Cutting Fat/Getting Lean/Building Muscle

I’m 5’ 8", 178lbs.

I want to cut down to the range of 145-160 pound range. I use to weigh 247lbs about 2 years ago and was able to lose the weight. Also joined the military in doing so.

I’ve been going to the gym faithfully for about 2 months(5-6 days a week). I’m starting to get a routine going and feeling more comfortable about working out.

I usually do cardio for 40 mins, then the next 30-40 minutes I do whatever muscle group I have planned.

It would be nice to cut back on the weight, however, losing inches seems to be better considering I like being in the 180 range.

Am I better off to lose more weight to get my BF down? Then build back up in mass?

I currently use whey protein about twice a day(1 scoop per serving). Eat chicken, vegetables, other greens, eggs etc.

I lost 2 more inches off my waist since the middle of September and about 6 pounds. To me not seeing the weight go down on the scale is discouraging, but I guess inches do make up for it.

Anyone had this same problem in the past or known someone that has and accomplished losing the body fat on a decent diet/eating routine? Is it possible to get lean at the same time as losing fat? Any advice helps…

In my opinion your post lack clarity.
You finish with : “Is it possible to get lean at the same time as losing fat?”
It is the same thing.
Did you mean get stronger and leaner?
You can go from 175 to about 175 while loosing inches at your waistline.
Sometimes the muscles gains are about equal to the fat loss.

So you might want to monitor the loads you can lift, your waistline and your weight. Anyone might be misguiding but together plus your general look will show any real progress. No need to be obsessed ounce weekly is plenty. You will know if calories intake should be trimmed a bit. Just daily, weekly, monthly good habits will give you benefits.

Your genetics will choose what happens first it is not that important if you are honest doing the right thing is not that difficult. The difficulty is cutting away from bad habits you will need to get to know yourself to do that part. What might have worked for someone might not work for you. Personalities are different, etc,
All the best !

[quote]BHappy wrote:
In my opinion your post lack clarity.
You finish with : “Is it possible to get lean at the same time as losing fat?”
It is the same thing.
Did you mean get stronger and leaner?
You can go from 175 to about 175 while loosing inches at your waistline.
Sometimes the muscles gains are about equal to the fat loss.

So you might want to monitor the loads you can lift, your waistline and your weight. Anyone might be misguiding but together plus your general look will show any real progress. No need to be obsessed ounce weekly is plenty. You will know if calories intake should be trimmed a bit. Just daily, weekly, monthly good habits will give you benefits.

Your genetics will choose what happens first it is not that important if you are honest doing the right thing is not that difficult. The difficulty is cutting away from bad habits you will need to get to know yourself to do that part. What might have worked for someone might not work for you. Personalities are different, etc,
All the best ![/quote]

Yes I did mean get stronger and leaner** sorry.