Curves for Women, Cuts for Men

[quote]Gregus wrote:
You guys have to look at it from a business perspective. There’s a huge market for this type of gym. There will be plenty of men that go there. Some will be gay, some will be old, some very short on time etc etc…Whatever kind of member they will get, they will get members and with low oprating costs make plenty of $$$.

You can’t look at everything with an egotistical macho perspective. I’ll bet many of you would be happy to own a curves franchaise. The local one we compete with had 1000 members paying $40.00 monthly. That’s 40,000 per month in revenue. Oprating expenses are under 10,000 monthly for a 1500 sq ft facility with 3 employees. making 30,000 monthly is pretty damn good to me and it’s my personal goal.

So who’s laughing now? Some want bigger muscles and get them, others make millions on simple concepts that most people easily grasp. Hey, to each their own.[/quote]

We are not laughing at the enterprising soul who would makes money by opening a Curves/Cuts facility. We are laughing at the skinny/fat people that are produced by participating in such a frivilous waist of time and money as belonging to one of these so called “gyms”. I understand the ammount of money that you can easily make by opening one in your community is akin to the money from opening up a Mcdonalds or Krispy Kreme. We, however, laugh at the people that frequent those places on a daily basis as well.

If it your dream to open a Curves then by god you should open a Curves. As a matter of fact, you should make it convenient for your clientell and open up a Curves, McDonalds and Krispy Kreme in the same midwestern strip mall. You will be a millionare in a week.

I would never pay money to join a gym that didnt have any women training in it. Although not many will admit it, part of the fun of working out is checking out the women…I guess that explains why they have womens only gyms though.

[quote]helga wrote:
I would never pay money to join a gym that didnt have any women training in it. Although not many will admit it, part of the fun of working out is checking out the women…I guess that explains why they have womens only gyms though.[/quote]

Curves is for the women nobody wants to look at.

I never thought I’d be saying this, but to each his own. America would be a better place if people had the goal of Brad Pitt rather than no goal at all.

[quote]Thai_Bxr wrote:
Gregus wrote:
You guys have to look at it from a business perspective. There’s a huge market for this type of gym. There will be plenty of men that go there. Some will be gay, some will be old, some very short on time etc etc…Whatever kind of member they will get, they will get members and with low oprating costs make plenty of $$$.

You can’t look at everything with an egotistical macho perspective. I’ll bet many of you would be happy to own a curves franchaise. The local one we compete with had 1000 members paying $40.00 monthly. That’s 40,000 per month in revenue. Oprating expenses are under 10,000 monthly for a 1500 sq ft facility with 3 employees. making 30,000 monthly is pretty damn good to me and it’s my personal goal.

So who’s laughing now? Some want bigger muscles and get them, others make millions on simple concepts that most people easily grasp. Hey, to each their own.

We are not laughing at the enterprising soul who would makes money by opening a Curves/Cuts facility. We are laughing at the skinny/fat people that are produced by participating in such a frivilous waist of time and money as belonging to one of these so called “gyms”. I understand the ammount of money that you can easily make by opening one in your community is akin to the money from opening up a Mcdonalds or Krispy Kreme. We, however, laugh at the people that frequent those places on a daily basis as well.

If it your dream to open a Curves then by god you should open a Curves. As a matter of fact, you should make it convenient for your clientell and open up a Curves, McDonalds and Krispy Kreme in the same midwestern strip mall. You will be a millionare in a week.

[/quote]

I hear what you’re saying. I’m just of the opinion that it’s a good way to get poeple that would never have lifted a finger to at least do something, as pathetic as it may be, it’s better then nothing.

[quote]helga wrote:
I would never pay money to join a gym that didnt have any women training in it. Although not many will admit it, part of the fun of working out is checking out the women…I guess that explains why they have womens only gyms though.[/quote]

So True my friend

Training in a gym without any woman and big sweaty men seems well kinda…GAY! Not that there is anything wrong with that :slight_smile:

Its weird,i see a hottie running on a treamill with big titties bouncing up and down and by gowd it just makes me pull oops i mean… lift that little bit harder :smiley:

Peace

K of K

[quote]etaco wrote:
Curves is for the women nobody wants to look at.[/quote]

That’s what i thought too. It’s true for alot of them due to age, obesity etc… But remember that ladies travel in packs and for the one unattracive one that joined curves, she’ll bring in her friends to join too. I was suprised at how many attractive women came out Curves.

[quote]Thai_Bxr wrote:
[/quote]
It’s funny you should mention that. There’s a little plaza next to my apartment with a Curves in it. Right next door is Dairy Queen, and beside that is Dunkin Donuts. That’s how you keep your clientele coming back for more!

I can’t wait until we get new members on here who want to argue with advice because it’s contrary to what their Cuts trainer taught them. That will AWESOME.

I hope they open one of those gyms in my town, then I can get “long lean muscles” just like the stars.

We had a curves in our local strip mall, i never seen anyone under 75 go in the place, it closed two months later and was replaced by a “we sell your shit on ebay” store. sorry, just had to throw that in there.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I figure it will get MUCH worse before it gets better. You can see it on this site. This is what many of these guys logging into this forum want to make this website.[/quote]

Reading through the responses to this thread you’re spot on. Maybe we need another forum like M-nation for metrosexuals.

The thought is good, but the reality of the gym business (at least based on my obsrvation 10+ years ago) is that gyms have a membership boom every January from people making resolutions to get in shape. So in Jan-Feb the gym is very crowded. But by April most people quit going leaving the facilities open for people who are more serious about fitness. But the people who don’t go continue to pay all year due to their 1-year contracts.

That’s just as well, because the quitters subsidize the folks who use the facilties all year, and the gym doesn’t need to spend the money to accomodate all of the the paying members. Having to stand around waiting to use equipment every January is the price to pay to keep fees affordable.

From a business perspective, Cuts for Men makes sense because the concept sounds good enough to get people to sign a annual contract, even concept sounds better than the application really is.

This is the same phenomon that keeps Bowflex in business, even though most of their units become expensive clothing hangers after six months.

[quote]MrTangerineSpedo wrote:
It’s funny you should mention that. There’s a little plaza next to my apartment with a Curves in it. Right next door is Dairy Queen, and beside that is Dunkin Donuts. That’s how you keep your clientele coming back for more![/quote]

This reminds me, a week ago my wife and I went to a small business mall (the type with airline offices, bookstores, real estate agents, etc.). At the end of one of the corridors there was a Weight Watchers, and 20 meters from it, on the way out of the mall (so you had to walk past it to leave), there was a Dunkin Donuts. How evil and ironic, huh? :slight_smile:

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
but you need to remember what kind of men this chain will target. [/quote]

Not that I have a problem with them, but I was thinking gay men actually.

Some wrote a post awhile back about some gym that had rules like, no grunting, no dropping weights ever and a non-judgemental enviroment. Can remember what it was called but it sounds like the same wussy concept.

i can see the business side of it. problem is, they become so easy to make money with that too many open up. curves was supposed to have a market of 30,000 people for each gym and so many opened that each market is 6,000 or less. also, more niche gyms are opening up. i found goingvertical.net which is supposed to be a sport specific franchise type thing with “agility training” similar to that dumbass dancing video game.

its good that it will get people to start doing something. i work at my dads gym and i have had a bunch of women say they did curves for a while and it no longer helps them or they no longer like it so they look for a better option. the same thing may happen with cuts. i dont know if that will happen for the reasons people have already mentioned, like guys are supposed to be so sensitive and not have muscles. its more attractive to be 6’0’’ 170 and look like brad pitt then to be 6’0’’ 210. i dont know how many pretty girls i have seen with guys that have the same shoulder width.

my girlfriend knows a guy that goes to her “chisel” class (an hour of aerobic weight training) and we saw him at a party. she thought she recognized him and told me about him attending the class. she wanted to ask him but i told her not to cuz i figured thats pretty embarrassing. 15 minutes later he comes up to her asking if she goes to his class and asks if she is going tomorrow morning. i was amazed.

seems like manhood is going down the drain and its not gonna stop.

Who’s saying men should be sensitive and not have muscles?

I know that about 25 years ago, the media proclaimed that women supposedly wanted sensitive Alan Alda-type men, but frankly I haven’t heard that recently.

[quote]dancar wrote:
Who’s saying men should be sensitive and not have muscles?

I know that about 25 years ago, the media proclaimed that women supposedly wanted sensitive Alan Alda-type men, but frankly I haven’t heard that recently.

[/quote]

Start here:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=945459

There are a number of other studies like this if you do an internet search.

There was a woman on here a couple of months ago that worked at a curves. If I remember right she got fired because she talked some of the women into using heavier weights and the were actually making progress.
Frankly, I don’t see a problem with a gym like this for noobs. If they feel intimidated by a regular gym and they go, what’s so bad about that? It’s not like once you join a place, you have to stay there forever. You could actually join a place like this, and then find out you actually like lifting, then go out and join a real gym. I actually would prefer to see noobs join a gym like this to get some experience. That way i don’t have to deal with them.

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
Some wrote a post awhile back about some gym that had rules like, no grunting, no dropping weights ever and a non-judgemental enviroment. Can remember what it was called but it sounds like the same wussy concept.[/quote]

It is called Planet Fitness. After working out for 12 years at New England Women’s Gym, I recently started working out with my boyfriend at PF. No, I don’t go to a women’s only gym because no one wants to see me, and I certainly don’t go to check out women. I go because I generally have the entire place to myself. It is owned by Ted Arcidi, a former weightlifting champion, and, I might add, a normal, nice guy.

Planet fitness has a big alarm/blue light mounted on the wall with a sign indicating the alarm will go off at the slightest grunt, weight clang or insincere judgement perpetrated by any of the members while on the floor. I want to see that thing go off, damn it. We have been trying our hardest, to no avail.

Regarding women’s only vs. mixed gyms. This is my first experience seeing men work out. I had to look away to control my laughter. Women never, I repeat, never sit on a machine and spend their rest minutes ogling themselves in the mirror. These morons looked like parakeets in front of a pet store toy. Also, and I may be in the minority of women on this one, I don’t care to be checked out by anyone, male or female. Particularly when sweating my ass off, and making funny faces. Doing a good morning, however, with my boyfriend directly behind me, that’s another story…

[quote]Thai_Bxr wrote:
We are not laughing at the enterprising soul who would makes money by opening a Curves/Cuts facility. We are laughing at the skinny/fat people that are produced by participating in such a frivilous waist of time and money as belonging to one of these so called “gyms”.
[/quote]

And laughing at the hourly staff at such a place. Who here can name one skilled trainer who’d proudly work at Curves/Cuts?

Sadly, it just doesn’t seem that the clientele at Cuts will receive very constructive guidance. They’ll likely be spinning their wheels … commited and feeling like they’re being productive, only to see little improvements. This seems to be the case with Curves. Hell, it seems to be the case at a lot of facilities.