T Nation

Cutting on the Protocol: TKD, CKD, or VLCKD (Standard KD),

Coach Thibaudeau,

Based on your experience/in your opinion, is there a correlation between BF% and carb strategy while on the protocol if cutting is the goal? If my current BF is at 24%, what is the best carb strategy if I’m training intensely to lose fat?

Of the following would you recommend one over the other:
TKD = Not a true Keto Diet 25-50 grams carbs pre workout
CKD = <30 grams daily with ~weekly carb ups
VLCKD (Very low carb keto diet, or standard KD): <30 per day

I got some feedback from Bill Roberts on this but he said you would have the best answer as to go from 24% bf to contest condition in 12 weeks, so I’m posting this here.

Right now, I’m sticking to the standard KD at this point which does not allow for the FINiBARs. My current plan is to use the protocol minus the FINiBARs until I get closer to 16%, then begin some sort of TKD, but perhaps I can do a TKD at this point with one FINiBAR, and then switch to two FINiBARs when i get to ~16% or so.

What’s your take on this? Typically most proponents of carb cycling recommend and stick to KD for people above 18-20% range, and carb cycle once they get below this (more high carb days in the cycle as BF% gets closer to 10%).

If working out 3X a day similar to how YOU described in “what I’m doing now” thread http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_thibaudeau/what_i_am_doing_now_repost_for_another_thread?id=3433589&pageNo=0 do you think the level of training can be sustained on a KD like I’m on now, assuming the rest of the protocol is intact (Alpha GPC + 2 scoops of Anaconda and 2 scoops of MAG-10 for the first session (half before, half during) and Aplha GPC + 2 scoops of Anaconda with 1 scoop of MAG-10 for the other sessions.)?

Also (last question I promise), would you change your suggestions at all if trying to lose fat as humanly possible (aside from taking clen, metformin, T3, or the like). just as an FYI I’m trying to lose fat as fast as possible right now for a 12 week contest, so some muscle loss is acceptable as long as I come in at a really low BF% at the end of the 12 weeks (april 6th) – Currently at 24%BF, and trying to get to 6-8%. I would really appreciate your thoughts.

(FYI my goal weight works out to a plan to lose 3.3 pounds of fat per week)

Thanks for your thoughts.