T Nation

Cut Calories or Increase Cardio?

I am currently cutting and have around 15 lbs to lose. I am consuming around 1800 calories per day and am currently 186 lbs.

I am eating clean and adhering to the diet for 6 days a week perfectly. My diet is low carb. I get in around 50 grams of carbs a day and make up the rest with protein and fats.

I am having a cheat day every saturday. Admittidly I do tend to over eat on Saturdays.

I am taking HOT-ROX 2 times per day and I consume 4 or 5 cups of green tea per day. I take BCAAs around all workouts.

In terms of training I am doing the Waterbury Summer Project. This involves weights 3 times per week and 3 HIIT sessions per week. I also get up every morning and go for a 30 minute walk.

Despite all of the above my fat loss has completely stalled over the past few weeks. I am considering the following options:

  1. Cut calories even further. They are just under 10 x bodyweight at the moment. This is really the least appealing to me, but I am willing to do this, if it is what it takes.

  2. Increase the duration of my morning walks from 30 mins to 1 hour.

  3. Turn my morning walks into morning, low intensity runs.

  4. Change my cheat day into a cheat meal. This is something that I am definitely going to do. I may even drop the cheat day/meal completely.

What are the thoughts of you guys?

How long have you been at 1800 cals? How many cals/carbs are you eating on your cheat day? You mention that you’ve stalled…how much progress have you made?

i would cut the cheat day first and foremost.

and depending on your definition of cheat meal, maybe make it a better “cheat” than eating just junk.

have you been changing up your HIIT routine?

1800 calories a day + 3 weekly weight sessions + 3 weekly hiit sessions + 30 min daily walk + HOT-ROX twice daily?

and your weight loss progress has stalled at 186?

i would look like a starving ethiopian child after all that shit.

HIIT routine changes every day as per the program.

My fat loss is rate is slow, it is around 0.5 lbs every 2 weeks.

I am consuming a shit load of calories and carbs on my cheat day. I am going to replace it with a cheat meal. If this doesn’t speed up my fat loss, I will drop the cheat meal as well.

If you’re deciding between exercising more or eating less, well, that’s not much of a decision really.

I’m with ktennies, that sounds like a lot of stuff. Maybe overtraining? How is your strength doing? Have you been increasing/decreasing? How much have you lost total on this diet? And how long have you been on it? Are you spacing your meals out? Drinking lots of water? (1 gallon 40 degree water burns 123 calories!)

Going from walking to running will burn what, 50 extra calories a day? Doesn’t seem worth it to me.

You could cut the cheat day/meal altogether and go into a strict low-carb diet (a la Atkins). Get some keto strips and make sure you stay in in the purple.

Doing all that stuff it really doesn’t make sense that you’re not losing weight. The only thing I can think of is that the combination of low calories and tons of training have forced your body into a starvation type state where your metabolism is super low.

I do not envy you! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
-J

[quote]jpuck wrote:
I’m with ktennies, that sounds like a lot of stuff. Maybe overtraining? How is your strength doing? Have you been increasing/decreasing? How much have you lost total on this diet? And how long have you been on it? Are you spacing your meals out? Drinking lots of water? (1 gallon 40 degree water burns 123 calories!)

Going from walking to running will burn what, 50 extra calories a day? Doesn’t seem worth it to me.

You could cut the cheat day/meal altogether and go into a strict low-carb diet (a la Atkins). Get some keto strips and make sure you stay in in the purple.

Doing all that stuff it really doesn’t make sense that you’re not losing weight. The only thing I can think of is that the combination of low calories and tons of training have forced your body into a starvation type state where your metabolism is super low.

I do not envy you! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
-J[/quote]

My strength is fine. Its taken me around 10 weeks to lose 10 lbs. Which is around 1 lb per week on average. Its just slowed down a hell of a lot after the initial loss. I have at least another 10 lbs to go.

With regards to my diet, I am doing everything perfectly:

  • 6-7 meals per dat
  • Carbs around workouts
  • Plenty of water and fibre
  • Meat and veg make up pretty much all my meals

I have decided not change my training routine and simply replace the cheat day with a cheat meal. This is in fact going to be tomorrow, so by 2 weeks, I should be able to see the results of this change. If this does not give me a fat loss boost, I will reassess my situation and consider completely dropping the “cheat” parts of my diet.

Have you thought about training less, or increasing your calories?

It looks like you are overtraining considering how many calories you are on.

Check out your bmr. Dont go under it.

I would try doing more intense cardio instead of walking. This should help a lot.

A word of caution though: I find that after an intense bout of cardio work, I become more hungry that evening than if I did just intense weight training. So just watch out to not overeat unhealthy food on these days, as cardio exercise might stimulate your hunger more than anything.

[quote]Trapasaurus wrote:
Have you thought about training less, or increasing your calories?

It looks like you are overtraining considering how many calories you are on.

Check out your bmr. Dont go under it.

[/quote]

This is also something that I may consider doing. If dropping the cheats fails, I will increase my calorie intake and see what happens.

increase calories, increase cardio

You are 6’ 186#'s and you want to get to ~ 160?

How did you arrive at this target? What kind of BF% do you think you are?

As you get closer to your goal progress slows. I say stay the course for a little while longer and check to see if you are truly stalled or are just progressing slowly.

[quote]CantStop wrote:

I have decided not change my training routine and simply replace the cheat day with a cheat meal. This is in fact going to be tomorrow, so by 2 weeks, I should be able to see the results of this change. If this does not give me a fat loss boost, I will reassess my situation and consider completely dropping the “cheat” parts of my diet.

[/quote]

I should have read further. Good plan.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
You are 6’ 186#'s and you want to get to ~ 160?

How did you arrive at this target? What kind of BF% do you think you are?

As you get closer to your goal progress slows. I say stay the course for a little while longer and check to see if you are truly stalled or are just progressing slowly.[/quote]

My primary goal is to get to 10% BF. My Tanita scale tells me I am around 24% fat. I know that these scales are shit and no way do I believe I am at this body fat percentage. So I am basically cutting until I can clearly see my abs. I estimate this will be at 170 lbs. However, it may be at 175, I have no idea when my abs will say “hello”. I will stop cutting as soon as I can see my abs and then bulk.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
CantStop wrote:

I have decided not change my training routine and simply replace the cheat day with a cheat meal. This is in fact going to be tomorrow, so by 2 weeks, I should be able to see the results of this change. If this does not give me a fat loss boost, I will reassess my situation and consider completely dropping the “cheat” parts of my diet.

I should have read further. Good plan.[/quote]

Thanks! I hope it works!

Increase protein intake 200cals(50g)/day and switch to 40 mins low intensity (60% of HRmax) cardio (fasted) in the AM. At 1800 cals/day you’re taxing your body with the HIIT cardio and killing any chance of retaining muscle tissue. You’re overtraining right now.

Also, you will need to cycle off the HOT-ROX every two weeks or so. Your body will acclimate to them and they will have less effect. Instead of cycling off thermos completely, just change up to a Venom Hyperdrive or Dymatize DymaBurn Xtreme for two weeks, then cycle back onto HOT-ROX.

See attachment for my 12 week transformation using this cycling technique plus low intensity fasted cardio. This was an SGX program from SwoleCat about two years ago.


Attachment…

[quote]RPC wrote:
Increase protein intake 200cals(50g)/day and switch to 40 mins low intensity (60% of HRmax) cardio (fasted) in the AM. At 1800 cals/day you’re taxing your body with the HIIT cardio and killing any chance of retaining muscle tissue. You’re overtraining right now.

Also, you will need to cycle off the HOT-ROX every two weeks or so. Your body will acclimate to them and they will have less effect. Instead of cycling off thermos completely, just change up to a Venom Hyperdrive or Dymatize DymaBurn Xtreme for two weeks, then cycle back onto HOT-ROX.

See attachment for my 12 week transformation using this cycling technique plus low intensity fasted cardio. This was an SGX program from SwoleCat about two years ago.[/quote]

RPC that is very good advice re supplements. I will definitely cycle of the HOT-ROX in the near future. I do want to see how not having a cheat day will affect my fat loss first.

I do not think that I am losing muscle as my strength is okay and I am not losing much weight.

Your transformation is amazing. How much fat did you lose during the 12 weeks? What was your calorie intake per day?