Cut fat or bulk up?

I’ve been lifting all my life but am getting interested in bodybuilding. I’m not fat by any means, but I the fat I do have is in a roll around my waist obscuring my abs. I’m 6’0", 200 lbs. and although I haven’t measured lately, past experience tells me I’m about 12 to 15% bf right now.

My question is this: should I concentrate on cutting bodyfat (about 2000 calories a day) or should I spend the winter gaining mass (3500 to 4000 calories a day) and then cutting fat in the spring?

I’m eating a good diet of high quality carbs and getting at least 150 g of protein each day.

I think you should spend the winter gaining mass for sure. Good luck!

how about a pic so we can better assess your situation? Also, your eating too little protein.

Use the winter to gain some serious mass.

[quote]Yossarian wrote:
I’ve been lifting all my life but am getting interested in bodybuilding. I’m not fat by any means, but I the fat I do have is in a roll around my waist obscuring my abs. I’m 6’0", 200 lbs. and although I haven’t measured lately, past experience tells me I’m about 12 to 15% bf right now.

My question is this: should I concentrate on cutting bodyfat (about 2000 calories a day) or should I spend the winter gaining mass (3500 to 4000 calories a day) and then cutting fat in the spring?

I’m eating a good diet of high quality carbs and getting at least 150 g of protein each day.[/quote]

T-Nation was telling me you have 224,000 posts. WTF? Also, yah, pics for eval. Doesn’t matter what your bodyfat is if you don’t look fat, right? haha

I will go ahead and tell you right now that you need to be eating more protein, that should be the first change you make, whatever you decide.

[quote]TheBigV wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

I’m eating a good diet of high quality carbs and getting at least 150 g of protein each day.

T-Nation was telling me you have 224,000 posts. WTF? Also, yah, pics for eval. Doesn’t matter what your bodyfat is if you don’t look fat, right? haha[/quote]

The website has been through many changes and back then, some of the changes affected our post counts and even first log in dates. I’ve been here since 2000 but my profile reads 2002 for no reason because of that.

As far as this topic, no one can assess where you are without pictures.

Dieting down simply because of a number is retarded.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
I will go ahead and tell you right now that you need to be eating more protein, that should be the first change you make, whatever you decide.[/quote]

Agreed. I have more than 150gr of protein in me before lunch.

To be honest I don’t understand why everyone say’s go overboard on the protein the best gains I made where when my protein was only 1 gram per pound of bodyweight and had higher carbs. But that’s just me.

[quote]The1andOnly wrote:
To be honest I don’t understand why everyone say’s go overboard on the protein the best gains I made where when my protein was only 1 gram per pound of bodyweight and had higher carbs. But that’s just me. [/quote]

But he’s not even at 1g per pound.

And ‘best gains’ is relative. If you don’t understand why people are emphasizing protein intake than I’d have to question how broad your knowledge is on optimal nutrition.

I don’t think anyone has told this guy to go overboard on the protein; the OP weighs 200lbs and is only getting in 150g protein per day…he needs more, that’s pretty simple.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
The1andOnly wrote:
To be honest I don’t understand why everyone say’s go overboard on the protein the best gains I made where when my protein was only 1 gram per pound of bodyweight and had higher carbs. But that’s just me.

And ‘best gains’ is relative. If you don’t understand why people are emphasizing protein intake than I’d have to question how broad your knowledge is on optimal nutrition. [/quote]

Did I say not to increase protein? Did I claim to have a “broad knowledge” on “optimal nutrition”. I was just talking personally.

I’ve taken a just done what you lot have just done and alot of others and made my own assumptions, you said eat more protein. very broad statement, And yes I would be mistaken for you lot advising him to go overboard on protein, that’s why i expressed my own view. And no I don’t take pictures every time I grow and inch.

I was basically saying you don’t necessarily need to go overboard on protein intake.

To be honest I don’t understand why everyone say’s go overboard on the protein the best gains I made where when my protein was only 1 gram per pound of bodyweight and had higher carbs. But that’s just me. [/quote]

Overboard? Any pics of those “best gains” if you think we told him to go overboard?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
The1andOnly wrote:

Overboard? Any pics of those “best gains” if you think we told him to go overboard?[/quote]

Come on, the guy probably gained 2 lbs in a month without any noticeable fat gain :wink:

BONEZ217 wrote:
The1andOnly wrote:

And ‘best gains’ is relative. If you don’t understand why people are emphasizing protein intake than I’d have to question how broad your knowledge is on optimal nutrition.

Did I say not to increase protein? Did I claim to have a “broad knowledge” on “optimal nutrition”. I was just talking personally.

I’ve taken a just done what you lot have just done and alot of others and made my own assumptions, you said eat more protein. very broad statement, And yes I would be mistaken for you lot advising him to go overboard on protein, that’s why i expressed my own view. And no I don’t take pictures every time I grow and inch.

I was basically saying you don’t necessarily need to go overboard on protein intake.
[/quote]

First of all, I can barely read your post.

But from what I can gather it seems as if you are just being nit picky with semantics. Say what you want, but you don’t need to explicitly state something for people to infer exactly what you mean. If you are going to pull that “show me where I said [random bit that is obviously implied in the post by not stated directly]” bullshit, do it with someone else. I and everyone else can interpret your message. No one besides you mentioned going overboard with protein, therefore it is clear that you think 150g is acceptable for a 200lb man. But based on how poorly you communicate I guess it is possible that you meant the exact opposite of what you wrote.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
The1andOnly wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
The1andOnly wrote:

But from what I can gather it seems as if you are just being nit picky with semantics. Say what you want, but you don’t need to explicitly state something for people to infer exactly what you mean. If you are going to pull that “show me where I said [random bit that is obviously implied in the post by not stated directly]” bullshit, do it with someone else. I and everyone else can interpret your message. No one besides you mentioned going overboard with protein, therefore it is clear that you think 150g is acceptable for a 200lb man. But based on how poorly you communicate I guess it is possible that you meant the exact opposite of what you wrote. [/quote]

Be easy on 'em. He’s only been lifting for “A day”.

His fragile little ego is still… well, fragile.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
The1andOnly wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
The1andOnly wrote:

But from what I can gather it seems as if you are just being nit picky with semantics. Say what you want, but you don’t need to explicitly state something for people to infer exactly what you mean. If you are going to pull that “show me where I said [random bit that is obviously implied in the post by not stated directly]” bullshit, do it with someone else. I and everyone else can interpret your message. No one besides you mentioned going overboard with protein, therefore it is clear that you think 150g is acceptable for a 200lb man. But based on how poorly you communicate I guess it is possible that you meant the exact opposite of what you wrote. [/quote]

Haha, I didn’t imply anything of the sort my friend. Your obviously jumping the boat, how can you in any way try and interpret what I was thinking. You are very guilty of making assumptions. And please just because one of my sentence’s was very poorly set out don’t try the whole i’m cleverer than you, I admit my writing lacks structure. but I assure you know I I’m a very clever person. Just because I assumed you and the others said eat an unnecessary amount of protein and I said you don’t need too, you don’t have to attack me. God forbid if this is how you speak in person.

BONEZ217 wrote:
The1andOnly wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
The1andOnly wrote:

But from what I can gather it seems as if you are just being nit picky with semantics. Say what you want, but you don’t need to explicitly state something for people to infer exactly what you mean. If you are going to pull that “show me where I said [random bit that is obviously implied in the post by not stated directly]” bullshit, do it with someone else. I and everyone else can interpret your message. No one besides you mentioned going overboard with protein, therefore it is clear that you think 150g is acceptable for a 200lb man. But based on how poorly you communicate I guess it is possible that you meant the exact opposite of what you wrote.

Haha, I didn’t imply anything of the sort my friend. Your obviously jumping the boat, how can you in any way try and interpret what I was thinking. You are very guilty of making assumptions. And please just because one of my sentence’s was very poorly set out don’t try the whole i’m cleverer than you, I admit my writing lacks structure. but I assure you know I I’m a very clever person. Just because I assumed you and the others said eat an unnecessary amount of protein and I said you don’t need too, you don’t have to attack me. God forbid if this is how you speak in person.
[/quote]

Yea you’re real clever.

And don’t worry about how I speak in person. It’s none of your concern and has nothing to do with this thread. You’re a little punk who thinks he’s cool by posting in threads he has no business giving advice in.

Go google another video of Kai Greene stripping and have fun with it. Just don’t post it here for the third time.

Haha suckers.