T Nation

Cutting and Losing My Ass

I know this is a vague question so bare with me. I bulked up 13kg in 7 months and have put on a decent amount of muscle mass. I am happy with the minimal fat gain, apart from my ass which is a little bit too big and my friends and gf have commented on it. I mean, bodybuilding is an aesthetic pursuit after all and I definitely don’t want to look worse after all the effort I put in.

I do a lot of squatting and deads so I know that is part of the problem, I also do no cardio. I know you can’t spot reduce fat but would a little cardio help trim a bit of fat of my ass? Does anyone else have this problem? Does ass fat reduce quickly or slowly? I just want general answers, I’d say i’m around 14% bf and my waist has increased by 3 inches. I am willing to deal with it if it will affect my progress too detrementally, but I’d just like to see what you think.

You should be doing cardio to minimize fat gain. I’ve learned this the hard way. 3 times a week, 30min. Hopefully your diet is cleaner than mine was.

Thanks, there is a lot of conflicting information regarding cardio, but I’m going to give it a go. My diet is pretty clean though, so I haven’t seen any extreme fat gain

I have had a similar issue. (and still have to fight it a bit)

First, I skipped cardio for years and this is a BIG mistake. You will increase your strength faster with a minimum amount of cardio, and also keep you heart healthy.

Second, I tried powerlifting on for size for a little more than a year. I was on a great team with great coaches, and my glutes seemed to grow more than anything else - a look I was NOT happy with. Add some extra fat to that and you have one sloppy looking physique eh?

Now I still squat and deadlift, but I separate the lifts onto different days. When I squat, I do it LAST, after leg extensions and leg presses, and I try to keep a narrower stance. I can’t lift as much, but I feel it slightly more in the quads. (and less in the glutes)

Additionally, a 3 inch gain on your waist makes me think your “bulk” was too much fat gain in that period. Next bulk, you might want to adjust your diet somewhat.

[quote]mithious wrote:
I have had a similar issue. (and still have to fight it a bit)

First, I skipped cardio for years and this is a BIG mistake. You will increase your strength faster with a minimum amount of cardio, and also keep you heart healthy.

Second, I tried powerlifting on for size for a little more than a year. I was on a great team with great coaches, and my glutes seemed to grow more than anything else - a look I was NOT happy with. Add some extra fat to that and you have one sloppy looking physique eh?

Now I still squat and deadlift, but I separate the lifts onto different days. When I squat, I do it LAST, after leg extensions and leg presses, and I try to keep a narrower stance. I can’t lift as much, but I feel it slightly more in the quads. (and less in the glutes)

Additionally, a 3 inch gain on your waist makes me think your “bulk” was too much fat gain in that period. Next bulk, you might want to adjust your diet somewhat.

[/quote]

Do you really think you can gain strength quicker by adding a low level of cardio?

Hi,

I heard of 2 techniques for loosing fat on the glutes: electro stimulation and walking while tightening the glutes. The first one seamed to give results on a friend.

HTH

I found front squats helped shift my posture/muscle to be less ass dominant.

[quote]TheSpaleal wrote:
Hi,

I heard of 2 techniques for loosing fat on the glutes: electro stimulation and walking while tightening the glutes. The first one seamed to give results on a friend.

HTH[/quote]

Spot reduction? No.

^^ haha true

You might be above 14% and need to lose a few lbs…

[quote]Zarellz wrote:

[quote]mithious wrote:
I have had a similar issue. (and still have to fight it a bit)

First, I skipped cardio for years and this is a BIG mistake. You will increase your strength faster with a minimum amount of cardio, and also keep you heart healthy.

Second, I tried powerlifting on for size for a little more than a year. I was on a great team with great coaches, and my glutes seemed to grow more than anything else - a look I was NOT happy with. Add some extra fat to that and you have one sloppy looking physique eh?

Now I still squat and deadlift, but I separate the lifts onto different days. When I squat, I do it LAST, after leg extensions and leg presses, and I try to keep a narrower stance. I can’t lift as much, but I feel it slightly more in the quads. (and less in the glutes)

Additionally, a 3 inch gain on your waist makes me think your “bulk” was too much fat gain in that period. Next bulk, you might want to adjust your diet somewhat.

[/quote]

Do you really think you can gain strength quicker by adding a low level of cardio?[/quote]

Yes. Work capacity improves, and workouts improve.

[quote]mithious wrote:

[quote]Zarellz wrote:

[quote]mithious wrote:
I have had a similar issue. (and still have to fight it a bit)

First, I skipped cardio for years and this is a BIG mistake. You will increase your strength faster with a minimum amount of cardio, and also keep you heart healthy.

Second, I tried powerlifting on for size for a little more than a year. I was on a great team with great coaches, and my glutes seemed to grow more than anything else - a look I was NOT happy with. Add some extra fat to that and you have one sloppy looking physique eh?

Now I still squat and deadlift, but I separate the lifts onto different days. When I squat, I do it LAST, after leg extensions and leg presses, and I try to keep a narrower stance. I can’t lift as much, but I feel it slightly more in the quads. (and less in the glutes)

Additionally, a 3 inch gain on your waist makes me think your “bulk” was too much fat gain in that period. Next bulk, you might want to adjust your diet somewhat.

[/quote]

Do you really think you can gain strength quicker by adding a low level of cardio?[/quote]

Yes. Work capacity improves, and workouts improve.
[/quote]

Are you talking about the total amount of reps you could do in a set, due to increased endurance?

What are your measurements in inches? I’ve got big legs and a big butt myself … but that is only because the general public doesn’t compare. Maybe you stand out because you have big, legit muscles. I felt the same way for awhile until I did a little research and found out that 40" is about right for 5’11 192#. Doesn’t fit well into most pants though.

LOL @ the thought that your ass is too big…

It isn’t an I don’t even need stats or pics to tell you it isn’t too big.

Make the rest of your body match your ass.

lmao, what kind of friends you have that comment on your ass size all the time…

LOL.

Thanks for the advice guys.

So, I put on an extra 3 inches but I’ve still got visible abs if I tense up and I feel slim apart from a tiny belly. I think my hamstrings are definitely part of the problem because they have grown a lot, which I guess will be the case for anyone who has a dedicated legs day rather than bench and curls 5 days a week.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
LOL @ the thought that your ass is too big…

It isn’t an I don’t even need stats or pics to tell you it isn’t too big.

Make the rest of your body match your ass.

lmao, what kind of friends you have that comment on your ass size all the time…

LOL.[/quote]

I have a unique situation in that I live in Korea and frequent the public baths with my friends, so I spend some time naked with them and they see my massive ass sometimes. Sounds weird, but I can assure you its awesome once you get over the Western public nudity taboo.

I have bust a few pairs of trousers, I started wearing a Korean version of the “Rex Kwon Do” badboys and they suit me well. I am by no means hulk, but I just don’t want a disproportionate ass. I’m going to do some cardio.

[quote]HiFiBoy wrote:
I am by no means hulk, but I just don’t want a disproportionate ass. [/quote]

What I’m saying is make the rest of your body match your giant ass.

Plus I have a decently large bottom, and have only even gotten complements about it…

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]HiFiBoy wrote:
I am by no means hulk, but I just don’t want a disproportionate ass. [/quote]

What I’m saying is make the rest of your body match your giant ass.

Plus I have a decently large bottom, and have only even gotten complements about it…[/quote]

Gotta agree with Beansie here … his ass is AMAZING

butt seriously (lulz) …

Alright enough joking, I have a decent sized tush and I’ve heard both sides of the comment coin regarding it. personally I don’t give a rats ass (get it?) what anyone says about it, my girl loves my jucie booty. If it helps me lift heavier weights, so be it. But then again, I’m not really in this to be aesthetically pleasing, but it is a welcomed side effect. I’d imagine any kind of look isn’t going to please everyone, so you might just want to stop trying to please everyone and focus on what YOU want.

chicks dig a muscular ass!

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]HiFiBoy wrote:
I am by no means hulk, but I just don’t want a disproportionate ass. [/quote]

What I’m saying is make the rest of your body match your giant ass.

Plus I have a decently large bottom, and have only even gotten complements about it…[/quote]

Gotta agree with Beansie here … his ass is AMAZING

butt seriously (lulz) …

Alright enough joking, I have a decent sized tush and I’ve heard both sides of the comment coin regarding it. personally I don’t give a rats ass (get it?) what anyone says about it, my girl loves my jucie booty. If it helps me lift heavier weights, so be it. But then again, I’m not really in this to be aesthetically pleasing, but it is a welcomed side effect. I’d imagine any kind of look isn’t going to please everyone, so you might just want to stop trying to please everyone and focus on what YOU want.[/quote]

This. And don’t discount the extra fat you’ve put on, I’ve ended up losing weight due to some kind of illness and my ass seems to have shrunk disproportionately.

[quote]Zarellz wrote:

[quote]mithious wrote:

[quote]Zarellz wrote:

[quote]mithious wrote:
I have had a similar issue. (and still have to fight it a bit)

First, I skipped cardio for years and this is a BIG mistake. You will increase your strength faster with a minimum amount of cardio, and also keep you heart healthy.

Second, I tried powerlifting on for size for a little more than a year. I was on a great team with great coaches, and my glutes seemed to grow more than anything else - a look I was NOT happy with. Add some extra fat to that and you have one sloppy looking physique eh?

Now I still squat and deadlift, but I separate the lifts onto different days. When I squat, I do it LAST, after leg extensions and leg presses, and I try to keep a narrower stance. I can’t lift as much, but I feel it slightly more in the quads. (and less in the glutes)

Additionally, a 3 inch gain on your waist makes me think your “bulk” was too much fat gain in that period. Next bulk, you might want to adjust your diet somewhat.

[/quote]

Do you really think you can gain strength quicker by adding a low level of cardio?[/quote]

Yes. Work capacity improves, and workouts improve.
[/quote]

Are you talking about the total amount of reps you could do in a set, due to increased endurance?[/quote]

Not specifically, no. Increasing your work capacity allows you to work with more intensity, for longer periods, and recover more quickly between sets.

In more general terms, it is possible to build up muscle while being “out of shape” from lack of cardio, but you will find that you get gassed over a hard set, you wear out easily and are just finished after a short period of time.

If you are more “in shape” you’ll find you can knock out set after set, with a higher intensity (more weight for same number of reps) and train longer.

I mentioned this originally in the thread because I am a naturally rather scrawny guy, and I followed all the advice, for years, about skipping cardio. From my experience, it is a big mistake.

Additionally, I don’t find that a modest amount of cardio hinders my recovery at all, but improves it. I feel better, am in all around better athletic shape, and I can workout harder.

Also I think people listen to the don’t do cardio crap because they want an excuse to skip it out of laziness.