T Nation

Cutting: Personal Help

Hello Everyone,
I’ve been a member of these forums for a while but rarely post here. I have a few questions and any help would be greatly appreciated.
(Story if you have time to see some background if not skip down to the **)

Summer 07- I weighed 235 at 5’6" in december, and by the summer cut myself all the way down to a gross 155. In which case my boxing trainer said i was like a skeleton with muscles on me under like 7%BF. I was so happy with myself and loved it, and so did the girls.

Then that fall came freshman year at college… I Now currently weigh about 210… again. I recently joined a gym and go daily pretty much.

**My workouts usually consist of me running on the elliptical for like 350-450 calories, on the treadmill for like 100 calories, and the bike for like 50, all with high resistances. I am very carb sensitive so whenever i eat some pasta or something it just sticks to me its gross.

I am wondering if anyone would be able to help me with a cutting weightlifting routine. I’m kind of bad with weights like knowing what to do and not do. The only supplements i can really afford is a multivitamin, and i have vitamin B6,12 and Vitamin C too. I have Whey Protein powder i usually mix with water while working out if i do some weight lifting and stuff.

I have dining hall food pretty much which is shitty food, but there is also no limit on the amount of a certain food i can have.

If anyone can tell me a rough estimate of what to eat and not eat, or the training it would be very helpful. Also i can go grocery shopping and cook for myself on occasion, usually dinners are homemade.

Thank you in advance

-Jdawg

I’m sure many others here have great advice, but what has worked well for me is primarily Thib’s stuff.

“Refined Physique Transformation” by Christian Thibaudeau is very useful.
http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/refined_physique_transformation&cr=

“Destroying Fat” is as well, particularly for a twice/week lifting routine: http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1499282

I found twice a week, one day chest/back (Bench press,Rows, DB flies, Straight-arm pull-downs) and one day legs (Squat, Romanian deadlift, Leg Ext. and Leg Curls) done heavy and as otherwise described in “Destroying Fat” to be effective at preserving mass/strength through serious cutting.

Lactate-inducing lifting (same article) is also fun.

Regarding what to eat: http://www.T-Nation.com/article/diet_and_nutrition/nutrition_for_newbies&cr=

Basically just eat often and eat lean protein with veggies/fruit, and throw in some fat every day. I do well with about 1-2 pounds of meat, some whey protein, and about 2-4 pounds of fruit and veggies per day (and nothing else). Stir frying the veg, a bit of olive oil on salads and eating fatty fish can add some oil which you need.

I only supplement with a multivitamin, creatine and fish oil, which are all fairly cheap but if you don’t have them no problem.

Read the beginner stickies, especially Vroom’s thread ‘Are You A Beginner II’. It should be the second or third thread down in the beginner forum.

It should address a number of your concerns