T Nation

Cutting Sucks

So I started cutting about 5 days ago, nothing major. Just reduced my carbs from around 400 to 275-300, dependi.g on my caloric output for the day.

Normally I am freKy vascular at any given time. Today, I look flat with minimal vascularity…is this simply the lower carbs effecting my blood viscousity?

Any helpful input would be appreciated.

Uh yeah, less carbs are going to make you feel flat, and because there is less glycogen in your muscles you won’t be as vascular looking.

I’m very vascular at 250-275 carbs per day.

You just need to get leaner. Everyone enters a point on their diet where they feel flat, small and don’t see much progress. Those that stick with it eventually get to a leaness where they look better on a daily basis, but it seems if you start at higher body fat level you will look shitty at some point on your cut before you look awesome.

+1

Yes it is always frustrating at first. You go from looking and feeling big and strong to hardly filling the T-shirts very quickly as glycogen drops. For me atleast this is a necessary evil as glycogen levels need to be low before the body switches over to fat as it primary energy source. I find this takes a few weeks but once you are over the hump its all good.

Expect the bar to start to feel quite heavy too as your weight drops. Energy levels in the gym will start to wane. Dont worry too much about muscle loss though as lower glycogen and less bodyfat around stablising joints can drop your strength.

For me the annoying thing is that as I lose fat my body seems to change its prefered places to store fat and take it away from the places that I cant see and put it where I can. This effect is further enhanced by the fact that I only get to see maybe 25% of my body in the bathroom mirror!

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
I’m very vascular at 250-275 carbs per day.

You just need to get leaner. Everyone enters a point on their diet where they feel flat, small and don’t see much progress. Those that stick with it eventually get to a leaness where they look better on a daily basis, but it seems if you start at higher body fat level you will look shitty at some point on your cut before you look awesome. [/quote]

trudat.

I’m at the point now where I don’t even like to look at myself in the morning until atleast an hour after my first meal because I just feel like I look flat as shit.

But I’m at a point now where most weeks every pound lost shows great improvement in the physique, sure there are days where you feel unimpressed by yourself but fuck it, it’s cutting it can’t always be glorious.

Thanks for all the responses guys. Makes me feel less alone during this shitty transition period lol.