T Nation

Cutting Diet Review?

Alright guys, I figure its about time i cut down to look better and be healthier. I currently stand at 6’2", 238.5 pounds, and 19-20% bodyfat. The current diet routine i plan to start is a combination of the 3/4 meal a day idea given in these

My training will be a 4 day split, with HIIT and core circuits done on alternating nights, e.g. monday-core, tuesday-hiit, wednesday-core, etc

For the last 1.5 years, my goal was strictly to put on size, and find what worked for me. Yet now, i realize that i want to be lean as well as big. Looking for the advice of vets that know what theyre talking about

Honestly, you just have to give it a go and evaluate the results weekly or biweekly. Any diet plan that isnt completely stupid will produce fat loss. If you are looking to get stupid shredded its a BIT different, but just losing some fat is a no-brainer for anyone with any amount of dedication.

Thats what i was thinking, im just not certain about my carbs being only 10-15% of my daily cal, like holy sh*t thats low. Also, my training will involve active rest as opposed to sitting on the bench sweating. Cant hurt eh?

that’s a lot of HIIT. I would recommend starting off without it…and see how things go. Assess how well the diet works for you…then if you feel you have to add in a bit of cardio–do it. The thing is, HIIT doesn’t really work well in conjunction with low carbs. That shit burns through glycogen stores like a mo fo. If you feel like you have to do something, just do some fasted walking in the morning every other day.

In summary: if you go from 0 to 60 all at once, you could burn yourself out (and no I’m not part of this “overtraining” bullshit brigade…I mean mentally). Ease into a low carb diet, adding intensity week by week. Better to start off doing too little than too much.

^important point about HIT relying on glycogen stores!

Even when I have some of my prep clients drop their daily carb intake, we still keep SOME carbs, specifically so that they don’t unnecessarily lose muscle in the process. Also, although I didn’t have a chance to look over the exact details of your plan, don’t go too crazy with the intervals. They are very stressful, and losing a ton of ‘weight’ at the expense of muscle tissue won’t make you too happy when you’re done.

S

thanks guys, i probably would have went ahead with the hiit and kept doing it until i was burnt right out. ill take it easy on the hiit for a bit