T Nation

Custom Workout/Meal/Supplements

I’ve been out of the game for a long time, I used to work out as a hobby, but even as a hobby, I gained a little more muscle than what I wanted…

Now I’m looking at going back into it…I just have a few questions after reading the newbie stuff…

1. I looked at getting a lot of the MAP products, along with Hydroxy Cut Hardcore, and Anabolic Halo. I wouldn’t be using these until about 2-3 weeks just getting used to all of the weight again, anyone tried and done well with these products? What about multivitamins?

2. I don’t know WHAT to do about meal plans, all I know is protein, protein, protein. I don’t know about carbs, or fats, or where you get fats…etc, etc. Is there some website I can go to get a custom meal plan as well as pre-post workout plans?

3. Last, but not least…workout plan. I look at ALL these plans and I’m STUMPED about what I need to do to start out, I have no idea where to look or go…I want to mostly work on my midsection (getting rid of handles, starting to flatten stomach), and my upper body (bigger deltoids, bi’s and tri’s and forearms), and work in legs to further define calves and quads (size on quads would be nice too).

My back probably needs the most working on, so is there just a normal beginner’s “golden” routine to follow?

I would love to try and do all of this, but the thing is I work 5 days a week (8 hours a day) and go to school at night, then by the time homework and everything’s done…it’s like 9:00 at night. Do I need to start waking up SUPER early (6:00 in the morning), or just work out late…I just need a schedule.

I don’t expect anyone to go through an all out custom plan to try and cater to me or anything, I just want a website or things to look at so I can plan/pan all of this out, and know what to get. I’m willing to do the initial costly investment, as well as putting in the downtime to get the body I want.

Thank you all. Best of luck hitting the weights.

• Chris

Nevermind…I found everything I needed to, just hadn’t read up on all of the newbie/beginner stuff…Good luck all.

Welcome!

[quote]cldukes06 wrote:
I’ve been out of the game for a long time, I used to work out as a hobby, but even as a hobby, I gained a little more muscle than what I wanted…
[/quote]

I hope this mentality has changed a bit. If it’s still a hobby, no one is going to want to waste their time. Most importantly, you don’t have much time to waste. You serious about doing this?

I’d actually recommend the HOT-ROX here at the Biotest store. You can also pick it up at GNC. Multivitamins? I am wary of a pill that claims to have every vitamin I need in it. Personally, not for me.

So many articles and web resources available on this subject. I must have ready 82 hours worth of text on this very subject. Never ever, ever… EVER let anyone lay out your diet for you.

Do a bit of research, pick the foods you like, add em up, tweak from there. As for macronutrients, there are many camps on the proper ratio. After a bit of research, you’ll discover the logical breakdowns to achieve your goals.

You mentioned when you casually lifted as a hobby, you got better results than you even wanted. I would uh, do what you were doing. Otherwise, read through all of the beginner stickies.

So, fat loss, and lean muscle gain? Sounds good. Current height, weight, age?

Yes. Beginners are blessed with initial percentage gains that will be hard to replicate. Take advantage of this. The golden routine is:
Eat RIGHT.
Lift fucking HARD.
Lift OFTEN.

Seriously that simple.

I found that physical improvement ushered in a whole new mental improvement phase that has so far really transformed every aspect of my life. If you are really serious about going to war, then bring as much ammunition as you’ll need.

Wake up super early. If you are done with everything at 9:00, be in bed by 10:00, wake up at 6:00 sharp, and put on your warpaint.

Hey, I know I’ll get BLASTED for this, but damn, if motivation is an issue, drink some form of preworkout NO drink. I preferred superpump 250. Really lit me up.

Now, the thought of strengthening muscle fibers in the morning is enough to wake me up. You’ll adapt. Whatever you have to do to get to the gym. Hell, run around your neighborhood naked. Get fucking pumped.

Happen to have a friend that you can drag with you to the gym?

Welcome aboard, keep us updated on your education and execution.

Thanks dude…btw, LOVE your d/p, funny as hell.

As for the supplements, I went into a GMC, and that’s what he recommended for me as an initial startout after I been busting weights for about a week or so…

When I first lifted…I just was kind of messin’ around…but after two weeks, I noticed I became stronger (physicality didn’t change all that much)…but now as you said, I want the physical improvement, I want the change, and I want the transformation. Now I’m willing to do what it takes, and like you said, I’m willing to go to war.

Height: 6’4"
Weight: 265-270 lb. (I think I’m at the right size, maybe just about 25-30 in fat loss, while gaining lean muscle, since I’m built very lean). I don’t even want to trim that much fat, I just want to turn it into something rock hard…know what I mean?

And unfortunately, I don’t have a friend I can drag with me, not here at least.

And as far as the workout routines go, I’m just confused about all of the names and forms…but I think with a bit of reading, I can do this.

And I use my school’s gym (which is GREAT), and I hope it’s open at 6:00 AM, because if it is, I’m down.

Any other info you need?

[quote]cldukes06 wrote:
When I first lifted…I just was kind of messin’ around…but after two weeks, I noticed I became stronger (physicality didn’t change all that much)…but now as you said, I want the physical improvement, I want the change, and I want the transformation. Now I’m willing to do what it takes, and like you said, I’m willing to go to war.
[/quote]

Awesome. Don’t worry about the asthetics right now. As your lifts increase, your muscle fibers thicken. When your muscle fibers thicken, skin gets stretched, veins become more pronounced as they are pushed, and yes, Mass Happens.

Yep, I know what you mean. Make no mistake though, fat is not transformed into muscle. At one point or another, you’re going to have to lose that weight. Since you’re just getting started, you can build while losing weight. Fairly easily if you stick with a proper diet and workouts.

Psh. I wish I would have done this when I was 20… You have everything lined up for you right now, especially your age. Don’t squander it like I did.

Yep. See a lift you’ve never heard of? Google that shit. Figure out which muscle groups are being targetted. Start a thread here about proper form and variations. Even if you don’t implement it into your routine, you’re just adding to your education. That all being said though, for now, the program you pick will consist of fairly basic exercises. I used Starting Strength for a while.

I’m sure it is. Unless your coach is an obese alcoholic. If that’s the case, bribe him to open early with a bottle of scotch and some fried chicken.

The reason I lurk this site is because it really does have all of the answers. Either in article form, forum form, or through PM’s with the coaches / hardcore members. A really GREAT tool on this site I have used is the Training Log section of the forum. People will outline their complete workouts, diets, etc there, so you can use that information to help you with yours.

Once you get a good routine/diet in place, post it up and ask for advice. You’ll find a ton of people willing to help you with the more technical stuff if you show them you are willing to do a little homework first.

Best of luck. Welcome to the front lines.