T Nation

Cuts of Meat

hey,

lately ive been wondering about different cuts of meat, mostly about how lean each cut is. What types of cuts for steak and pork(if you eat it) do you guys buy? which are the leanest? does lean always=good?

thanx

http://www.mealsforyou.com/cgi-bin/customize?meatcutsTOC.html

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/meatcharts.html

Those are pretty cool sites for cuts of meat. For Beef I usually buy Tenderloin, Top Sirloin, T-Bone, Rib eye and ground sirloin 90% lean. Pork I usually just get tenderloin. Tenderloin cuts are usually the leanest, but whether or not that is the best thing depends if thats what fits into your dietary goals.

For your meal entertainment…

FYI
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ea/article/0,1976,FOOD_9956_2245424,00.html

It’s a map of beef, where different cuts come from etc… I suggest watching the Good Eats episode of this on your favorite TV show video watching site. I won’t post one here but you get the idea…

I work in a grocery store meat department, and it really helps when purchasing meat. For beef I’ll usually buy Ribeye/Delmonico Steak, Top Sirloin Steak, Chuck Eye Steak, or Flat Iron Steaks (which are EXTREMELY tender for a relatively inexpensive piece of beef). As far as pork, you cannot go wrong with boneless center cut pork loin, or pork tenderloin.

-Matt

[quote]slimsaw00 wrote:
I work in a grocery store meat department, and it really helps when purchasing meat. For beef I’ll usually buy Ribeye/Delmonico Steak, Top Sirloin Steak, Chuck Eye Steak, or Flat Iron Steaks (which are EXTREMELY tender for a relatively inexpensive piece of beef). As far as pork, you cannot go wrong with boneless center cut pork loin, or pork tenderloin.

-Matt[/quote]

it helps when you get “insider info”

solid

Do yourselves the favor and buy the roasts and cut them yourself…saves $3-4/pound minimum.

I actually eat all the cuts of beef. Find yourself a local farmer on eatwild.com and buy a quarter- or half-beef.

I just bought a quarter-beef from a local farm (100% grass-fed), which is about 140 lbs of all the cuts (steaks, roasts, ~30 lbs ground beef, etc) for $3.60/lb.

Best investment I ever made.

[quote]d-bone wrote:
I actually eat all the cuts of beef. Find yourself a local farmer on eatwild.com and buy a quarter- or half-beef.

I just bought a quarter-beef from a local farm (100% grass-fed), which is about 140 lbs of all the cuts (steaks, roasts, ~30 lbs ground beef, etc) for $3.60/lb.

[/quote]

Do they cut it all up for you or do you do that yourself? Is this something the avg joe can do?

most farms cut it for you.

When I lived in Washington, I would get a whole hog 2 times a year, all i had to do was pick it up. Came nicely wrapped in butcher paper - labeled. Then I would wrap and freeze in individual servings and store in a deep freezer…

[quote]ceeej wrote:
FYI
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ea/article/0,1976,FOOD_9956_2245424,00.html

It’s a map of beef, where different cuts come from etc… I suggest watching the Good Eats episode of this on your favorite TV show video watching site. I won’t post one here but you get the idea…[/quote]

Thanks for that link, Alton Brown is the man.

[quote]inthego wrote:
For your meal entertainment…[/quote]

That means taking “eating anything that has a face” waaaayyy to far.

[quote]Dubbz wrote:
d-bone wrote:

Do they cut it all up for you or do you do that yourself? Is this something the avg joe can do?[/quote]

Yeah the farmer works w/ a local butcher who lets you customize what cuts you want (as much as possible…obviously I can’t get all tenderloin steaks). I pick it up all neatly packaged up and ready for the freezer. Go to eatwild.com and see what you can find in your area…I really lucked out I think w/ the farmer I found.