Curt Schilling

[quote]Stiles55 wrote:

I agree with you whole heartedly (especially with your comment on BANDWAGON FANS) If you aren’t originally from the Northeast its hard to believe guys nowadays (Revere, Mass is my hometown)…

[/quote]

I’ll third all of this. Brunswick, Maine here.

[quote]Stiles55 wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
swordthrower wrote:

Oh and by the way, I still respect the hell out of Roger Clemens (who left because Dan Duquette was a complete douchebag), and harbor no ill will towards Wade Boggs, or any other ex-Sox players (except J.D. of course, that was just too much to take…).

Why the hate for Damon? He came in as a free agent and left as one. Boston had their chance and they refused to come close to paying him.

Blame management, not Damon.

Incorrect we offered him 4 years at 11 million per(approx) he took 5 years at 10 per… He left over 6 million (I know “half empty, half full” but that is coming close now…
[/quote]

I thought it was more than that.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Stiles55 wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
swordthrower wrote:

Oh and by the way, I still respect the hell out of Roger Clemens (who left because Dan Duquette was a complete douchebag), and harbor no ill will towards Wade Boggs, or any other ex-Sox players (except J.D. of course, that was just too much to take…).

Why the hate for Damon? He came in as a free agent and left as one. Boston had their chance and they refused to come close to paying him.

Incorrect we offered him 4 years at 11 million per(approx) he took 5 years at 10 per… He left over 6 million (I know “half empty, half full” but that is coming close now…

I thought it was more than that.[/quote]

That is why it hurt so bad…

And whoever doesn’t believe Red Sox fans aren’t one of the most savvy fans in the league need to actually talk to a Sox fan. I can talk to you about minor league players and their impact, why we choose to not let Manny go and why we traded our All Star Second Baseman last year. I can also tell you more about your team and their farm teams than you do.

See, Sox fans had this extra advantage by losing all those years… We looked ahead, we said “NEXT YEAR” and because of that we looked at the following year, what we had, what other teams had, what we needed, what we could trade for what we needed… Its similar with the Yankees (sans their Bandwagon fans).

See, the Yankees have won so much (because they pick up all the best in the league – See payroll) they know about all the other teams and strategize. That’s what makes the rivalry so great. It isn’t just the history and the game I challenge you to sit down with two fans, one a Yankee and the other a Red Sox, you will experience one of the greatest baseball talks you could ever have.

[quote]coachese wrote:
swordthrower wrote:
I’ve been a Sox fan since I was old enough to walk, and I would have to say (at least as far as the lifelong fans are concerned), that Sox fans are some of the more learned and baseball-savvy fans in baseball.

No they are not. The most myopic fans, yes. Baseball-savvy, no.

[/quote]

St Louis fans are the most classy, and most knowledgable.

[quote]Stiles55 wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Stiles55 wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
swordthrower wrote:

And whoever doesn’t believe Red Sox fans aren’t one of the most savvy fans in the league need to actually talk to a Sox fan. I can talk to you about minor league players and their impact, why we choose to not let Manny go and why we traded our All Star Second Baseman last year. I can also tell you more about your team and their farm teams than you do.

See, Sox fans had this extra advantage by losing all those years… We looked ahead, we said “NEXT YEAR” and because of that we looked at the following year, what we had, what other teams had, what we needed, what we could trade for what we needed… Its similar with the Yankees (sans their Bandwagon fans). [/quote]

Oh, so they have a monopoly for failed years? Clueless, you are.

[quote]See, the Yankees have won so much (because they pick up all the best in the league – See payroll) they know about all the other teams and strategize. That’s what makes the rivalry so great. It isn’t just the history and the game I challenge you to sit down with two fans, one a Yankee and the other a Red Sox, you will experience one of the greatest baseball talks you could ever have.
[/quote]
Sorry to inform you, but there’s a whole league out there. Outside the New England corridor, no one give two shits about either of those teams. Talk to someone from Atlanta, Do you think they’ll talk of either of those teams? No. They’ll talk of Bobby Cox. LA, they’ll talk of two teams. Same in Chicago.

The drama between your two teams is overrated and hardly interesting. Out here, Giants vs Dodgers (ack, NL) is big news. Big, big, big. And I’ve never seen a fan throw a punch at a player out here. Where did I see that? Hmm…

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Stiles55 wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
swordthrower wrote:

I thought it was more than that.[/quote]

who the fuck cares ? it doesn’t matter who’s fault it is. being a baseball fan is about pure partisanship and i’m proud to belong to the worst fans on earth. damon’s a fucking rat and will be so long as he’s a spankee. being a part of the '04 team goes along way but i won’t cut him any slack so long as he’s in stripes.

[quote]swivel wrote:
who the fuck cares ? it doesn’t matter who’s fault it is. being a baseball fan is about pure partisanship and i’m proud to belong to the worst fans on earth. damon’s a fucking rat and will be so long as he’s a spankee. being a part of the '04 team goes along way but i won’t cut him any slack so long as he’s in stripes.[/quote]

LOL. Exactly. Baseball is partisan, hence my contempt for the carmines and all the rest. I look forward to seeing my team beat all ‘yous guys.’

[quote]kroby wrote:
Stiles55 wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Stiles55 wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
swordthrower wrote:

See, Sox fans had this extra advantage by losing all those years… We looked ahead, we said “NEXT YEAR” and because of that we looked at the following year, what we had, what other teams had, what we needed, what we could trade for what we needed… Its similar with the Yankees (sans their Bandwagon fans).

Oh, so they have a monopoly for failed years? Clueless, you are.

See, the Yankees have won so much (because they pick up all the best in the league – See payroll) they know about all the other teams and strategize. That’s what makes the rivalry so great. It isn’t just the history and the game I challenge you to sit down with two fans, one a Yankee and the other a Red Sox, you will experience one of the greatest baseball talks you could ever have.

Sorry to inform you, but there’s a whole league out there. Outside the New England corridor, no one give two shits about either of those teams. Talk to someone from Atlanta, Do you think they’ll talk of either of those teams? No. They’ll talk of Bobby Cox. LA, they’ll talk of two teams. Same in Chicago.

The drama between your two teams is overrated and hardly interesting. Out here, Giants vs Dodgers (ack, NL) is big news. Big, big, big. And I’ve never seen a fan throw a punch at a player out here. Where did I see that? Hmm…[/quote]

Drama is overrated yet the best ratings in sports are when they play each other…

ATLANTA? Honestly, worst baseball city with the BEST baseball, even fans will tell you they have horrible followings… They’re a football state, the Georgia Bulldogs and the Atlanta Falcons are all anyone cares about there…

St. Louis has Great fans…

This argument is over… Strictly because you are insinuating that the NL is a better league than the AL… Now I realize why you said all those traded went NL… You are a NL fan, which means you appreciate mediocre pitching and home runs…

And don’t say a word about the Cardinals winnning last year, they have the best Manager in the game and they played the Detroit Tigers, and team that hadn’t won a playoff series or game in YEARS… They got there and clearly didn’t know what to do with it…

I want to take a slightly different wrinkle here on a point that has always annoyed me. I want to preface this with the fact that I have also made this same comment in the past, but I catch myself now before I do it.

What exactly is the criteria for “smartest fans in baseball”? Seriously. It has become such a throwaway line for announcers across MLB and they will use it to describe fans in St. Louis, New York, Boston, etc. Now, classy I can see - you are not punks or idiots to the other team and can even recognize the greatness of opposing players. No problems there.

Most passionate fans is something you can at least attempt to observe and gauge. People cheering throughout the game, even when down. Fans who do not leave games early.

But most knowledgeable? What in the world is anyone basing that on? I really do not imagine Tim McCarver (who gets on my nerves like few others) have a chat with Joe Six Pack about his views on when to attempt a suicide squeeze or the proper application of the hit-and-run.

Sorry for the side rant, but this one puzzles me.

[quote]Stiles55 wrote:
This argument is over… Strictly because you are insinuating that the NL is a better league than the AL… Now I realize why you said all those traded went NL… You are a NL fan, which means you appreciate mediocre pitching and home runs…

[/quote]

Wow. I’ve been a White Sox fan since I was 6, having gone to my first game ever. I stated earlier my affiliation. I watched 160 CWS games last year. National League?!? That’s like calling me a Cubs fan. The highest insult.

You’re a closet Yankee fan. How does that feel, you besmircher?

[quote]Kuz wrote:
I really do not imagine Tim McCarver (who gets on my nerves like few others) have a chat with Joe Six Pack about his views on when to attempt a suicide squeeze or the proper application of the hit-and-run.

[/quote]

McCarver and Joe Buck are horrible. Mind numbingly slow. The guys on Baseball Tonight are good, though I miss Harold Reynolds.

I rescind my comment and apologize… I understand that my comment is one of the worst things you could say to a true baseball fan…

Too funny.

Free Harold Reynolds!!!

[quote]The Bambino wrote:
though I miss Harold Reynolds.

Too funny.

Free Harold Reynolds!!!
[/quote]

The guy has charm. He loves baseball. He loves the ladies. I can’t fault him for that. He could have some self control and respect for his wife / mother of his child. Ah, well.

John Kruk isn’t the same without him. those two were hilarious together. Like two kids at the back of 5th period health class.