T Nation

Cutting Calories?

I’m just coming off a 6 month, relatively clean bulk, and have been maintaining for the last couple of weeks.

I’d like to cut for the next 8 weeks, and want peoples opinions on the best formula for determining caloric intake during my cut. Also recommendations on percentages for carbs, protein and fats.

I’ll have my BF checked at the end of this week. If I had to guess I would say it is above 15 and below 20%. My weight has been pretty steady at 240-242 for a couple of weeks now.

I’m just looking for advice from people that have been in the same boat as me, regarding which formulas and how much of a caloric deficit have worked.

#1 I wouldnt rush it you need to get your body used to the new weight and two weeks is a drop in the bucket. Keep eating to maintian for a month or two atleast keep the same weight and likely lean out a bit. then simply just take a BIT off your current intake. it wont be rocket science just cut 250 k/cals a day.

No need to go to drastic measure until you are ryinmg to get Uber lean just starting a cut do as little as needed to lose weight slow and steady.

Phill

I will add once you do start the cut T-Dawg 2 is a solid and easy to follow diet that does great at preserving muscle, timing of your carbs etc. Just adjust the intake for you.

Phill

Thanks for the response Phill. Just a couple of notes. First, I’m not real comfortable at my BF now, I would like to lean out a bit, nothing drastic.

Second, I have been taking in roughly the same number of calories for the past 2 months, and finally just stopped gaining (not rocket science there), so I choose to end my bulk.

Do you think I should still continue to maintain my calories and weight? How detrimental would it be to cut now? I’m not looking for contest shape, I just want to lose 10lbs or so.

If it is going to be detrimental, I’m happy to maintain for a while. Thanks again.

Guess I’ll just maintain calories then. Maybe throw in a little HIIT here and there.

[quote]Modi wrote:
Thanks for the response Phill. Just a couple of notes. First, I’m not real comfortable at my BF now, I would like to lean out a bit, nothing drastic.

Second, I have been taking in roughly the same number of calories for the past 2 months, and finally just stopped gaining (not rocket science there), so I choose to end my bulk.

Do you think I should still continue to maintain my calories and weight? How detrimental would it be to cut now? I’m not looking for contest shape, I just want to lose 10lbs or so.

If it is going to be detrimental, I’m happy to maintain for a while. Thanks again.[/quote]

It would be detrimental by you risking a huge loss in any muscle mass you may have gained. If anyone were going to place a time limit on how long to maintain a new body weight, I would put it in excess of two months, no less. If your body doesn’t feel comfortable at a new weight, it will not easily maintain it. A couple of off days as far as diet would result in you dropping weight from that point.

This is a long term process. I think many people are fucking up by thinking of this in terms of gaining for a few weeks and then dieting down again. I don’t see how anyone like that can make much long term progress.

[quote]Modi wrote:
Guess I’ll just maintain calories then. Maybe throw in a little HIIT here and there.[/quote]

Stay at maintence and add in Carbolin 19 to drop some fat. I’ve been using this for six weeks and have concluded it does what is advertised.

EDIT: should say, “four weeks.”

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Modi wrote:
Guess I’ll just maintain calories then. Maybe throw in a little HIIT here and there.

Stay at maintence and add in Carbolin 19 to drop some fat. I’ve been using this for six weeks and have concluded it does what is advertised. [/quote]

Sounds good. I absolutely don’t want to lose the muscle I’ve worked so hard at gaining.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Modi wrote:
If it is going to be detrimental, I’m happy to maintain for a while. Thanks again.

It would be detrimental by you risking a huge loss in any muscle mass you may have gained. If anyone were going to place a time limit on how long to maintain a new body weight, I would put it in excess of two months, no less. If your body doesn’t feel comfortable at a new weight, it will not easily maintain it. A couple of off days as far as diet would result in you dropping weight from that point.

This is a long term process. I think many people are fucking up by thinking of this in terms of gaining for a few weeks and then dieting down again. I don’t see how anyone like that can make much long term progress.[/quote]

Thanks Prof. I actually really like the new weight. I was debating whether to cut first, but when I started at 215-220 I thought there wouldn’t be much left of me when I finished the cut, that’s why I chose to bulk. I was at the high end of my comfort zone when I started, so I tried to keep it as clean as possible.

I’ll keep my calories where they are and just be cautious with my weekends. I understand that you can’t put an exact number on things, so I will maintain for another 4-6 weeks (I’ve been at 240ish for almost 3 weeks now). And then try to shed 10-15lbs.

I will maintain that for a while, and then try another 6 month bulk. I think 245-250 relatively lean would be a good weight for me. Of course, when I get there, I’m sure I’ll “just” want to add another 10lbs or so. Vicious cycle.

[quote]Modi wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Modi wrote:
Guess I’ll just maintain calories then. Maybe throw in a little HIIT here and there.

Stay at maintence and add in Carbolin 19 to drop some fat. I’ve been using this for six weeks and have concluded it does what is advertised.

Sounds good. I absolutely don’t want to lose the muscle I’ve worked so hard at gaining.[/quote]

You won’t. I really think Carbolin 19 is Biotest’s “sleeper” supplement. I rank it as their best supplement. Slow-working… sure. But so is protein powder, lol. Yet everyone “uses” protein.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Modi wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Modi wrote:
Guess I’ll just maintain calories then. Maybe throw in a little HIIT here and there.

Stay at maintence and add in Carbolin 19 to drop some fat. I’ve been using this for six weeks and have concluded it does what is advertised.

Sounds good. I absolutely don’t want to lose the muscle I’ve worked so hard at gaining.

You won’t. I really think Carbolin 19 is Biotest’s “sleeper” supplement. I rank it as their best supplement. Slow-working… sure. But so is protein powder, lol. Yet everyone “uses” protein.[/quote]

Do you like it better than HOT-ROX? I know HRX contains Carbolin 19, but are the rest of the ingredients worth the money, or is Carbolin 19 just as good?

[quote]Modi wrote:
Do you like it better than HOT-ROX? I know HRX contains Carbolin 19, but are the rest of the ingredients worth the money, or is Carbolin 19 just as good?[/quote]

They are totally different. I hate HRX. It makes me sick to my stomach. I used it for 28 days while on the V-Diet, and occasionally will take a couple before a large meal. Other than that, I don’t touch the stuff.

I switched my wife from HRX to Carbolin 19 because of it’s lipolytic properties. Though it’s not billed at this site as a “fat burner.”

the way it’s advertised is as a way to keep your gains while losing some fat and even gaining a little muscle. thus far, i’d say that the product is not overhyped at all, and lives up to claims TP and others have made.

it’s perfect for someone like you who is eating maintenace cals but desires changes in body comp. You should lose a little fat over 12 weeks, and gain a little muscle. After 12 weeks, your body will at its new “set point” and you’ll be ready for a cutting cycle.

You got some great advice bro aim to hold that weight for well ever really and aim to lean up. if aftyer like prof said Minimum of 2 months you just MUST drop weight/fat do it smart and slow.

Yes HRX is a great supp imo and I add it in not when cutting as I havent done that in some time LOL but at times like your when I hit a BF that is reaching a bit to high. I then eat to maintain that weight and lean out a touch sLOWLY swap BF for LBM.

Phill

Great advice guys. I really like the part about not cutting calories, just trying to shift my composition a little.

I’ll look into the Carbolin 19 vs HRX a little more. I’m still a little confused why HRX wouldn’t be as effective, unless there is less of the Carbolin 19 in it.

Regardless, thanks for everyone’s input. I was hoping for some sound advice from people who have been there, and appreciate your advice.

[quote]Modi wrote:
Great advice guys. I really like the part about not cutting calories, just trying to shift my composition a little.

I’ll look into the Carbolin 19 vs HRX a little more. I’m still a little confused why HRX wouldn’t be as effective, unless there is less of the Carbolin 19 in it.

Regardless, thanks for everyone’s input. I was hoping for some sound advice from people who have been there, and appreciate your advice.[/quote]

From what I recall HRX has a full serving of Carbolin 19 in it.

Phill