T Nation

Cutting to Make Weight - IPF

Hey guys, from what I understand about CPU meets is that there is usually only about an hour between weigh in and your first squat attempt. Whats the best way to go about cutting < 5 pounds and then rehydrating so as to keep as much strength as possible?

If someone who does this regularly could just give me a rundown of what they do the days leading up to the comp and then what they eat and drink after weigh in that would be greatly appreciated. (Already know STB's response will be "weightclasses are dumb")

I use these protocols and they work. If you are fat like me and usually eat a lot of carbs you can drop a lot of water weight in just a few days and keep your strength. I weighed in at 247 yesterday morning, 243.5 this morning, and I am pretty confident I'll be under 242 tomorrow morning without any significant loss of strength.

I'll be eating chicken, broccoli, and almonds today anytime I get hungry and pounding down the water. Tonight, I'll eat a few lemons and piss like a race horse a few times during he night and should be under in the morning.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/making_weight.htm

If weightclasses are dumb, why the fuck does he compete in gear?

I've been doing this to cut to 242 and then get back up to about 246 to 247 with a two-hour weighin:

http://www.usaplforum.com/cgi-bin/usapl.pl?read=1948

I just pre-weighed in on the meet scale, I had .9 kilos to spare and felt great. So I just had 6 eggs (8oz.) 4 oz. of coffee, and 4 oz. of water. Weigh-in is at noon, then its time to pig out on PB&J.

Weightclasses are dumb

Just a little bit unrelated to the topic of this post, but I just though of it.

Say that a lifter is supposed to lift in the 100.0kg class (old IPF weight classes).

So he goes on the weight 3 hours before he is supposed to lift, and he's slightly dehydrated. He weighs in at 100.0kg exactly. He quickly eats some salt tablets (or whatever tricks the experienced guys use), eats and drinks a lot. When it comes to the start of the lifting, his weight might have increased a couple of kilos.

So now he is 102kg. Another lifter weighs in at 101kg and has to start in the 110kg class.

So would it not be more fair to have a weight that the lifter have to step on every time before a lift
to see if he qualifies for the correct class? In the case pictured above, we have a lifter at 102kg competing in the 100kg class, and a lifter at 101kg competing in the 110kg class.

So for instance a lifter sets a new record in one class, and he actually is 2 or 3kg over the limit for that class, should the record be valid?

I know the rules are like that the weigh-in is a few hours before the meet, and of course there's hardly any advantage for a lifter to drop weight before a meet, but some lifters have done this countless times and state that they do not lose much if any power from the procedure.

So, in reality it's not effective weight classes on the platform. The weight class is all about making a certain weight at a certain point before the meet starts.

Perhaps height-classes would be better? -160cm, 160-170cm,170-180cm,180-190cm, 190cm+ :slight_smile:

This is exactly the reason why weight classes are dumb. They don't even really exist.

I think any system would have its own flaws but in your example the 101kg lifter does have the advantage of being able to gain ~8kg for the next meet and still compete in the same class. Yes in the current meet he may have a slight disadvantage but that's the way it goes sometimes.

If you aren't willing to cut and then get your weight back up, then you can't complain when someone who is, does! It's a level playing field in that everyone can cut, just not everyone knows how or is willing to put up with the pain.
To the OP, what is your weight division? If you're 200+ then losing 5lbs should be relatively simple.