T Nation

Cutting Plan, How's My Workout?

So like I said before I am 5’9 175 lbs was 130 lbs.Now that I gained some decent size I want to cut the fat I gained. I was planning on doing a full body w/o but, I work out in the early morning so I thought it would be better to do an UPPER/LOWER body split so that I would be able to do squats and deadlifts in the afternoon. My plan is:

Mon: 5x5

  1. flat bench
  2. decline bench
  3. seated row
  4. lat pulldown
  5. db hammer curls
  6. tricep rope pulldowns
  7. 30 min cardio

tues: 5x5

  1. powerclean
  2. squat
  3. lunge
  4. seated calf raises 5x15
  5. ab work
  6. 30 min cardio

wed:
a.m. 45 min med intensity cardio
p.m. 15 min HIT

thurs: 4x10

  1. incline bench
  2. dips
  3. seated row
  4. lat pulldown
  5. military press
  6. e-z bar curl
  7. 30 min cardio

fri: 4x10

  1. deadlift
  2. split squat
  3. leg press
  4. donkey calf raises 4x25
  5. ab work
  6. 30 min cardio

I will be following t-dawg 2.0 might adjust the carbs I feel like I need them.

So how does it look any advise or critiques?

thanks in advance

That’s really close to my workout. I do lower reps on mon and tues and higher at the end of the week with an UP/LOW split. I also do a similar cardio routine. I’m a FFB so cardio is crucial for me. I follow the Anabolic Diet. I like it.

really? I did my first w/o today it was a good one, pretty tough though.

[quote]DION88 wrote:
So like I said before I am 5’9 175 lbs was 130 lbs.Now that I gained some decent size I want to cut the fat I gained. I was planning on doing a full body w/o but, I work out in the early morning so I thought it would be better to do an UPPER/LOWER body split so that I would be able to do squats and deadlifts in the afternoon. My plan is:

Mon: 5x5

  1. flat bench
  2. decline bench
  3. seated row
  4. lat pulldown
  5. db hammer curls
  6. tricep rope pulldowns
  7. 30 min cardio

tues: 5x5

  1. powerclean
  2. squat
  3. lunge
  4. seated calf raises 5x15
  5. ab work
  6. 30 min cardio

wed:
a.m. 45 min med intensity cardio
p.m. 15 min HIT

thurs: 4x10

  1. incline bench
  2. dips
  3. seated row
  4. lat pulldown
  5. military press
  6. e-z bar curl
  7. 30 min cardio

fri: 4x10

  1. deadlift
  2. split squat
  3. leg press
  4. donkey calf raises 4x25
  5. ab work
  6. 30 min cardio

I will be following t-dawg 2.0 might adjust the carbs I feel like I need them.

So how does it look any advise or critiques?

thanks in advance[/quote]

I don’t like the volume. I have to put my son to bed. I’ll come back in a half-hour and explain more. But to start, I don’t like sets of 10 for deads. Why do your rows always come after your chest?

I’d be real interested in your diet. You will need a LOT of food to work this program and lose any fat. I also don’t understand the desire to lose weight to lose fat here. Why not work on body composition instead. I mean 180 is reasonable. Why not try to develop it instead of lose it?

Gotta go.

bumpo…

Are you good at the Olympic lifts? If yes, I think Meltdown training II was a friggin’ awesome program. It leaned me out and put some size on me.

I agree with Sasquatch regarding the volume.

You don’t have to do all your exercises on a single day with the same Set X Rep Scheme.

Big compond lifts like deads and squats I do with a progressive load

1x7, 1x5, 1x3, 1x1

Some lifts like lat pull downs may require a higher rep scheme to fatigue the muscle.

Play around with your program.

Also as to the cardio, if it was me I would save myself 45mins and just do HIIT in the morning. If you do to much cardio you may actually start shedding muscle mass. IMO.

also I just noticed you have 30min of cardio each session, your going to burn up all your gains.

thanks everyone.

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
also I just noticed you have 30min of cardio each session, your going to burn up all your gains.[/quote]

Exactly. This was also part of my ‘to much volume’ assessment. With all that activity, you will end up losing muscle, not fat, unless you were pouring in 3000+ cals.

Again, if you were to come to me for advice, I would wonder why you want to lose any weight. I would just clean up the diet and continue with a solid program. That weight is acceptable if your body fat is where you want it.

And to reiterate, I don’t like high volume on deads. The exercise just doesn’t translate that way–for me. Same with cleans. I like to do them heavy, lower rep.

I agree with j that you should modify your program and adjust your rep set up.

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
also I just noticed you have 30min of cardio each session, your going to burn up all your gains.[/quote]

I don’t think that is necessarily true for everyone. I do 30 minutes of elliptical after lifting and it helps me a lot. I dropped some of my cardio for fear of muscle loss and came to find out it didn’t really apply to me. I still make gains and keep my BF down with that much cardio.

I might put up a little more weight lowering the cardio I do in a week, but I do most definately start to add a little more fat. I don’t know if this applies to the poster, but as a FFB I can say it applys to me. And besides, he is cutting, so gains might not even be a possibility.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
—And to reiterate, I don’t like high volume on deads. The exercise just doesn’t translate that way–[/quote]

It’s tough to say exactly why, but I know what you’re saying here. That movement was just born to be done high and low. I have a tough time keeping my form over like 6 reps for some reason, even with a lighter load.

[quote]msundi83 wrote:
jbodzin wrote:
also I just noticed you have 30min of cardio each session, your going to burn up all your gains.

I don’t think that is necessarily true for everyone. I do 30 minutes of elliptical after lifting and it helps me a lot. I dropped some of my cardio for fear of muscle loss and came to find out it didn’t really apply to me. I still make gains and keep my BF down with that much cardio.

I might put up a little more weight lowering the cardio I do in a week, but I do most definately start to add a little more fat. I don’t know if this applies to the poster, but as a FFB I can say it applys to me. And besides, he is cutting, so gains might not even be a possibility.[/quote]

I see your point,however IMO I think doing all that cardio plus HIIT, is going to be too much.

Of course it also depends on the intensity of the cardio is is doing. Are we talking 30 mins of bisk walking or quick jogging?

[quote]msundi83 wrote:
jbodzin wrote:
also I just noticed you have 30min of cardio each session, your going to burn up all your gains.

I don’t think that is necessarily true for everyone. I do 30 minutes of elliptical after lifting and it helps me a lot. I dropped some of my cardio for fear of muscle loss and came to find out it didn’t really apply to me. I still make gains and keep my BF down with that much cardio.

I might put up a little more weight lowering the cardio I do in a week, but I do most definately start to add a little more fat. I don’t know if this applies to the poster, but as a FFB I can say it applys to me. And besides, he is cutting, so gains might not even be a possibility.[/quote]

to me then this is a diet issue. You have to account for that activity with your calories of course.

My biggest question of this whole post again would be why make fat loss at 179 your main goal. I would worry more about percentage or ratio and increase my lifting, do moderate cardio, and eat cleaner. I don’t advise ‘cutting’ here.

well now that I gained some mass I would like to get to a lower body fat % and then slowly gain more muscle without gaining fat.

I know this is not usually advised but I don’t want to bulk and start gaining to much fat.

any recommendations on how my w/o should look?

[quote]DION88 wrote:
well now that I gained some mass I would like to get to a lower body fat % and then slowly gain more muscle without gaining fat.

I know this is not usually advised but I don’t want to bulk and start gaining to much fat.

any recommendations on how my w/o should look?[/quote]

What you’re talking about doing is like walking a metabolic tightrope. Assuming you did everything right and did actually gain at all without putting on any fat, or even very very little fat, your gains would slow to a crawl. Not to mention potential energy issues. You can obviously do what you want, but I like Sasquatch’s advice here. You can make good gains without getting actually fat and the more mass you gain the easier it will to be cut without losing almost any of that hard earned muscle… By that time you would have more experience and be better tuned to how your body responds to dietary and training changes as well.