T Nation

Cutting Question for Professor X

I have an Olympic weightlifting competition coming up and I need to lose that last 10 lbs. I figure the rules are about the same for bodybuilding (i.e. losing as much fat as possible and as little muscle.

I weigh 100kg (220lbs) and need to cut to 94kg (207lbs) in 3 weeks.

I’m at about 10-12% body fat and right now I eat 1 gram of protein per pound of lbm and about
the same for carbs. I also make sure to get my fish oils in and about 50-60 grams of non saturated fat. I would like to lose as little strength as possible as well but my training should take care of that.

I know you are one of the more respected people on T-Nation so I have come to you.
Thanks for any help/advice

I have no idea if you have already dropped weight up to this point and that has much to do with what you will see in only three weeks.

The first week of a diet is mostly just going to see the loss of body water. If you haven’t dropped much body weight yet, you could probably lose anywhere from 5-10lbs just by water manipulation using tools like the sauna, cardio and reducing carbs to almost zero but doing this over 3 weeks will result in muscle lost as well if you don’t have the genetics and the protein intake to support this.

If you have already dropped significant weight, simply keep dieting, INCREASE YOUR PROTEIN INTAKE, reduce carbs and continue cardio and hope you make the deadline.

3 weeks is just enough to see a little fat loss if done right (but not 10lbs worth) but also just short enough to cause you to lose muscle mass if you rush it.

No one can really help you out more than that without knowing significant details about your current physical state as well as how you have been performing lately.

I am no “strength coach” for athletes. I am simply telling you what I have learned from seeing small short term changes in my own body, especially when it comes to making weight because I have been through that before.

When is your weigh-in compared to the competition?

This actually can be a very important detail.

If for example the weigh-in is on the preceding day, you wouldn’t even have to lose any fat at all.

Perhaps you should ask someone that is ‘cut’. Perhaps mightystu. No disrespect x.

That shouldn’t be much of a problem, you should be able to cut an easy 8lbs or more from water weight alone right before the competition if you have to.

[quote]younggully wrote:
Perhaps you should ask someone that is ‘cut’. Perhaps mightystu. No disrespect x.[/quote]

He isn’t asking how to get more “cut” he is asking how to make weight. This is NOT like contest dieting which is why everyone who knows what they are talking about is focusing on body water and asking how how much time between weighin and contest.

Are you sure you are following what is going on?

[quote]counterfeitsoda wrote:
That shouldn’t be much of a problem, you should be able to cut an easy 8lbs or more from water weight alone right before the competition if you have to.[/quote]

That depends on if he has been doing that already. If he already lost that “last ten pounds of water”, then no.

When is your weigh-in in respect to when you have to perform?

I agree with Prof. X…It all depends on if you have already started dieting…If he hasn’t, he has the potential to lose some excess water…

[quote]MODOK wrote:
Dang. One of the founding members from Oct 02…with 34 posts. Where you been?[/quote]

I am not much on posting as you can see. I’ve been a TC follower since 1992 or so with MM2K. I’ve just been more into Olympic Lifting in my old age lol

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:

If for example the weigh-in is on the preceding day, you wouldn’t even have to lose any fat at all.
[/quote]

I have about 2 hours depending on how many…or few competitors there are. It’s a small local comp.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]counterfeitsoda wrote:
That shouldn’t be much of a problem, you should be able to cut an easy 8lbs or more from water weight alone right before the competition if you have to.[/quote]

That depends on if he has been doing that already. If he already lost that “last ten pounds of water”, then no.[/quote]

I do have some water weight and I need to lose that. I have dieted down to my current weight and have stayed there for about a year. I’m down to the stubborn stuff now.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]younggully wrote:
Perhaps you should ask someone that is ‘cut’. Perhaps mightystu. No disrespect x.[/quote]

He isn’t asking how to get more “cut” he is asking how to make weight. This is NOT like contest dieting which is why everyone who knows what they are talking about is focusing on body water and asking how how much time between weighin and contest.

Are you sure you are following what is going on?[/quote]

Agreed, but I think the mighty stu knows some good stuff about cutting water weight as well.

I don’t get threads like these. If you want advice from 1 person, why not just PM?

There’s a thread about this in Powerlifting right now, check out what 165StateChamp does to cut, it’s in “Hungry4More’s First Meet” thread.

Cutting to make weight is very, very different from cutting to look good on stage!

Asking X how to lose weight is like asking Urkel how to get jacked! Just teasing X, someone had to say it.

[quote]AzCats wrote:
Asking X how to lose weight is like asking Urkel how to get jacked! Just teasing X, someone had to say it.[/quote]

I’d say he’s doing alright…

What is up with all the random forum bumps lately?

My little water and carb manipulation ‘tricks’ allow me to drop maybe 5 lbs in the last couple of days before a ‘bodybuilding’ contest, which is based upon appearance, not any actual performance (which is good because I’m weak as hell the day of a show -lol). Experienced strength and MMA athletes can drop much more than I do, 5, 10, even more…supposedly GSP drops 20 lbs for weigh ins and then ‘puts it back’ before his fights. If more time were available, I could easily provide dietary advice, but as PX pointed out, that’s not really what the issue is going to be here.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but this admittedly isn’t my area of expertise :slight_smile:

S

[quote]uwedave wrote:

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:

[/quote]

I have about 2 hours depending on how many…or few competitors there are. It’s a small local comp.[/quote]

Fucking LOL. How did I miss that?
This here is somewhat of a problem. Normally dropping 6kg is not that difficult. Experienced MMA guys can make weight cuts up to 12-15kg depending on the weight (I test ran a 5kg weight cut pretty smoothly). GSP uses a sodium-carb loading/depletion approach a week before the weigh ins and according to his nutritionist (Berardi) doesn’t sit in a sauna.
The difference is MMA guys usually have a day and a half to carb up to (or close to) their original bodyweight, and you don’t. Meaning you’re probably not going to compete at 100% if you make weight.

Guys it was 6 months ago. Now thread… die!