Custom Shakes

Question:
Does anyone have good ideas for custom protein and/or carb shakes? I feel like I can get a lot more calories with much greater efficiency if I can just drink them instead of cooking and chewing. A couple of good protein shakes and maybe a carb (veggies) shake made of real food would be great. I’m hoping for a daily macro breakdown of 40%P, 30%C, 30%F.

I currently drink a breakfast shake with oatmeal, eggs, peanut butter, yogurt, cottage cheese, whey protein powder, milk, and a banana (~1000 calories). I drink a post workout shake of orange juice, peaches, whey protein powder and creatine (~500 calories). I find that making shakes out of real food is MUCH more convenient than eating everything separately. My other meals of the day include chicken and rice, beef and beans, tuna and pineapple, and then dinner, followed by cottage cheese and peanut butter at night. It should total about 5000 calories, but I’m having a problem heating and eating all my meals when I get busy during the day. My actual calories are probably much lower than the 5000 theoretical ones, and so I’m looking for a better way to get my cals in.

Additional info:
I’m currently 24 years old, 6’, 230 lbs, and have been lifting for a few years, but only the last couple years really trying bulk. Like a lot of people, I didn’t eat enough early on. I’ve come from about 180 to 230 in the last 2 years.

For the last couple months, I’ve been stuck at 230. I want to bulk to about 260 over the course of the next 1 - 1.5 years while bodybuilding-style training (higher rep ranges, compound and isolation work), hold my weight for about 6 months while focusing on strength (low rep ranges, basic barbell lifts) to solidify my gains, and then do a bodybuilding-style cut (3-4 months) down to a relatively lean 240 (10-15% bf). I’m really looking forward to starting pure strength training, but I feel the need to get my weight up with hypertrophy training first (although big and strong tend to go together, I know… I’m just saying).

It sounds like you’re on the right path. You’re breakfast shake is exactly the ingredients I’ll recommend to clients for gainer shakes. Some people do olive oil… I’d take PB or whole eggs over it anyday.

Thanks for that, I wasn’t sure if my shake was overkill or not. Do you recommend adding in another one or two of these during the day (same recipe/ingredients) or switch it up with different ingredients?

My breakfast shake is roughly 33%/33%/33% for macros. Maybe I could add in a couple scoops of whey with plain water to tweak my ratios closer to 40%P.

What kind of before bed shake would be good?

Seriously, I’m sick of chewing :slight_smile:

[quote]ryan456 wrote:
Thanks for that, I wasn’t sure if my shake was overkill or not. Do you recommend adding in another one or two of these during the day (same recipe/ingredients) or switch it up with different ingredients?

My breakfast shake is roughly 33%/33%/33% for macros. Maybe I could add in a couple scoops of whey with plain water to tweak my ratios closer to 40%P.

What kind of before bed shake would be good?

Seriously, I’m sick of chewing :)[/quote]

I’m a fan of chocolate casein, peanut butter and cottage cheese/greek yogurt before bed. You can freeze it, and if you aren’t too strict with your diet, add some whip and it’s fucking insane.

If you need the extra cals, by all mean add them between meals – or even preworkout. I find I’m ready to go an hour after a shake; opposed to 1.5-2 hrs with whole foods.

Use whatever macros you find works for you, when I bulk I’ve always given a slight preference to carbs over protein. Usually 30P/45C/25F, post contest I’ll mix things up a bit and see if other macro splits work as efficiently.