Cutting or Lose Fat/Gain Muscle

Sometimes changes in your training don’t have to be so dramatic to be worthwhile. Even staying on the same basic template, but switching from 5x5 to 3x8 or vice-versa can do the trick.

So try out the new program.

Done excited as hell for ABBH. Since the days dont fall the same way each week with classes and when ill be lifting, im making a list of P+f and P+c meals at 450-500 calories, to semi keep routine, but allow adjustment (having p+c after work outs, breakfasts, etc.) I can eat them every 3 hours, and when i need to increase intake, eat them every 2 1/2 hours, fitting in another meal of 450 calories a day. Im excited. Thanks guys for preventing me from making the same mistake ive probably made in the past.

Supplement question - would HOT-ROX and CLA be beneficial during this bulking phase? I have a few of each from before, saving for a cutting cycle(in the far future now) or should i just use them now?

[quote]Faraz421 wrote:
Check out pictures taken this morning, empty stomach(tried doing the best I could).

[/quote]

Yep you look just like I thought you would, your skinny, your body fat is nothing to be concerned about (and being as preoccupied with it as you are will probably stop you getting big). (Wish I could get my love handles and gut small as yours)

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
You have no business trying to lose weight. You’re problem is simple – you have no muscle.[/quote]

[quote]Professor X wrote:
The scariest thing is that you even think you need to diet down. YOU HAVE NO MUSCLE. THAT alone is why you think you are carrying so much fat.
[/quote]

Yep that?s about the size of it.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Someone very muscular could be nearly 20% and still look good in clothes because of the muscle they carry.
[/quote]

That would be me then. To demonstrate this point heres a pic of me at 230 lb (5?9) at somewhere between 16 and 20% BF with clothes on.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/data/500/39519DropClothLook.JPG

[quote]Faraz421 wrote:
Thanks guys for preventing me from making the same mistake ive probably made in the past.
[/quote]

Hurray youve seen the light. Good luck.

You know, people new to training or who who haven’t been doing it right can put on appreciable muscle with very little fat gain by getting diet and training in line. You need to start eating. You just don’t have to eat to a level where you’re steadily putting on fat. At your development, you’ll gain muscle easily without that.

I can tell from your posts you’re missing the point. You need more muscle as everyone in this thread has pointed out. When you put on more muscle the body fat seems to take care of itself to a point. Being as thin as you are dieting down will rob you of more muscle.

Stay away from cardio or circuit type training for a while. Lift heavy and keep the rep range around 6 to 8. Work on compound/multi-joint lifts. Stay away from Pec-Decs, Dumbbell Flys, Bicep Curls and any other small muscle group and shaping exercises for at least the next 8 - 16 weeks. Eat mass quantities and supplement with high quality protein foods and supplements. Stay away from processed meats, processed carbs and saturated fats. Only consume the unprocessed and health versions and plenty of them.

Because you are so obsessed about the belly fat you probably have been starving yourself. By doing so your metabolism is in the tank and it will take some serious eating to get back on track. When you starve yourself your body’s natural instincts kick in and make you retain fat. Men tend to accumulate fat around the mid section before storing it elsewhere.

Believe me I understand where you’re coming from; it took me a long time to grasp the concept of eating more to burn fat. But by eating more good foods it actually cranks your metabolism into overdrive and you will start to add muscle and burn fat.

You might want to check out Dr. John Berardi’s Scrawny to Brawny series on this site or his www.scrawnytobrawny.com/ for ideas on eating big.

If you follow this and the other well intended advice in this thread you WILL put on muscle and burn fat. I GUARANTEE IT.

Good luck and please keep me updated on your progress. To quote Tony Little as much as I can’t stand the guy, “YOU CAN DO IT”!

AssBuster

Thanks all. And once again, please dont assume i’m a newbie. Sure my training has been off, diet too, but i surely know what to do, down to the biology and anatomical aspects that would explain the benefits of eating right on my metabolism.

My case is one that proves the old saying that although knowing/somewhat knowledgable, its always hardest to apply/advise yourself. Thats why I turned here to get some feedback, and it helped, put me in the right direction, I know how to get there, just hadnt had that focus.

Thanks.

Here are updated pics from today. After some bulking, now to keep bulking or to cut. Im speculating that the consensus will be to keep bulking, but just want to hear it/critiques.

I feel like i must have put on a little bit of muscle, though mostly fat. (Bad diet/drinking, not my excuse, my fault, and it is something that can and will be fixed).

Thanks again everyone.

Clean up your diet and make sure you are following a good weight training program. Preferably one of CW’s programs done as written.

Keep lifting and eating big, and quit pushing your stomach out. No one is gonna tell you to cut right now!!!

Faraz421,

I know that you have said several times in this tread that you are not in-fact a rookie. However, I am sure that you have made good progress, but you are not at the point where you should even THINK about cutting.

DUDE you need some BULK!!! If the look you are going for is Men’s Health/Fitnessish. THEN YOU STILL NEED SOME SIZE!

It seem that you know what a good program is when you see it (you mentioned some of CW’s that you have run through), but you implementation of them is lacking.

Pick one follow it to the letter, up your calories, reduce your ESW or cut it out altogether.

If you still fear gaining fat them try some uphill walking (20min) after lifting; it will help control fat gain without impacting muscle growth.

GOOD LUCK BRO!
K

Thanks everyone, im cleaning up my diet. Starting Oct 31 i will begin a proper bulking phase until atleast dec 1 but hopefully until Jan 1, in hopes to build a solid base to work with for the new year. I plan on going along with Massive Eating Reloaded(MER) and following The Waterbury Method. Yes, i did the Waterbury Method just a bit over a month ago, but i just love the routine, how the excercises are laid out, and every little detail about it. Think its okay to follow it again ?