Curves for Women, Cuts for Men

Apparently, there is now a Cuts for Men that is based on the Curves for Women model:

My guess is that you will not find too many T-men at this place but I suppose it’s better than not being in the gym at all. What do you think?

I think it’s an “ok” concept, not great though. I think the lack of free weights is going to hamper progress for some of these guys. I like the idea of no chicks around, limits the douchebags who “hang out” on the equipment to show off and not work out.

All in all it’s better than nothing though. I would much rather pay for a variety of services vs. a stripped down model with machines only.

~V

[quote]squatdude wrote:
Apparently, there is now a Cuts for Men that is based on the Curves for Women model:

My guess is that you will not find too many T-men at this place but I suppose it’s better than not being in the gym at all. What do you think?[/quote]

I think you are wrong. There seem to be a growing number of people on this site who feel right at home at that gym and would love it if this place catered to them much more.

from the article:

?The product that our members find attractive is a quick, effective workout in a comfortable environment. There are no ?muscle heads? in our gyms and it?s very relationship-oriented"

my gym’s got a few ‘muscle heads’ in it and they’re the most friendly and relationship oriented of the bunch. its the effete morons who don’t bother to learn how to do anything and provide comedic relief for the rest of us who generally come off as standoffish.

so, in short, i’m hoping for a Cuts to open down the street from my gym as soon as possible - by tomorrow if feasible.

I read that this morning. I almost wept.

Then, it hit me that it is better than not working out. Plus, it could keep them out of the way of the guys that really want to use the weights.

My biggest fear, most gyms will go this route leaving less places for t-men to go.

Although I see the point, it is also another prime example of the “Pussyfication of America”.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/f/f/fff4c-B0000541WK.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_[1].jpg

From the article:
?People my age don?t want big muscles,? said Naugin, who promptly joined the flagship Cuts when his wife discovered it in nearby Clark. ?We want to come in quick, and get back home before the wife yells at you.?

WTF. If this is what men in this country have become then just get an estrogen patch and pop this in the DVD.

[quote]Wodanson wrote:
From the article:
?People my age don?t want big muscles,? said Naugin, who promptly joined the flagship Cuts when his wife discovered it in nearby Clark. ?We want to come in quick, and get back home before the wife yells at you.?

WTF. If this is what men in this country have become then just get an estrogen patch and pop this in the DVD.[/quote]

I figure it will get MUCH worse before it gets better. You can see it on this site. This is what many of these guys logging into this forum want to make this website.

I guess it depends on what one’s goals are. I’m not sure anyone needs to join a gym is all they want to do is lose 20-30 pounds. I lost 25 pounds last year doing nothing more than eating smaller meals and riding my bike to work twice a week, plus a longer ride on weekends.

As for the lack of “muscle-heads,” when I was a gym member years ago, I found the muscleheads intimidating and didn’t talk to them much. One of the things that surprised me about this forum are the supportive replies given to guys who describe themselves as 5"11" and 140 pounds (as a skinny 5’11" adult I’ve been the 160-170 range). I’ve also seen pictures posted in the beginers section of guys I would not trade physiques with and you “muscleheads” are for the most part supportive.

Back in the day I should have talked to the “muscleheads.” They would have told me to eat twice as much, and maybe I would have become one of them.

[/quote]
Back in the day I should have talked to the “muscleheads.” They would have told me to eat twice as much, and maybe I would have become one of them.[/quote]

My experience is the posers and wannabees are the real assholes in the gym. The guys with 13 inch arms who spend their gym time dressed in Everlast workout gear, doing curls with 15 pound dumbells while checking out women. Even saw one guy throwing water on himself in the men’s room to make it look like he’d been working hard and sweating on the gym floor. These are generally the dickheads who think they know it all, and feel compelled to share their vast store of “knowledge” with you - unsolicited of course.

There are occasional assholes among the big guys, but generally they are the most willing to share information and help IF you’re willing to listen and use what they share. Too often I see people ask them for info then blow off what they’re told then get bent when the guy won’t try and help the next time they ask.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Wodanson wrote:
From the article:

WTF. If this is what men in this country have become then just get an estrogen patch and pop this in the DVD.

I figure it will get MUCH worse before it gets better. You can see it on this site. This is what many of these guys logging into this forum want to make this website.[/quote]

Yeah, it seems to go to larger issues about what men are supposed to be now. Apparently we’re all supposed to be sensitive metrosexuals who aren’t too strong, too big, or too aggressive. Working out is okay as long as we’re “toning” and “shaping” (whatever the hell that means). But being big, rugged, and strong seems to scare people. You’re right, it probably will get worse before it gets better.

I see a general trend among gyms opening these days. There seem to be more of these prissy gyms opening up that go after the people who don’t want “rough hands from lifting weights”, so where does that leave us serious lifters?

Many of us seem to be training at home, but more recently I have seen a rise in powerlifting gyms, and things similar. Several powerlifting gyms have opened by me, and even more gyms that center around free weights.
It seems that the gym world is getting more specialized and going after the needs of a specific group. This could be a very good thing for us serious lifters as it will take away the foo foo lifters and give us better places to workout.

the only thing i like about my gym is the fact that im bigger than 90% of the guys that go in there to lift. and the guys that are bigger than me are just much leaner than i am. we only have a couple really big hard core dudes and one powerlifting champ. once anda while some pro boxxers come in to train there, probably to check ou all the hot women lol. ive never seen so many hot women in my life then at my gym.

butyeah i wouldnt join a powerlifting gym right now. why? im a fat tub of shit and weak to boot. there is no way i would go join a serious powerlifting gym in this state and drag it thru the mud :frowning:

i don’t know much about the ‘cuts’ gym for men, but you need to remember what kind of men this chain will target. it says right on the fox news link that this gym is targeting ‘shy guys’, and i’m sure those of us in here who’ve been training for a long time and seen a lot of gym culture know what this means.

i’m skeptical about the quality of knowledge that will be provided to these newbie guys from the ‘cuts’ trainers… but at the end of the day, if this chain of gyms gets lazy dudes off their asses and into the gym to improve their lives, it’s a step in the right direction.

we all started somewhere, and i know i was far from an expert for a long time after my very first workout.

but from what i can tell, ‘cuts’ is not for those of us who are serious, knowledgeable, experienced, and jacked up.

[quote]From the article:
?People my age don?t want big muscles,? said Naugin…
[/quote]

That seems to be an important concern. People don’t want big muscles. The sad part is, I do. And it isn’t happening nearly as fast as I want.

I see this all the time. It’s like inflation. I’m training hard for strength and mass, and it’s working. But oh so slowly. In the mean time, others are curling the girlie weights and are worried about becoming hughe.

I ride my bike. My average speed is something like 28km/h and all the people I overtake claim to ride 30km/h.

WTF ! ! !

You guys have to look at it from a business perspective. There’s a huge market for this type of gym. There will be plenty of men that go there. Some will be gay, some will be old, some very short on time etc etc…Whatever kind of member they will get, they will get members and with low oprating costs make plenty of $$$.

You can’t look at everything with an egotistical macho perspective. I’ll bet many of you would be happy to own a curves franchaise. The local one we compete with had 1000 members paying $40.00 monthly. That’s 40,000 per month in revenue. Oprating expenses are under 10,000 monthly for a 1500 sq ft facility with 3 employees. making 30,000 monthly is pretty damn good to me and it’s my personal goal.

So who’s laughing now? Some want bigger muscles and get them, others make millions on simple concepts that most people easily grasp. Hey, to each their own.

You know what…it’s better than another burger chain. Anything that makes a healthy fit lifestyle available for the masses can’t be all bad. Instead of focusing on the pusification look at another step towards getting in shape. My prediction is that cuts will eventually “graduate” guys into mainstream gyms and you’ll get alot of older retired guys going to cuts.

This is the difference between people who work out to lose fat ONLY vs working out to gain muscle and strength.

Getting “Cut” is all relative.

[quote]DominicanDL wrote:
You know what…it’s better than another burger chain. Anything that makes a healthy fit lifestyle available for the masses can’t be all bad. Instead of focusing on the pusification look at another step towards getting in shape. My prediction is that cuts will eventually “graduate” guys into mainstream gyms and you’ll get alot of older retired guys going to cuts.[/quote]

Right on, That’s exactly what curves does for the gym business. Once a person is introduced to fitness, there is a natural progression to learn and expand. Plenty of their members then look at full service fitness centers like ours once their membership is up.

In reality how can any business that gets people off the couch be bad?

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
This is the difference between people who work out to lose fat ONLY vs working out to gain muscle and strength.

Getting “Cut” is all relative. [/quote]

Yeah, true. At least most people nowadays seem to realize that lifting is something they should be doing even if all they’re after is leaness. i think it’s a step in the right direction.