Cut Cals. Building Muscle?

is it even possible to build a lil muscle while i am cutting my calories? thanks for any answers

I would say yes.

It depends on how much you cut your calories and your macro split. Also dependent on how you train.

-chris

Matter cannot be created nor destroyed. Only transferred. Catch my drift?

If you are relatively new to resistance training, it is absolutely possible, as long as you don’t cut too much (caloric deficit not higher than ~500kcal / day) or for too long.

If you have been training for some time and not ‘helping’ with enhancing chemicals, it becomes close to impossible to completely avoid loss of muscle mass, although you can minimize the LBM loss with proper diet/training during the cutting phase.

I am not an expert but I think that it can be done IF you have fat storage…
because if you do ,the extra calories needed are taken from your own fat and you can still put on some lean mass.

[quote]Petrichor wrote:
If you are relatively new to resistance training, it is absolutely possible, as long as you don’t cut too much (caloric deficit not higher than ~500kcal / day) or for too long.

If you have been training for some time and not ‘helping’ with enhancing chemicals, it becomes close to impossible to completely avoid loss of muscle mass, although you can minimize the LBM loss with proper diet/training during the cutting phase.[/quote]

Generally agree. The more of a noob you are the more likely it is that you can loose fat and gain muscular size at the same time.

Definitely harder to do that when you are a trained bodybuilder – you almost always loose some muscle when dieting but you can minimize the loss with proper nutrition and correct macronutrient ratios.

[quote]Babalu wrote:
is it even possible to build a lil muscle while i am cutting my calories? thanks for any answers

Babalu also previously wrote:

I also do not lift weights and have no interest in them as i like plyos, so i dont need info on building muscle…thanx[/quote]

Hmmm. Contradiction.

Oh, well, here’s my advice, which covers ground more than perhaps this thread intended, but so be it. There’s still hope for you, Babalu, but you must act now.

Eat lots of protein. 200 grams a day for your bodyweight would be about right, split up into five servings of 40g each. Your body will assimilate it.

Lift weights. High-intensity kettlebell drills are probably better than plyometrics.

Have sex with lots and lots of Asian chicks, and try to refrain from bragging about how much stronger you are than they, and women in general.

Stop playing the tough guy. Someday somebody tougher will kill you.

Hope this helps.

possible but don’t make it your modus operati. I hope i said that right, and if anyone knows what i meant to say, plz correct me. You will not effectively build muscle on a caloric deficit and you will just stagnate in your mediocrity. either bulk or cut, don’t try to straddle the line on both.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
possible but don’t make it your modus operati. I hope i said that right, and if anyone knows what i meant to say, plz correct me. You will not effectively build muscle on a caloric deficit and you will just stagnate in your mediocrity. either bulk or cut, don’t try to straddle the line on both.[/quote]

Agreed. Most of the posts in this thread seem to be missing the small fact that most of the people who even ask this question are asking it because they think they will somehow get completely “ripped” while also gaining inches on their arms or chest. That isn’t likely.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
That One Guy wrote:
possible but don’t make it your modus operati. I hope i said that right, and if anyone knows what i meant to say, plz correct me. You will not effectively build muscle on a caloric deficit and you will just stagnate in your mediocrity. either bulk or cut, don’t try to straddle the line on both.

Agreed. Most of the posts in this thread seem to be missing the small fact that most of the people who even ask this question are asking it because they think they will somehow get completely “ripped” while also gaining inches on their arms or chest. That isn’t likely.[/quote]

Or, as Eric Cressey memorably put it, “you can’t ride two horses at the same time with one ass”.

[quote]sharetrader wrote:
Or, as Eric Cressey memorably put it, “you can’t ride two horses at the same time with one ass”.[/quote]

You can, but it’s a half-assed way to ride.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
sharetrader wrote:
Or, as Eric Cressey memorably put it, “you can’t ride two horses at the same time with one ass”.

You can, but it’s a half-assed way to ride.[/quote]

well said

I am going to have to disagree with most of the posts in this thread. While the term “cutting calories” leaves for a loose interpretation, I will continue as if you mean cut fat, and build muscle.

You can lose fat and build muscle at a decent rate given the right circumstances; diet, training, rest all need to be on point.

Where are before and after pics of people who have done this? Really, I would like to see them.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Where are before and after pics of people who have done this? Really, I would like to see them.[/quote]

I doubt there is even one person here who can claim that they got extremely muscular while on a caloric deficit and while losing a significant amount of body fat all at the same time…at least none that would show proof of this. (for the dummies, that does not mean someone who was obese and dieted down)

This discussion gets thrown into the arms of “theory” every single time it comes up and all that does is confuse beginners.

No one is saying it is impossible to lose some amount of body fat while gaining some amount of muscle mass. What is being said is that it is unlikely that anyone is about to jump into bodybuilding and get huge and ripped all at the same time unless significant drug use is involved.

Telling newbies to actually approach training this way is ridiculous and maybe just a bit irresponsible.

If you want to make significant progress, focus on one goal at a time. If you want to half ass your way through the next 10 years while making much less progress than you could have, then try pulling your body in two directions.

Most of the people who do this will look the same or worse years from now.

I remember when HOT-ROX first came out and Biotest had the body transformation competition. One of the contestants lost 10lbs of fat and put on 10lbs of muscle, I believe he was the only person to weigh more after he was done. I think that was over a 12 week period?

That being said it is DAMN hard to do so. Better off doing 1 then the other. Which one you do first depends on your body fat levels.