T Nation

Cutting Inseason. How to Keep Muscle?

im doing a cut inseason, and i wanted to know if you guys have any tips on how to not lose shitloads of musclemass and more importantly not lose streagth during the cut,

i cant use creatine eather, which makes this so much harder.

Protein and BCAA’s help.

Why can’t you use creatine?

I’ve read that you should at least keep the weights heavy while cutting, to minimize muscle loss. I’ll definitely be doing that next time I try to drop some fat.

creatine causes cramps, its a pain in the ass,

[quote]Footballer90 wrote:
im doing a cut inseason [/quote]

during football season? if so, i would definitely not recommend cutting if you are concerned about your performance.

A cut will require a caloric deficit, which will of course in return reduce your athletic performance.

Body recomposition is possible whilst still operating at a slight caloric surplus. If you eat clean, go slightly above maintence, take your bcaa’s and fish oils you will be able to build muscle mass and burn fat at the same time. I’m not claiming your going to be able to drop 20 pounds of bf, and gain 20 of muscle. This recomposition requires an indepth study of what you are consuming, because the key to not losing strength/size is to not drift into a caloric deficit.

Someone once said “Ya, you can whack it and ride a bike at the same time but you wont do either very well” or something along those lines. haha this is a similar concept. The fat loss wont be occurring very rapidly but it can be done.

[quote]MeinHerzBrennt wrote:
I’ve read that you should at least keep the weights heavy while cutting, to minimize muscle loss.[/quote]

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is more volume at lighter weights or more weight at lower volumes the way to go for preserving muscle mass? Any general opinions?

[quote]daneq wrote:
Footballer90 wrote:
im doing a cut inseason

during football season? if so, i would definitely not recommend cutting if you are concerned about your performance.

[/quote]

im not talking like velocity diet or sumthin,
just maybe - 100 caloric intake,
ontop of shitloads of cardio at practice, which should have me losing weight, as im currtently about 1000 calories over where i should be

[quote]BackForMore wrote:
MeinHerzBrennt wrote:
I’ve read that you should at least keep the weights heavy while cutting, to minimize muscle loss.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is more volume at lighter weights or more weight at lower volumes the way to go for preserving muscle mass? Any general opinions?[/quote]

just a thought
adding volume while decreasing caloric intake wouldnt be a good idea. added volume adds more damage. that damaged muscle aint gon repair all of it if it aint got no mo energy.
i figure you use high weight and low schemes to keep the muscle alive and stimulate it. give it a reason to stay.

i was browsing around here.
and i stumbeld on an idea, i dont know what its called
but i can only work out 2 times a week inseason.
so if i were to eat big on workoutdays, and go back on my diet for cardio days (practice days)
would that work well?

I have heard that called the “zig zag” method. You give your body a caloric surplus on and surrounding days where you need it(workout days) then on off days you operate on a caloric deficit.

[quote]BackForMore wrote:
MeinHerzBrennt wrote:
I’ve read that you should at least keep the weights heavy while cutting, to minimize muscle loss.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is more volume at lighter weights or more weight at lower volumes the way to go for preserving muscle mass? Any general opinions?[/quote]

Wouldn’t work in-season very well though. In that case, I’d suggest heavy weights with low volume because of the heavy practice/comp/cardio schedules and the inability to really train a whole lot during the week while staying fresh for games.

[quote]plutusplutus wrote:
I have heard that called the “zig zag” method. You give your body a caloric surplus on and surrounding days where you need it(workout days) then on off days you operate on a caloric deficit. [/quote]

Also known as calorie cycling. A variant is carb cycling which is distinct from calorie cycling but often used along side it. Not sure how that would work in season though–my suggestion is to keep carbs reasonably plentiful. Actually, my suggestion is to not cut in-season unless your performance is really really suffering. Hard to control, and people often end up losing some muscle mass over the course of the season w/o cutting (just from the stress of the heavy schedule and games and school and life, etc.)

well the thing is right now im like 235,
and theres a good 10 pounds of fat there if not more, that if i lost id be alot faster,

and i meen not to mention look better lol

you should be doing sprints and a vertical jump program to get faster, not just losing fat- the fat loss will come with it

Changes in body composition should take place in the off season. But if you insist, clean up your food drastically. Most football players eat like shit, unless they are pros or collegiate. And even they still eat like shit. Ditch the junk food and go for cleaner carbs (yams, sweet potatoes, oats) and go with Surge for post workout or after practice/game drink. Nothing complicated here, just get QUALITY calories in since you are getting plenty of exercise.

[quote]plutusplutus wrote:
I have heard that called the “zig zag” method. You give your body a caloric surplus on and surrounding days where you need it(workout days) then on off days you operate on a caloric deficit. [/quote]

I did that for 4 years in college, worked out well for me.