitely afford assuming 20% is accurate.

Tell him to eat 6 clean, well balanced, moderately sized meals a day while working a basic beginners program and he will not have preconceived notions of cutting or bulking in his way as he begins to lose fat, gain some muscle and not suffer from the drawbacks of attempting to do what won’t probably help him for a year or 2 at least.

This guy is a textbook example of when losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time is not only possible, but the preferred method. Yes folks you heard me say that. The eternal longing of so many, getting leaner and bigger at the same time. New trainees who are soft and scrawny can and should do just that.

Goals are good, but he isn’t in a position to have very specific ones yet. Get to a certain weight? What difference does that make for a small soft guy. Get to a certain BF%? Here comes the preoccupation with calorie restriction, BF tests of dubious accuracy and probably the scale none of which will do him any good at this point.

No, eat intelligently and train like a man with CONSISTENCY and PATIENCE while watching the mirror. He can post back here with questions about adjustments as he sees how it’s going if need be.

Do what you want friend. You are at the simplest point in your lifting career. Not the easiest, but the simplest. Over complicate it now and it will take you much longer than it has to see eye popping improvements in your physique and health.[/quote]

That’s a great post tirib, what thread is that on?

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
I’m only quoting myself because I don’t feel like typing this all over again.
From another thread:

Tiribulus wrote:
Here’s the problem with situations like this as I see it and why I think Phil is on the right track. Cutting, bulking, whatever are not words guys who are this new to the game need to be concerned with. He doesn’t actually care what anybody calls it, if he were to be questioned closely, he just wants to get healthier and in better shape.

Tell him to cut and he’ll likely wind up eating way too little, doing excessive cardio and damaging his metabolism. Tell him to bulk, which Phil didn’t, and he probably won’t wind up getting much leaner which he can definitely afford assuming 20% is accurate.

Tell him to eat 6 clean, well balanced, moderately sized meals a day while working a basic beginners program and he will not have preconceived notions of cutting or bulking in his way as he begins to lose fat, gain some muscle and not suffer from the drawbacks of attempting to do what won’t probably help him for a year or 2 at least.

This guy is a textbook example of when losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time is not only possible, but the preferred method. Yes folks you heard me say that. The eternal longing of so many, getting leaner and bigger at the same time. New trainees who are soft and scrawny can and should do just that.

Goals are good, but he isn’t in a position to have very specific ones yet. Get to a certain weight? What difference does that make for a small soft guy. Get to a certain BF%? Here comes the preoccupation with calorie restriction, BF tests of dubious accuracy and probably the scale none of which will do him any good at this point.

No, eat intelligently and train like a man with CONSISTENCY and PATIENCE while watching the mirror. He can post back here with questions about adjustments as he sees how it’s going if need be.

Do what you want friend. You are at the simplest point in your lifting career. Not the easiest, but the simplest. Over complicate it now and it will take you much longer than it has to see eye popping improvements in your physique and health.[/quote]

This is spot on.

You should “culk”.

[quote]Scott M wrote:
That’s a great post tirib, what thread is that on?[/quote]

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1740763

The whole bulking and cutting models are the exact wrong way for most people to approach training in my opinion.