T Nation

Cutting Plan - Need Advice

Starting tomorrow I plan on cutting my bf% from ~19% to 10%. I’m following Layne Norton’s (www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm) Pre-contest Advice.

I was once at 145 at 5’9, but at college I drank a little too much and didn’t eat much. After a year, when I came home this summer I weighed in at 150ish and around 16-17% bf. Then I started eating clean, but I think I was eating too much and put on more bf%, but I weigh 171 now at around 19-20% bf. I want to cut down to around 10-12% and bulk up again, this time doing it right. I feel that if I cut down to a bf% I’m happy with, it’ll be more encouraging to see gains than doing it w/ a gut and load of bf% already.

According to the website I have a mesomorphic body type.

Based off of that I came up with these calculations:

Daily Caloric Intake: 1950
Daily Grams Of Fat: 37 to 50
Daily Grams Of Protein: 204 to 221
Daily Grams Of Carbs: 154 to 201

The foods I plan on eating for my diet consist of:

Proteins:

Tuna
Egg Whites
Chicken Breast
Whey Protein
Cottage Cheese

Carbs:

Oatmeal
Wheat Bread
Fruits
Dextrose (From Gatorade during workout)

Fats:

Omega 3 Capsules / Fish Oil
Flax Seed Oil Capsules

Training:

Monday: (Back / Biceps)

Lat pull down 3x 10-12
Reverse lat pull down 3x 10-12
Close Low row 3x 10-12
Pulldowns 3x 10-12
Low row 3x 10-12
t-bar row 3x 10-12
Pullups to failure
Alternative dumbell curl 3x 8-10
Hammer curl 3x 8-10
Preacher curl 3x 8-10
Concentration curl 3x 8-10

Tuesday: (HIT Cardio on Incline 1.0)

2 minute warmup @ 4.0 mph
1 minute ON @ 10 mph
1 minute OFF @ 5 mph
1 minute ON @ 10 mph
1 minute OFF @ 5 mph
1 minute ON @ 10 mph
1 minute OFF @ 5 mph
1 minute ON @ 10 mph
1 minute OFF @ 5 mph
1 minute ON @ 10 mph
1 minute OFF @ 5 mph
3 minute cooldown @ 3.5 mph

Wednesday: (Legs / Shoulders)

Squats 3x 8-10
Leg press 3x 8-10
Leg extension 3x 8-10
Leg curl 3x 8-10
Calf Raises 3x 8-10
Dumbell Shoulder Press 3x 8-10
Front Raises 3x 8-10
Reverse Pec Dec 3x 8-10
Barbell Shrug 3x 8-10

Thursday: (Cardio)

Same As Tuesday

Friday: (Chest / Triceps)

Flat Dumbell Press 3x 8-10
Incline Dumbell Press 3x 8-10
Flat Flyes 3x 8-10
Pullovers 3x 8-10
Cable Crossovers 3x 8-10
Skullcrushers 3x 8-10
Pushdowns 3x 8-10
Swingbacks 3x 8-10

Saturday: (AM Cardio)

Same as Tues/Thurs

Sunday: REST!

How does that look?

Here’s what my sample diet will look like:

Meal #1:

Oats / Whey / Blended in Water
Banana

Meal #2:

Chicken Breast

Meal #3:

Salad w/ chicken (Balsamic Dressing)

Meal #4:

Tuna on Whole Wheat

Meal #5 (Preworkout):

Whey / Oats Blended in Water
Creatine

Meal #6 (Postworkout)

Whey / Oats Blended in Water
Creatine

Before Bed:

Milk or Cottage Cheese

I tried calculating the nutritional values of each meal, but the online sites don’t seem too accurate or I’m looking at the wrong things. Can someone please tell me what to tweak about it to meet what my macro needs are as shown above. Too little, too much? What should I take out or add.

According to your calculations of @20% bodyfat cutting to @10 and a beginning body weight of 171 lbs you want to cut about 17 pounds of fat, plus no doubt a few pounds of muscle, so you want to end up about a buck fifty? What are you cutting to? Much better to lift and bulk for a bit so that you will see some muscle when you cut.

To me, it looks like even if you’re trying to cut BF you’re way undereating at under 2000 calories a day. You should just log what you’re eating right now for a week or two then decrease the calories by 250-300 a week till you start seeing the weight loss you like. Be sure to be patient though because if you’re going to be gaining muscle mass while losing fat which is going to make it seem slow. Just do it nice and gradual and don’t get disgruntled if you don’t see immediate results. Don’t even step on the scale more than one ever y week.

Thanks guys…I know, I’d rather bulk up as well, but the fat on my midsection is too much to handle. I’d rather lower my bf% a little where I don’t see rolls in my stomach when I sit down with a huge gut.

I’m still not sure what to do because my arms are skinny 14" flexed. I don’t think I have a good amount of lean mass either. What do you guys recommend? Also, I was just reading about HOT-ROX…if I decide to cut should I supplement that?

[quote]weeezy wrote:
Thanks guys…I know, I’d rather bulk up as well, but the fat on my midsection is too much to handle. I’d rather lower my bf% a little where I don’t see rolls in my stomach when I sit down with a huge gut.

I’m still not sure what to do because my arms are skinny 14" flexed. I don’t think I have a good amount of lean mass either. What do you guys recommend? Also, I was just reading about HOT-ROX…if I decide to cut should I supplement that?[/quote]

Start lifting and eat six meals a day 3 hours apart amounting to about 3 grand for now. Front load meal number one a bit and shave a little extra off the remaining 4 regular meals on workout days for the meal after you train.

Even without cardio, I’ll post pictures of myself in a ballerina outfit if you don’t lose all the fat you want while actually gaining some muscle for at least a few months after which you’ll have a better idea how to proceed. Starve yourself and you will wind up smaller and still fatter than you’d like. I promise.

So I should be going for a bulk right now? A little over maintenance calories? As of now, I do eat 6 meals a day 3 hours apart all clean. Today my meals were (1) Protein/Oat shake in Milk (2) Grilled Chicken Wrap (3) Grilled Chicken Wrap (4) Protein/Oat Shake in Water (preworkout) & Creatine (5) Protein/Oat Shake in Milk (postworkout) (6) Before Bed (2-3 Glasses of Milk)

I think I was overreating before when I was bulking. I also drink about ~30 bottles of water a day or a lil more.

[quote]weeezy wrote:
So I should be going for a bulk right now? A little over maintenance calories? As of now, I do eat 6 meals a day 3 hours apart all clean. Today my meals were (1) Protein/Oat shake in Milk (2) Grilled Chicken Wrap (3) Grilled Chicken Wrap (4) Protein/Oat Shake in Water (preworkout) & Creatine (5) Protein/Oat Shake in Milk (postworkout) (6) Before Bed (2-3 Glasses of Milk)

I think I was overreating before when I was bulking. I also drink about ~30 bottles of water a day or a lil more.[/quote]

Bro get some food in there 3 shakes, two wraps and some milk. Hell just some variety will help.

Phill

[quote]weeezy wrote:

I think I was overreating before when I was bulking. I also drink about ~30 bottles of water a day or a lil more.[/quote]

Try not to look at it as bulking or cutting for now. More of just getting in better shape for the time being. You also are not eating near enough fat and too much milk in my opinion. Milk is loaded with lactose, read sugar. Nothin wrong with milk and some of it is good. If it were me I’d lighten up on the regimentation some and throw in some meat, veggies and a little fruit in place of all the shakes and milk. Yes, if you want to lose fat you need to eat some. Your body will get real stingy with whatever it thinks it’s being deprived of. I would also grab a bottle of extra virgin olive oil and some fish oils. Check the big anabolic diet thread in the supps and nutrition forum. Also, at the girls site Jen just did a real good article explaining the anabolic diet.

http://www.musclewithattitude.com/readTopicMwa.do?id=1644317 You may be a prime candidate. Judging from what you’re eating it’ll probably make your hair stand on end reading it, but it works like you wouldn’t believe.

[quote]Phill wrote:

Bro get some food in there 3 shakes, two wraps and some milk. Hell just some variety will help.

Phill[/quote]

We must have been typing at the same time =]