Cutting and Hunger

Before I start to rattle off a bunch of questions, here’s some info about me.

5’7"
190lbs
bf 15? not sure

Lifts
bench 260
squat 350
dead 425
clean 217

I have spent the last 9 months, with a couple short breaks here and there,(surfing trips!) trying to bulk up. I went through a few different supplements, but stuck with:

Creatine
Surge Recovery
Grow! Whey or Muscle Milk
Multivitamin training packs

I train 5-6 times a week and have been eating everything in sight. That is the problem I am dealing with right now. I have gained about 15lbs and tons of strength, but more fat than I had anticipated.

I now want to try and lose a bunch of the fat I accumulated while keeping as much muscle mass as possible. Then I plan on returning to a bulking phase, but cleaning up my diet and focusing on building lean mass.

I have spent the last couple weeks trying to adjust my diet, but I am used to eating so much that I am finding myself very hungry all the time. I am spreading my meals out into 5-6/day, making sure i still get enough protein and throwing in a lot more fruits and veggies.

I know it is going to take me a while to slowly adjust my eating habits, but what kinds of food choices will help curb my appetite? Is there anything I can not worry about eating too much of?

Also, I was wondering if I should discontinue using creating while I am cutting? Maybe add a fat burner in the mix?

By the way, the pic is from January, so I have made some progress since then.

Any type of advice,criticism, etc. is greatly appreciated.

Have some green tea or chewing gum whenever you feel hungry.

[quote]sjfou wrote:
Have some green tea or chewing gum whenever you feel hungry.[/quote]

and tons of green veggies and also realize well your eating less then maintenance, cutting your going to have hunger,.

The creatine?? No keep it IMO its even better while cutting it will help keep your muscles hydrated and aid in keeping intensity up even just a touch which is HUGE while hypocalroic

Phill

…and eat some more vegtables after that.

Eventually you will adjust to the amount you’ve been eating and begin to feel more satiated than you currently do.

Also, Diet pop and ECA work well for surviving that last litte bit prior to your next meal.

Nevertheless start with the veg; that’s your smartest option.

Green beans are your best freind when leaning out…Inhale them

I’ve noticed the biggest thing that curbs my hunger is fat. Specifically almonds, walnuts…as well as various nut butters.

Olive oil too.

When i’ve been cutting and i’ve noticed my protein and veggie meal has left me hungry, i add a small handful of nuts…usually does the trick pretty well.
Plus you’re getting additional fiber.

Actually more than anything, protein, carbs, etc.
Healthy fats seem to get rid of my hunger pains the best.

Granted you are indeed adding calories to your daily intake…but if you are reducing your carb intake for cutting, you should be upping the healthy fats anyway.

[quote]Phill wrote:
sjfou wrote:
Have some green tea or chewing gum whenever you feel hungry.

and tons of green veggies and also realize well your eating less then maintenance, cutting your going to have hunger,.

The creatine?? No keep it IMO its even better while cutting it will help keep your muscles hydrated and aid in keeping intensity up even just a touch which is HUGE while hypocalroic

Phill

[/quote]
This may sound stupid, but what does IMO stand for?

IMO = In My Opinion

[quote]sven33 wrote:
I’ve noticed the biggest thing that curbs my hunger is fat. Specifically almonds, walnuts…as well as various nut butters.

Olive oil too.

When i’ve been cutting and i’ve noticed my protein and veggie meal has left me hungry, i add a small handful of nuts…usually does the trick pretty well.
Plus you’re getting additional fiber.

Actually more than anything, protein, carbs, etc.
Healthy fats seem to get rid of my hunger pains the best.

Granted you are indeed adding calories to your daily intake…but if you are reducing your carb intake for cutting, you should be upping the healthy fats anyway.[/quote]

I second this sven33. Whenever I feel hungry, I just pop a few almonds and I’m good. I try to eat 1 ounce (roughly 23 almonds) every day, so I usually just eat 4-5 at a time throughout the day and it really helps.

I noticed you didnt take Metabolic Drive. Or at least not currently taking it.

The casein in it usually keeps me filled up for a couple of more hours longer than just whey. I would try having two scoops of it with your second meal of the day and it should help you stay satisfied for longer.

If you dont want to buy Metabolic Drive, cottage cheese also offers casein protein.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
I noticed you didnt take Metabolic Drive. Or at least not currently taking it.

The casein in it usually keeps me filled up for a couple of more hours longer than just whey. I would try having two scoops of it with your second meal of the day and it should help you stay satisfied for longer.

If you dont want to buy Metabolic Drive, cottage cheese also offers casein protein.[/quote]

Yeah, cottage cheese one of the things I have found to be helpfull so far, but I often find myself opening a new tub and wondering where the hell it all went minutes later.

You don’t have anywhere near the amount of muscle to be cutting right now and will lose a great deal of what you’ve gained. Unless you wanna have a ‘beach body’ and look like all you do is push-ups and play volleyball I think you’re going to regret this.

PROTEIN, Cottage Cheese, FIBER, and FAT. Controlling your blood sugars is very important to stave off hunger. Add cinnamon to shakes, oatmeal, cottage cheese etc. Cinnamon is a natural blood sugar stabilizer.

Even though fruits are great for you they still are a source of sugar as fructose which has an impact on blood sugar and hinders bf loss. To get around this I personally buy TRUE LEMON crystallized lemon juice.

They come in packets, are all natural, no sugar. Add em to water and add stevia as a sweetener and it tastes just like regular lemon juice. Benefit of lemons without the sugar. Just some ideas.

[quote]Majin wrote:
You don’t have anywhere near the amount of muscle to be cutting right now and will lose a great deal of what you’ve gained. Unless you wanna have a ‘beach body’ and look like all you do is push-ups and play volleyball I think you’re going to regret this.[/quote]

Eh, well it all depends on his goals.
Not everyone wants to look like Ronnie Coleman.
In fact most people don’t. Most would rather have a “beach body”…and there’s nothing wrong with wanting either.

If he’s smart about the cut nutritionally and doesn’t do anything way dramatic…and keeps the weights heavy, he should be fine.

[quote]sven33 wrote:
Majin wrote:
You don’t have anywhere near the amount of muscle to be cutting right now and will lose a great deal of what you’ve gained. Unless you wanna have a ‘beach body’ and look like all you do is push-ups and play volleyball I think you’re going to regret this.

[/quote]

Really? Does he look anywhere NEAR even half of Ronnie Coleman? A third of the way? One fifth? Maybe one day you’ll realize that there are some other levels of size between ‘thin+abs’ and ‘pro-bodybuilder’ which people aspire to achieve.

[quote]Majin wrote:
sven33 wrote:
Majin wrote:

Really? Does he look anywhere NEAR even half of Ronnie Coleman? A third of the way? One fifth? Maybe one day you’ll realize that there are some other levels of size between ‘thin+abs’ and ‘pro-bodybuilder’ which people aspire to achieve.
[/quote]

Ok, right now, my goals are not to get huge. Yes, I eventually want to put on some signigicant size, but not to the point where I am getting chafed walking around because my thighs rub together.

I have only been training seriously for a couple years and I understand that I have a lot of serious time to put in the gym. Thus far, I am happy with my strength gains and have managed to put on about 20lbs.

My thoughts are that I want to get to know how my body reacts and what works for me when I want to shed some fat. I would rather do this now, and learn from any mistakes I make, rather than after spending countless months bulking, only to find out I don’t know how to cut properly. Make sense?

In addition, I am a college student, which means that keeping that six-pack around comes in handy, if you get my drift.

I appreciate all the info,incouragement, and critisizm from everyone, and I will be sure to post about my progress as I reach my goals…and set new ones…and reach them…you get the point.