Cutting Out Dairy

I’m already in decent shape, most of my meals are paleo…I want to lose the extra 10 pounds because I don’t feel comfortable over 205 pounds…this is strictly a performance issue for me to see if I can lose a few pounds and how my body performs without the dairy.

[quote]crossfit_infidel wrote:
I’m already in decent shape, most of my meals are paleo…I want to lose the extra 10 pounds because I don’t feel comfortable over 205 pounds…this is strictly a performance issue for me to see if I can lose a few pounds and how my body performs without the dairy.[/quote]

Like they said, best thing to do is try it.
I cut out all milk and most other dairy for a year, and it made no difference physically, I still got stronger and maintained my weight. Then again I can drink milk all day if I wanted to, and eat grains without any ill effects.

I’m still wondering about supplements. Would you stop using whey/casein/other dairy based proteins?

[quote]Mad HORSE wrote:
I’m still wondering about supplements. Would you stop using whey/casein/other dairy based proteins?[/quote]

I would say yes. Cutting out dairy means every aspect of it. People will be quick to point out that the lactose is allergenic (even though people have intolerances to it, not allergies).

Dairy based protein is highly allergenic.

[quote]forbes wrote:
Dairy based protein is highly allergenic[/quote] What does that mean in terms of BB and physique?

Allergenic foods cause more water retention? Raise cortisol?
Cause gut inflammations?
Inhibit the absorption of Zn/Mg?
All of the above?
None of the above?

(Honest questions. No irony intended…)

I assume (which certainly lines up with most bro-science I’ve heard 'round the gym), that it will cause water retention more than anything else, hence the whole ‘looking puffy’ or ‘retaining water’ excuse from keeping dairy in your diet. Obviously unless you have an actual allergy, I think it’s usually such a minor occurrence that it’s become more of a catch-all excuse.

Someone mentioned the actual lactose, which seems to be the real culprit behind dairy allergies, but most products I see on the shelves these days are lactose-free in order to ensure a wider audience. That being the case, I’m fairly certain whey/milk based proteins shouldn’t be a concern.

S

almond milk!

[quote]Mad HORSE wrote:
I’m still wondering about supplements. Would you stop using whey/casein/other dairy based proteins?[/quote]

man you got me…I didn’t even think about supplements…I use progenex and its ot hydrolzed whey protein…

I suppose it depends on what specifically you’re trying to eliminate.
If you’re trying to cut the lactose out of your diet, hydrolyzed whey protein has next to no lactose in it to my knowledge. However, lactose intolerance is not an allergy, it’s just a lack of sufficient amounts on lactase needed to digest lactose. Allergies only involve protein.
So if you’re trying to eliminate an allergic response, then the dairy proteins would have to go as well.

[quote]Sharp4850 wrote:
If you’re trying to cut the lactose out of your diet, hydrolyzed whey protein has next to no lactose in it to my knowledge. However, lactose intolerance is not an allergy, it’s just a lack of sufficient amounts on lactase needed to digest lactose. Allergies only involve protein.
So if you’re trying to eliminate an allergic response, then the dairy proteins would have to go as well. [/quote]

So, by this reasoning, does that mean no one would ever have any of the aforementioned problems with milk if they take stuff like Lactaid?

For instance: A perfectly healthy dude that doesn’t have an issue with lactose intolerance could take Lactaid and have even less bloating/gas/whatever else was mentioned?

If that were the case, then there’d be no reason to cut out dairy, right?

I actually buy Lactaid milk, not because of any issues with lactose, but in case no one else realizes, the shelf life is much longer than regular milk (lasts about 2-3 months in the fridge), and I only really use it in my coffee.

S

[quote]Mad HORSE wrote:

[quote]Sharp4850 wrote:
So if you’re trying to eliminate an allergic response, then the dairy proteins would have to go as well. [/quote]

So, by this reasoning, does that mean no one would ever have any of the aforementioned problems with milk if they take stuff like Lactaid?

For instance: A perfectly healthy dude that doesn’t have an issue with lactose intolerance could take Lactaid and have even less bloating/gas/whatever else was mentioned?

If that were the case, then there’d be no reason to cut out dairy, right?[/quote]
If a person actually has an allergy to milk proteins, then no, Lactaid wouldn’t help them. If they have no allergy to milk proteins and no problems with lactose, then they shouldn’t have any reason to get bloated from dairy.

I’m allergic to cows milk protein, it causes inflammation in my knees pretty bad and a little in my hands (I guess due to the immune response) and makes me feel run down like I having a cold without any of the other symptoms . So I use goats milk and goats milk cheese, but I’ve had rice, oats, coconut and even once or twice soya milks .

I have recently found goats milk whey powder, which is nice a bland. So there are options out there, but they generally cost a bit more. So if you can tolerate it I wouldn’t bother trying to remove it from your diet just cut down because milk is in a lot more than you know, there are loads of food I can take anymore.

almond milk!

I’ve been 18-21% body fat basically since puberty. In January, I cut out grains and milk from my diet around the same time and dropped to ~10% in a matter of 6 months. I tried reintroducing them recently while mass gaining again and it was only met with bloating and some serious gut irritation that would last 2-3 days sometimes just from a cup of oats in my smoothie or something. Needless to say, I find no reason for them anymore, personally. Doesn’t affect my performance or energy levels…not to mention I never liked how I looked as a fatty.

I think a reason cutting milk helped was simple…it reduced my daily caloric intake. It’s not a particularly low-calorie, or low-sugar drink, so I don’t see any reason to keep it around while trying to shed fat.

Cals in v. cals out will work if your goal is WEIGHT loss, but if your goal is fat loss you have just cause to worry about fine tuning the type of cals you are taking in to see what finally works for you. Think about it…if you eat twinkies and pizza every day but are still burning more than you take in how much is your body comp going to improve?

arnold says milk is for babys…so no

OP, just curious what your rationale was for picking dairy specifically to eliminate. I haven’t read anywhere where you mention any digestive/allergenic issues, just the desire to cut weight. Assuming all calories/macros stay the same is there a reason you think cutting out milk will cause you to drop weight?

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
I’ve been 18-21% body fat basically since puberty. In January, I cut out grains and milk from my diet around the same time and dropped to ~10% in a matter of 6 months. I tried reintroducing them recently while mass gaining again and it was only met with bloating and some serious gut irritation that would last 2-3 days sometimes just from a cup of oats in my smoothie or something. Needless to say, I find no reason for them anymore, personally. Doesn’t affect my performance or energy levels…not to mention I never liked how I looked as a fatty.

I think a reason cutting milk helped was simple…it reduced my daily caloric intake. It’s not a particularly low-calorie, or low-sugar drink, so I don’t see any reason to keep it around while trying to shed fat.

Cals in v. cals out will work if your goal is WEIGHT loss, but if your goal is fat loss you have just cause to worry about fine tuning the type of cals you are taking in to see what finally works for you. Think about it…if you eat twinkies and pizza every day but are still burning more than you take in how much is your body comp going to improve? [/quote]

The problem with cutting both dairy and grain at the same time is now you can’t really identify which one (or if it was really both) that led to the weight change.

I would suspect it has more to do with grains than dairy. Although, did you only cut milk out, or all dairy?