T Nation

Cutting and Lifting

I recently started using Texas Method for bench (started with low numbers relatively) but I also started using strong-15 by Lift-Bang-Run blog guy for squat and deadlift. I put my current maxes at 200 for deadlift and 180 for squat.

However, already week 2 and the deadlift is tough as **** and you’re meant to add like 5-10lbs to your working max every 3 weeks. Not sure if I should just repeat the 3 weeks again or what. I did 185kg today and it was tough and it asks for 190kg next week. In reality I think 190kg is likely to be my max or very, very close to it. Should I just restart with lower numbers for deadlift or what?

Just a bit confused because most routines assume you’re gonna get stronger but on a cut that’s probably not going to be the case. I want to at least maintain my strength but I’m not sure if that means starting at a lower working max and trying to achieve a maintenance max or what.

Probably silly of me to get into a peaking routine whilst on a cut but I definitely want to keep pushing heavy weights and not lose strength. Any ideas guys?

I would recommend that you divide your training into distinct phases: For a peaking phase combine this with a period of heavy eating, if you wish to cut then just try to maintain your strength.

You can’t serve two masters. Pick one.

CS

What is your height/ weight/ BF?

How much do you want to lose and in what time period?

Difficult to help much without this info.

Carb cycling is an easy way to drop some fat and lift heavy, but answer the above and you will probably get a more detailed and helpful answer.

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:
You can’t serve two masters. Pick one.

CS[/quote]
I agree. The issue is, you still want to lift heavy to maintain at the very least. The routine that makes you big/strong should be still used to cut, no?

Now the issue is that I don’t know how I go about doing that. I can’t just say I’m cutting and do 50% of maxes and lose a lot of my strength.

For example, if you did Ed Coan’s training on a cut - would your goal numbers to hit just be something you’ve done before to maintain or what?

[quote]michael_xyz wrote:

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:
You can’t serve two masters. Pick one.

CS[/quote]
I agree. The issue is, you still want to lift heavy to maintain at the very least. The routine that makes you big/strong should be still used to cut, no?

Now the issue is that I don’t know how I go about doing that. I can’t just say I’m cutting and do 50% of maxes and lose a lot of my strength.

For example, if you did Ed Coan’s training on a cut - would your goal numbers to hit just be something you’ve done before to maintain or what?[/quote]

“Lifting heavy” is a broad term. To one person, it may be heavy, but to another, it may be something completely different.

You wouldn’t want to take as drastic as of a drop as 50%; that’s a little much. I would drop my training numbers a good 15-20% if I were to ever do a cut. And yes, I would try and hit something I have before.

CS

[quote]yolo84 wrote:
What is your height/ weight/ BF?

How much do you want to lose and in what time period?

Difficult to help much without this info.

Carb cycling is an easy way to drop some fat and lift heavy, but answer the above and you will probably get a more detailed and helpful answer.[/quote]

5’10, 205lbs. Not sure on BF% but in reality maybe 20%? Bulked since day one of lifting and it’s been 2 years and 4 months since then. Did it fairly slow but still.

I want to get down to fairly lean levels - about 12% BF? So goal maybe to lose like 15lbs or something. Idea is to do this over 12 weeks or so.

An idea I had is to just use the routine that I am but put my goal weight to be a PR currently. That way I can try maintain strength. So if my PR is 100 now, I just put in 100 to hit in 12 weeks time and then go from there.

I’ve found that westside is a great tool for cutting since you’re constantly in the 90% range. That and carb backloading have seen me make my most successful cuts. Currently down about 7 lbs or so since my last meet but stronger than I was there - that was around 7 weeks ago.

[quote]michael_xyz wrote:
So goal maybe to lose like 15lbs or something. Idea is to do this over 12 weeks or so.
[/quote]

Nothing fancy is needed to do this and there is no need to lose any strength, or to stop gaining strength.

Just clean up your diet, and add in a little cardio. A bit of steady state a few days a week or some FMC will work fine, you’re only after around 1lb a week remember.

Honestly there is absolutely zero reason why you cannot keep gaining.

Good luck, weigh yourself tomorrow and report back in 12 weeks when you have lost 15lbs :slight_smile:

just try this

everyday first thing in the morning take
1- tablespoon of l-Carnitine
2- a big scoop of BCAA’s

and go for a 20-30 min walk.

repeat everyday for 2 months without changing much else. (although cleaning up your diet would be a wise wise choice).