Cuts Fitness

lol: “People my age don’t want big muscles, said Naugin, who promptly joined the flagship Cuts when his wife discovered it in nearby Clark. We want to come in quick, and get back home before the wife yells at you.”

Interesting…

Of course the marketing and image are sissy, but some of the ideas aren’t bad.

And Blitz sounds like it could be my kind of place, although I don’t know since I have never been inside one.

[quote]boomerlu wrote:
Interesting…

And Blitz sounds like it could be my kind of place, although I don’t know since I have never been inside one.[/quote]

Blitz sounds just as lame as cuts, except they pretend to be hardcore. Anyone who only has time for a 20 minute circuit of weight lifting isn’t serious about getting stronger or more muscular.

Who are these people who are intimidated by Gold’s Gym or Bally’s? While there may be a musclehead of two in Gold’s, most of the people there are weak and out of shape.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
boomerlu wrote:
Interesting…

And Blitz sounds like it could be my kind of place, although I don’t know since I have never been inside one.

Blitz sounds just as lame as cuts, except they pretend to be hardcore. Anyone who only has time for a 20 minute circuit of weight lifting isn’t serious about getting stronger or more muscular.[/quote]

That’s what I gather from that, they admit the founder took advantage of what he thought was a gap in the market - namely people too lazy to ‘really’ commit themselves to strength and fitness.

What I’m noticing lately though is more people who don’t want to do “anything” when it comes to their health, exercise & nutrition.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:

Who are these people who are intimidated by Gold’s Gym or Bally’s? While there may be a musclehead of two in Gold’s, most of the people there are weak and out of shape.[/quote]

I’ve often wondered this myself; people claiming they are “intimidated” by a posh gym chain like those you mentioned. Shit, the late eighties, roid monster hole-in-the-wall I started out in as a teenager would give these yuppie wussies nightmares.

God, but I miss old Popeye’s. It was a gym that used to occupy the second floor of an old warehouse just on the edge of downtown Kitchener. In the summer it was hot as Hell, and they’d throw open these big ol’ bay doors (I could never figure out why they were on the second floor) and help air the place out. It was 24/7, so if you went in later at night you avoided the crowd and got to see some of the hardcore guys train.

At 25 I was training far too hard, not nearly smart enough, and not eating nearly enough to support the insane amount of work I was doing. Talking with a couple of the big guys there helped wake me up.

Now they own the whole warehouse, there’s plenty of chrome, and a massive aerobics studio on the main floor. Still a damned fine gym from what I’ve heard… but I still miss the raw energy of the old place. You could feel it in stepping through the door and climbing that massive length of stairs… knowing that you’d suffer like a dog trying to get back down after training legs.

The other gyms in town were too wussy to be believed. That these new places seek to go several steps of wuss beyond even that? It boggles the mind.

{quote]“The product that our members find attractive is a quick, effective workout in a comfortable environment. There are no ‘muscle heads’ in our gyms and it’s very relationship-oriented,” said Haase. “It’s similar to Cheers where everyone does know your name which goes against the grain of most traditional gyms,” says Haase.[/quote]

Why are they discriminating against “muscle heads”? Does this give us free license to laugh out loud at every 150lbs out of shape weekend warrior who doesn’t even put the pin in the weight stack as he does lat pull downs badly?

Most gyms used to be “relationship oriented”. The difference is, if you weren’t very serious, no one cared about your relationship. Why would I want my gym to be like Cheers?

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
boomerlu wrote:
Interesting…

Blitz sounds just as lame as cuts, except they pretend to be hardcore. Anyone who only has time for a 20 minute circuit of weight lifting isn’t serious about getting stronger or more muscular. [/quote]

I was under the impression that the 20 minute circuit was available, but they have “the usual”. I’ll reserve judgement for until I actually see the place. Of course if it turns out…then you are obviously right.

And I agree with Ross69. Sure I fuckin hate how people are getting lazy and such, but you can’t blame the creator for the laziness and ease of intimidation of a lot of people.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
{quote]“The product that our members find attractive is a quick, effective workout in a comfortable environment. There are no ‘muscle heads’ in our gyms and it’s very relationship-oriented,” said Haase. “It’s similar to Cheers where everyone does know your name which goes against the grain of most traditional gyms,” says Haase.

Why are they discriminating against “muscle heads”? Does this give us free license to laugh out loud at every 150lbs out of shape weekend warrior who doesn’t even put the pin in the weight stack as he does lat pull downs badly?

Most gyms used to be “relationship oriented”. The difference is, if you weren’t very serious, no one cared about your relationship. Why would I want my gym to be like Cheers?[/quote]

Of course, but this gym obviously is not made to cater to us. Take one look at the name…basically I knew what I was headed into before ever actually reading the article, just by the thread title.

Oh yeah, of course it gives us free license. I personally kind of shake my head, but hey you do what you gotta do to cope with stupidity.

[quote]boomerlu wrote:
cap’nsalty wrote:
boomerlu wrote:
Interesting…

Blitz sounds just as lame as cuts, except they pretend to be hardcore. Anyone who only has time for a 20 minute circuit of weight lifting isn’t serious about getting stronger or more muscular.

I was under the impression that the 20 minute circuit was available, but they have “the usual”. I’ll reserve judgement for until I actually see the place. Of course if it turns out…then you are obviously right.

And I agree with Ross69. Sure I fuckin hate how people are getting lazy and such, but you can’t blame the creator for the laziness and ease of intimidation of a lot of people.[/quote]

Whether they have the usual or not is besides the point. You’re just not going to find a very hardcore environment when their main training program is designed for convenience rather than results.

WoW! I didn’t know that the castrated lapdog/mangina demographic even existed.

Thats why I’m not a market analyst.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
WoW! I didn’t know that the castrated lapdog/mangina demographic even existed.

Thats why I’m not a market analyst.
[/quote]

Haha, great post :slight_smile:

WOW, i just read that whole article, and i have to say that it was horrible. Spare yourself the pain, dont read that shit.

“In some cases, those members that use the circuit within their gyms are perceived as ?weak? or not able to work out with the ?real men,? using ?real equipment,?? said Gennaro. At Cuts, there is no stigma, because image means nothing. There are not even mirrors on the walls.”

LOL…

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:

Whether they have the usual or not is besides the point. You’re just not going to find a very hardcore environment when their main training program is designed for convenience rather than results.[/quote]

True, I guess it’s just a matter of optimal vs acceptable. The environment at my gym is far from hardcore as well, so I might just be looking for any type of step up. Optimal of course would probably be like a PL gym, or an Oly lifting training facility.

[quote]Ross69 wrote:

lol: “People my age don’t want big muscles, said Naugin, who promptly joined the flagship Cuts when his wife discovered it in nearby Clark. We want to come in quick, and get back home before the wife yells at you.”[/quote]

I nominate that guy for the Soy Award. The sad part is that he probably thinks that he is all that for not getting yelled at.

My opinion, if he wants an “everyone knows your name” and “encouragement” envirement. Go to a small ratty gym.

You’ll quickly be known and you’ll get very strong and physical encouragement and as weak as this guy talks I don’t think he’ll be able to work more than 20 minutes.

[quote]Chris Adams wrote:
My opinion, if he wants an “everyone knows your name” and “encouragement” envirement. Go to a small ratty gym.

You’ll quickly be known and you’ll get very strong and physical encouragement and as weak as this guy talks I don’t think he’ll be able to work more than 20 minutes.[/quote]

Agreed, but like written above, no one wants to know your name if you only come to the gym to socialize and don’t take it seriously. Even in more regular gyms, most of the larger guys know/respect each other if they are regulars. Does it really surprise the weekend warrior when no one is really interested in knowing who you are when you think the straight leg calf machine is where you do leg presses?

To make any sort of serious results, you have to live this outside of the gym as well. Crap like this fitness center is simply feeding on the nation’s laziness. that may be great from a business perspective, but it only enforces the idea that anyone who spends more than 20min even thinking about activity each day is a “muscle headed” idiot who should be avoided. At least they didn’t use the line “it’s for real people with real lives”.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
boomerlu wrote:
cap’nsalty wrote:
boomerlu wrote:
Interesting…

And I agree with Ross69. Sure I fuckin hate how people are getting lazy and such, but you can’t blame the creator for the laziness and ease of intimidation of a lot of people.

Whether they have the usual or not is besides the point. You’re just not going to find a very hardcore environment when their main training program is designed for convenience rather than results.[/quote]

I don’t agree with their philsophy, but who needs a hardcore environment? I bring my own self-contained environment to the gym. Sure, it’s nice to occasionally train with another serious lifter. But I usually train alone.

My favorite gyms have been LA Fitnesses with a couple squat and power racks, plenty of 45 lb plates, a chin/dip station, and heavy dumbells…that almost no one uses. I rarely have to wait to use anything. I never get bothered. I get great workouts.

I see it as a positive at any rate. Nothing anyone here would be interested in, but I agree that there are going to be some out-of-shape, middle-aged men who are currently doing nothing who will at least be drawn by this concept and begin picking up some weights and doing some semblance of cardio. And they’ll be healthier for it.

[quote]MODOK wrote:
The existence of this gym brings something very interesting to light about our male society which is very disturbing. This gym was created because men feel intimidated by other MEN. This is something totally new. It goes along with the new Hummer commercials in a way, if you’ve seen them. The one where the guy is checking out at the grocery store and has all dainty vegetables, and the guy behind him plops down 100 lbs of beef. The vegetarian then proceeds to go buy a hummer to “feel like a man”.

It seems like men now, instead of being self confident enough to know that they ARE a man regardless of what they look like or what they eat, are instead too scared to be themselves.

They’ll escape a Gold’s because it intimidates them, and instead of saying “I’m me, and it doesn’t matter what these people think about that…” they’ll run away from the feeling of inadaquecy and congregate with other people who are afraid to be themselves in public. I’d rename “Cuts” the “Chicken Coop” if I were them.[/quote]

Agreed, but then again I also agree with Jsbrook in that I do see it as a fitness positive. Also the flip side of the “cowardice” problem is that at least we see that a problem exists clearly.