Cutting Diet For You?

All,

Just curious to know which has been the best dietary approach you have found. Details such as how much fat, carbs and proteins you were intaking, where your carbs came from (fats and proteins I assume came from good fats and fish/meat or shakes), cycling, etc.

I am currently not dieting, but when I eventually decide to cut down I’d like to lose the least muscle whilst maximising the amount of fat I lose. So far I have read a lot about nutrition but there is no clear cut approach or real life feedback supplied with real life values etc.

At the moment I am torn between two approaches:

1. Extremely low carbs for 2 days and then refeed on the third day and repeat. Example, 2000 calories for 2 days on close to zero carbs and then add 800 calories on the third day from carbs (such as brown rice and oats). 1g per lb of protein and the remainder is good fats.

2. Low carbs (I’d say about 100 - 150g depending on how drowsy I get) coming from oats in the morning but mainly from low GI fruits and non-starchy vegetables. Then the usual 1g per lb of protein and the remainder is good fats.

Anyone have any feedback on these two approaches? Maybe something alternative to these two which worked well for you?

Ale

[quote]algian wrote:
All,

Just curious to know which has been the best dietary approach you have found. Details such as how much fat, carbs and proteins you were intaking, where your carbs came from (fats and proteins I assume came from good fats and fish/meat or shakes), cycling, etc.

I am currently not dieting, but when I eventually decide to cut down I’d like to lose the least muscle whilst maximising the amount of fat I lose. So far I have read a lot about nutrition but there is no clear cut approach or real life feedback supplied with real life values etc.

At the moment I am torn between two approaches:

1. Extremely low carbs for 2 days and then refeed on the third day and repeat. Example, 2000 calories for 2 days on close to zero carbs and then add 800 calories on the third day from carbs (such as brown rice and oats). 1g per lb of protein and the remainder is good fats.

2. Low carbs (I’d say about 100 - 150g depending on how drowsy I get) coming from oats in the morning but mainly from low GI fruits and non-starchy vegetables. Then the usual 1g per lb of protein and the remainder is good fats.

Anyone have any feedback on these two approaches? Maybe something alternative to these two which worked well for you?

Ale[/quote]

Ale,

I’m horribly biased but the Anabolic Diet is by far the best approach around. It’s a little challenging to begin with but on the whole . . . awesome.

T-Dawg 2.0 is supposed to be pretty good and Berardi’s Precision Nutrition, which is similar to your number 2 option I believe, has been highly rated as well.

It’s hard to just list what macros to recommend when there are so many factors to consider when constructing a diet that will work.

Hope that helps.

Sasha

TReid and didnt like the refeed type of thing.

Love the T-Dawg aproach kind of like #2 on yours.

That and an anabolic diet approach near no carbs crap load of meats, fats etc. I did it with no carb up for several years eating all I wanted its what got me from 300-215 in 4 months. No calorie restriction.

[quote]Phill wrote:
TReid and didnt like the refeed type of thing.

Love the T-Dawg aproach kind of like #2 on yours.

That and an anabolic diet approach near no carbs crap load of meats, fats etc. I did it with no carb up for several years eating all I wanted its what got me from 300-215 in 4 months. No calorie restriction.

[/quote]
Phill,
Did you include any cardio during that or did you just lift?

Cardio whats that. LOL

Well not dedicated cardio no I was active and worked construction. Then lifted 3-4 times a week. was full body at the time and not the best. It would have been better if I was doing it now im sure.

Thanks for the replies.