T Nation

Cutting Out Dairy

Long time reader just became a member. Has anyone got good results with cutting dairy out? I love my milk and cheese but would like to shed about 10 to 15 pounds and this seems logical to me but was wondering what some experienced people thought.

Calories in v. calories out

If you have a shitty diet, minus dairy, it's still a shitty diet.

Thanks for the words....I understand the calories in and out concept, I was more interested in hearing about the results if any from cutting dairy out.

Keep in mind that other people's results are just that: other people's

If you're interested in seeing how it works for you and your body, go for it

personally amazing, i feel notably better, I do consume un pasteurized cheese every so often but i've found to feel like crap when i get near processed /uht crap

THANKS....I didn't think to compare un pasteurized to pasteurized cheese...I'm gonna do it for 2 weeks and see what happens.

I've thought about this myself. How would cutting dairy affect protein shakes? Would you get beef or soy or something instead of whey and casein? Just make your shakes with water?

its been a while since I mixed a shake with anything other than water....strictly a budget thing

I eat only raw cheese and raw butter. I would drink raw milk if I had access to it. I think unprocessed dairy is one of the healthiest things you can eat, and it can also get you fucking hyooge (in a good way). But that's just me, experiment with drinking processed milk, cheese, etc. I get a stomach ache every now and then from eating certain kinds of cheeses, but I can drink milk all day without any effects, other than the fact that I get fatter.

Thanks for input I agree with all of the above...this is the first time I have ever thought about cutting dairy so we will see how it goes

The only time I've personally ever noticed anything related to my dairy intake is the last week before a contest, when my skin is seriously paper-thin, and I just didn't want to risk that puffy look some people associate with dairy intake.

While I can't say for certain that dropping the small amount of dairy products I ate that week was what made the final difference in my physique, I will say that unless you have some sort of allergy to milk based products, I have a difficult time understanding how one particular category of foods can have profound (we're talking about seriously noticeable here) visual effects on someone's body.

Also,.. the notion of 'calories in / calories out' is oversimplification and doesn't apply to physique competitors (think more of macros and nutrient timing!), I think most people realize that by now. Any 'healthy' (no allergies etc) person can benefit from dairy simply due to the excellent macro profiles. Look at how many old school BBers constructed their daily diets around milk and eggs.

S

As someone training for a comp, yes, I know that.
All the OP said is that he wants to lose 10-15 pounds. I'm assuming he just wants to get lean, not contest lean.

For me, I don't understand how taking out dairy alone will help you lose weight. To me, it's the same concept as low carb or low fat diet; when you omit foods from your diet, you can end up consuming less calories.

What I was getting at is if he ends up eating more calories than he burns in a day, just without dairy of any kind, is he still going to lose weight?

i cut out all dairy except activia yogurt . i drink half a liter a day . i do this for the calcium and the LGG bacteria

If he's trying to lose 10-15 lbs, worrying about dairy instead of just following a decent cutting diet/program is just a waste of time. A good piece of advice I once read was that any diet that instructs you to eliminate any group of foods (basically overgeneralizing I guess), usually isn't the best choice.

Now I imagine the rationale for that statement was probably in regards to specific macros, and refers to not eliminating either all carbs, or all fats, BUT in the big picture, this shouldn't even be an issue for the majority of people trying to lose weight. Just like salt,... I only worry about salt right before a contest (and this is purely for appearance reasons), other than that, unless you have hypertension/high blood pressure, salt is necessary to some degree and shouldn't be cut out of your diet.

What the OP needs to do is think about what is going to happen to the foods he does eat, and when he chooses to eat them. A diet higher in protein sources will results in less of a net effect of 'calories in' due to the thermongenic nature of protein digestion in the body. Carbs ingested in the time surrounding a stressful workout will have a much different net effect than carbs ingested right before taking a nap. There are much bigger concerns here than 'should I avoid dairy' -lol.

S

THIS

I also hate the salt thing. I have clients who just want to lose weight ask me if they should cut out salt. I ask "Are you stepping on stage this weekend? Oh."

I cut out dairy completely. Not as a way to lose extra weight or cut, but simply because of the effects it had on everything from my skin to my GI tract.

Everyone's different. Try it out for a couple weeks and see how your body reacts.

I see no reason to ever keep milk on a cut, sugars.

But cheese is fine.

x2

I still use cream in my coffee when cutting though, due to only minute amounts of sugar (or you can actually find sugar free flavored creamers, which aren't half bad -lol)

S

I say just avoid lactose, i.e. dairy with sugar in it.

I avoid milk, and some types of cheese. I can't think of a good reason to cut out something like cottage cheese or Greek/Russian yogurt, or blue cheese.

The in between area, you could leave or take.

No need to cut out all dairy if you just want to lose weight. However, if you think you are sensitive to dairy, cut out all dairy products from your diet for 6 weeks. Some people get hives, eczema, chronic congestion, bloating, cramping and diarrhea from dairy. But dry skin, brain fog, fatigue, yeast or fungal infections, heartburn, carbohydrate cravings, and constipation may all be symptoms of dairy allergies.