Cutting Calories = Gain Fat?

Hello. I’m confused by what has been happening with me. I was gaining very slowly for the last 4 months by eating about 2800 cals a day.

I did not like how much fat I gained though, so I cut the calories back by 100-200 a day for the last month and also ate less fat and carbs…mostly just protein. However, I find that even though my weight has stayed constant (my lifting has stayed the same too) I have gotten even MORE fat. This is confusing me.

Why would cutting back calories cause more fat gain? Has anyone experienced anything like this? Can eating too little fat cause fat gain? Ive been in the area of 30-50 g. fat and 170 g, carbs per day, the rest protein.

Does anyone have any ideas for what I should do to stop this fat gain? I still want to add lean mass.

You shouldn’t go below 20% of your cals from fat. For your 2800 cal diet that would mean a minimum of 62 grams a day.

Lots of people swear by combining protein and fat or protein and carbs.

And timing your carbs in the morning and fats in the evening.

They do so because of better carb intake in the mornings.

Food for thought.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Lots of people swear by combining protein and fat or protein and carbs.

And timing your carbs in the morning and fats in the evening.

They do so because of better carb intake in the mornings.

Food for thought.[/quote]

i agree with this, try having C+P(carb and protein) meals in the first half of the day, and F+P(good fats+protein) for all your evening meals and snacks.good luck

DezZ

Thanks for the replies. I have been doing P+F and P+C but I generally only have small amounts of carbs or fats with the meals…the bulk is protein. For example, I will have a 300 cal meal with 20 g. carbs and 50-60 g. protein. I have usually 1 scoop of Surge (1/2 before workout 1/2 after) Those are my only quick carbs. The next meal I will have some fruit and after that only veggies and meats mostly.

My main wonder is why I cut cals but gained fat. I used to be maintaining on 2800 but now that I’m down near 2500 I’ve gained 3 lbs and added fat even though my workouts are the same, if not longer.

Any suggestions?

By reducing fat and carbs, your body starts looking for something else to use to turn into energy. Then it finds a wonderful source…protein. Then it finds an even easier to use source - human protein. So your body “eats” your muscles…leaving you more fat.

Add a bit more fat to the diet and you should see that turn around in a few weeks.

What was already said about not combining carbs and fat should probably be repeated, but I won’t.

your hormones might be out of whack, both thyroid and sex hormones. also how do you know you are gaining body fat instead of water. Have you increased the density of your training while also increasing calories? how much activity do you do throughout the day to keep your metabolism going and how often do you eat? when was the last time you switched up your routine to shock your body into new progress?these are all things to think about. laters pk

[quote]pkradgreek wrote:
your hormones might be out of whack, both thyroid and sex hormones. also how do you know you are gaining body fat instead of water. Have you increased the density of your training while also increasing calories? how much activity do you do throughout the day to keep your metabolism going and how often do you eat? when was the last time you switched up your routine to shock your body into new progress?these are all things to think about. laters pk[/quote]

On the same token as the first part of this on your hormones etc. and the fats. Fats play a Huge direct role inm hormone production. Drop the fats to low and you can/are dropping optimal hormone production as well.

Get a nice dose of ALL your fats sats included.

I really like refeed days while dieting. Caloric and/or carb cycling really works well.

If you just go lower in cals your body adjusts refeeds seem to keep metabolism high. If you worry about cheat days just do HIIT the day after it.