T Nation

Cut to 10% or Bulk Over 180?

Tell us more about the best way to gain muscle Mr.154lbs

We’re all ears (and massive bloated guts apparently)

[quote]MC sp3 wrote:
Makavali wrote:
I really don’t see many people on this forum doing:

  • 50x 1 arm chin ups
  • Push-ups with only their thumbs
  • Hold a 125lb barbell straight out while standing
  • Spring a 235 lb (107 kg) opponent 15 feet (4.6 metres) away with a 1 inch punch

So yeah… Bruce Lee was pretty strong.

Or severely injuring his back by performing a 175pound good morning.
Come on, I’ve a lifted of a lot more than that accidentally while pushing my limits on squats.
The point is the guy was 145 at his top weight. For a 145lb man he was incredibly strong. Compared to a 220lb lean BB with average lifting numbers, he was weak as a kitten.

I’m getting sick of all the fuckin’ Bruce Lee thread hijacks. Yes he was an amazing individual, I know that already. I’ve actually studied a little JKD and worked on my clinch and “straight blast”.

So what!

He was a martial artist, not a body builder or a strength athlete. All of his exercises were focused on improving his speed and stamina to constantly improve as a fighter. This is not a MA forum.

Here we discuss weight training for the purpose of building strength and mass. If you want to prattle on about Bruce Lee, go do it over in the combat subforum.

OP, you are skinny fat. Put on some damn muscle before you worry about cutting. What are you going to cut back to, bone?

[/quote]

Maybe your sick of it because you don’t know what your talking about. He wasn’t 145lbs at his heaviest, he was 165.

So you say WOW what a difference? Well show me how heavy the nonsteroided up 5’7 bodybuilders are at under 4% bodyfat?

Besides the fact that within years he added 20lbs of nothing but muscle, please show me how many people do that after 30 without roids?

Reading anything about the man, what he studied and his idealogy you would know that he was an avid bodybuilder and strength proponent. Which is why he worked with ATHLETES not just fighters in all sports. He used his notoriaty to work with boxers, basketball players, and olympic athletes. Worked out upwards of 6 or more hours a day.

So don’t be mad at all the people that admire the man for what he was as a person and didn’t just look at some early movies like you did and think that’s all there is too him.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Tell us more about the best way to gain muscle Mr.154lbs

We’re all ears (and massive bloated guts apparently)[/quote]

I started 5 months ago at 137 and now I’m 154…that’s decent progress in my books. Also, I did gain stomach fat. Now I’m cutting to lose some of it. I started off with a gut, but if I cut at the start I probably wouldn’t have to cut right now.

I also wonder whether more of my gains would have been muscle or not…not sure. However, overall I can’t complain with 17 lbs gained in 5 months for someone trying this for the first time.

In the end, it probably doesn’t matter what you do…cut first or not. However, I keep seeing a lot of experts suggest you cut first…like authors on here or Alan Aragon, etc.

Looking back I can see how it might have been a good idea. But again, in the long run it probably doesn’t matter all that much.

It seems like unless you’re 200+ lbs then nothing you say is valid around here.

[quote]Digity wrote:
mr popular wrote:
Tell us more about the best way to gain muscle Mr.154lbs

We’re all ears (and massive bloated guts apparently)

I started 5 months ago at 137 and now I’m 154…that’s decent progress in my books. Also, I did gain stomach fat. Now I’m cutting to lose some of it. I started off with a gut, but if I cut at the start I probably wouldn’t have to cut right now.

I also wonder whether more of my gains would have been muscle or not…not sure. However, overall I can’t complain with 17 lbs gained in 5 months for someone trying this for the first time.

In the end, it probably doesn’t matter what you do…cut first or not. However, I keep seeing a lot of experts suggest you cut first…like authors on here or Alan Aragon, etc. Looking back I can see how it might have been a good idea. But again, in the long run it probably doesn’t matter all that much.

It seems like unless you’re 200+ lbs then nothing you say is valid around here.[/quote]

You’ve been liftng for 5 months, you weigh in the 150s, and your cutting. You need to gain 30 more pounds at LEAST before you start cutting. It honeslty doesn’t make sense to cut unless you have LBM, which as a skinny fat 155 pounder I’m doubting you have.

I’ve decided not to cut until I’m a solid 200 pounds, then I’ll slim down to 181 at 5’8" for powerlifting. I’lll have a decent build when I cut because I’ll have some muscle.

Just because it needs to be reposted:

The following list are more of the physical feats that are documented and supported by reliable sources.

�?� Lee could lift his leg and fart a fart that could drive back a 275lb opponent 150 yards away

�?� In a speed demonstration, Lee could vanish from a restaurant table within seconds of the waitress presenting the bill, leaving his companions to sit in awe

�?� Lee could lie on a couch and while flipping through old issues of Black Belt perform push-ups using only his mind

�?� When Lee was very young he was able to hold his breath for 60 seconds or longer when he really wanted something.

�?� Lee could throw a handful of M & Ms into the air and then using his tongue catch only the green ones as they fell

�?� Lee could perform one-hand push-ups while using someone else�??s hand

�?� Lee once performed 150 reps of jumping jacks without jock support

�?� Lee could bench press for reps a 125lb barbell while having a chopstick shoved up each nostril.

�?� Lee could break wooden boards with his six inch dick.

�?� Lee performed a secret and ancient Chinese front thrust move while training with a young Ann Margaret, and broke her hymen.

�?� Lee could thrust his fingers through unopened steel cans of Coca-Cola and break his fingers.

Lee could piss a stream of pee that could rival the power of a fire hose.

  • Lee could blow out a booger the size of golf balls.

  • Lee could bust a nut in less than a fourth of a second.

  • The only thing that were smaller than his arms were his penis.

  • During the course of his whole life, Lee has never even seen weights before and that’s evident only by his small, slender tiny muscles that can’t even be compared to that of even a squirrel.

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1810647

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Digity wrote:
mr popular wrote:
Tell us more about the best way to gain muscle Mr.154lbs

We’re all ears (and massive bloated guts apparently)

I started 5 months ago at 137 and now I’m 154…that’s decent progress in my books. Also, I did gain stomach fat. Now I’m cutting to lose some of it. I started off with a gut, but if I cut at the start I probably wouldn’t have to cut right now.

I also wonder whether more of my gains would have been muscle or not…not sure. However, overall I can’t complain with 17 lbs gained in 5 months for someone trying this for the first time.

In the end, it probably doesn’t matter what you do…cut first or not. However, I keep seeing a lot of experts suggest you cut first…like authors on here or Alan Aragon, etc. Looking back I can see how it might have been a good idea. But again, in the long run it probably doesn’t matter all that much.

It seems like unless you’re 200+ lbs then nothing you say is valid around here.

You’ve been liftng for 5 months, you weigh in the 150s, and your cutting. You need to gain 30 more pounds at LEAST before you start cutting. It honeslty doesn’t make sense to cut unless you have LBM, which as a skinny fat 155 pounder I’m doubting you have.

I’ve decided not to cut until I’m a solid 200 pounds, then I’ll slim down to 181 at 5’8" for powerlifting. I’lll have a decent build when I cut because I’ll have some muscle.[/quote]

Since I’m new to this part of me just wants to try a cut diet and workout to see what it’s like. Also, I plan to do it for 1 to 1.5 months max. It’s more of a maintenance thing rather than a serious cut. I understand that I don’t have anywhere close to enough muscle to do an all out cut.

[quote]Digity wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Digity wrote:
mr popular wrote:
Tell us more about the best way to gain muscle Mr.154lbs

We’re all ears (and massive bloated guts apparently)

I started 5 months ago at 137 and now I’m 154…that’s decent progress in my books. Also, I did gain stomach fat. Now I’m cutting to lose some of it. I started off with a gut, but if I cut at the start I probably wouldn’t have to cut right now.

I also wonder whether more of my gains would have been muscle or not…not sure. However, overall I can’t complain with 17 lbs gained in 5 months for someone trying this for the first time.

In the end, it probably doesn’t matter what you do…cut first or not. However, I keep seeing a lot of experts suggest you cut first…like authors on here or Alan Aragon, etc. Looking back I can see how it might have been a good idea. But again, in the long run it probably doesn’t matter all that much.

It seems like unless you’re 200+ lbs then nothing you say is valid around here.

You’ve been liftng for 5 months, you weigh in the 150s, and your cutting. You need to gain 30 more pounds at LEAST before you start cutting. It honeslty doesn’t make sense to cut unless you have LBM, which as a skinny fat 155 pounder I’m doubting you have.

I’ve decided not to cut until I’m a solid 200 pounds, then I’ll slim down to 181 at 5’8" for powerlifting. I’lll have a decent build when I cut because I’ll have some muscle.

Since I’m new to this part of me just wants to try a cut diet and workout to see what it’s like. Also, I plan to do it for 1 to 1.5 months max. It’s more of a maintenance thing rather than a serious cut. I understand that I don’t have anywhere close to enough muscle to do an all out cut.

[/quote]

The best advice I think I can give you would be dropping to maintenance or slightly above, eat cleaner, and do some cardio once in a while, but don’t go overboard.

You’ll lose some of that chub without losing a lot of the muscle, you’ve undoubtably worked hard for. dropping a significant amount of calories will probably drive you into catabolism, eating the muscle you worked hard for.