Cutting Advice

Hey guys, I’m looking to do my first real cut cycle and could use some help. 5 weeks from now I have athletic competition (its pretty obscure) which will basically consist of hill sprints. I’ve been doing my research but I’m creating as many questions as I’m answering.

I was thinking of doing a OL routine like this: http://www.qwa.org/programs/tadv13.asp , and a sprint program like this http://www.ijwsoft.com/books/The%20Off%20Season%20Football%20Speed%20Training%20Workout.pdf. I really need to increase my speed and power so the explosive movement seem the way to go.

I realize 5 weeks isn’t a lot of time but any advice you guys could give me would be great (diet/supplement advice too would be appreciated).
Oh and if it helps I’m 5’11" and 175lb about 14% bf, this is my first post and if I’ve omitted any info I’ll fill it in asap.

Why would you cut leading up to an athletic competition? This is a bad idea.

I guess I should change what I’m asking then. To me it makes sense that less body fat would result in being able to sprint faster. Should I not try to be cutting some bf% or should i just not call it a cutting cycle?

You should train your sprinting while eating enough food to recover. Yes dropping some bodyfat will help you sprint faster, but 5 weeks before an event is not the time to do it.

An NFL running back wouldn’t be trying to lose weight during the preseason.

Thanks man, I appreciate the responses. For future reference what kind of time frame should I be giving myself and do you think swapping my lifting routine to something OL oriented instead of bodybuilding would be beneficial?

[quote]theMBV wrote:
Thanks man, I appreciate the responses. For future reference what kind of time frame should I be giving myself and do you think swapping my lifting routine to something OL oriented instead of bodybuilding would be beneficial?[/quote]

Time frame for what?

If your goals are athletic oreinted, then you should train like an athlete. Reading up on WS4SB and the Juggernaut method would be a good place to start.