Cutting & Strength

Hey guys,

I’ve been cutting now for about three to four weeks. I’ve lost some weight so far, people have said that I look better for it. The only problem is that my strength has generally gone down. My bench, deadlift, squat and dips etc.

For example my squat has gone down about 7kg.
This is my first time I’ve tried to lose body fat, I’ve been bulking for some time. So my question is that is it normal to expect some strength loss when dieting? I’ve been following t-dawg 2.0 for my diet and Chad Waterbury’s 10x3 for fat loss for my training.

Thanks for any help.

If your strength is going down then you have MAJOR issues !

You must be screwing something up with the diet… your str should stay static or even increase NOT drop 7 KGS.

Maybe have some simple carbs pre workout or something ?

[quote]Emre wrote:
Hey guys

I’ve been cutting now for about three to four weeks. I’ve lost some weight so far, people have said that I look better for it. The only problem is that my strength has generally gone down. My bench, deadlift, squat and dips etc. For example my squat has gone down about 7kg.
This is my first time I’ve tried to lose body fat, I’ve been bulking for some time.

So my question is that is it normal to expect some strength loss when dieting? I’ve been following t-dawg 2.0 for my diet and Chad Waterbury’s 10x3 for fat loss for my training.

Thanks for any help.[/quote]

Get some BCAAs and take 7.5-15 grams between meals and 40-60 grams during your workout.

I have heard that very little strength loss and/or muscle mass loss is not that unheard of, but that 7kg already is too much.

It’s normal to lose strength while cutting, although that does seem like a high number. If possible, try focusing more on a set rep scheme designed solely to build strength. That should at least help to keep your strength from going down as much as it has been.

While these guys definitely have enough posts to know what they are talking about, I thought it was fairly common knowledge to expect to lose some strength (and some muscle) while cutting.

I’m not talking about a huge amount here though and 7 kgs sounds like a bit much. However, that may be less due to real strength loss than to your body adjusting to lower calories. I would expect anyone to lift 5 kgs less simply based on eating a lot less than usual.