Curt Schilling

Don’t know how many of you are into baseball, but I’m originally from Boston and (by birthright) am a die hard Red Sox fan.

The Orioles commentator last night, during I believe the fifth inning, claimed that he was told by Doug Mirabelli that Curt Schilling painted his sock during the game 6 of the ALCS “for effect”. Now Mirabelli vehemently denied it, as well as, the Red Sox organization, but the commentator (Gary Thorne) swears it’s the truth.

It sounds stupid, and it is. I personally feel the media, in an attempt to stir up things and increase ratings/popularity, is tarnishing everyone and anyone in their path. Then again the Baseball Hall of Fame didn’t ask/receive the sock until weeks later.

Nonetheless, GO SOX!!!

Oh, surprise, another blubbering Red Sox fan.

If Shilling was wearing another uniform right now, say, Devil Ray, you’d besmirch him too. Just like you besmirch every former player. Do I need to start naming names?

Boston fans are the worst in sportsdom.

[quote]kroby wrote:

If Shilling was wearing another uniform right now, say, Devil Ray, you’d besmirch him too. Just like you besmirch every former player. Do I need to start naming names?

Boston fans are the worst in sportsdom.[/quote]

Word.

Someone take a blood/marker sample from the sock. It sure would be interesting to know.

Not the “Chosen One”…say it isn’t so!

I always liked Schilling from when he was a Phillie.

Hope the story is BS. Can’t imagine the other players wouldn’t have abused him w/o mercy and leaked it to the media before now.

[quote]kroby wrote:

I hate the Sox…but Yankees, Raiders, Lakers, Notre Dame they are all in the same boat.

[quote]kroby wrote:

Actually, I’m not a just a “blubbering Red Sox fan”, I am a baseball fan. Which is to say if you wanted to discuss the Barry Bonds issue or the fact the resurgence of a less than mediocre Orioles team or, better yet, the struggles of Alfonso Soriano with the Cubs, I’d be happy to discuss it. I was merely bringing up an issue that was kind of outside of the boundaries of what a play by play commentator could delve.

By the way, Schilling used to pitch for the Diamondbacks and I followed him there when he was with Randy Johnson. Just like I’ve followed selective players throughout my lifetime, I am just fortunate that he came back to the Sox (the team he was drafted by).

And, yes, I know there is a stigma that Sox fans hate their players after they go. And yes, it’s true (See Roger Clemens, Wade Boggs and Johnny Damon) but, last time I checked there is a reason for that… THEY WENT TO NEW YORK “The Evil Empire”…

Nomar Garciapara was traded, Bronson Arroyo, countless others, and we’ve wished them well and still find joy in there success (even Grady Little who basically just establish an Ex-Red Sox team with the Dodgers).

[quote]UtahLama wrote:
I hate the Sox…but Yankees, Raiders, Lakers, Notre Dame they are all in the same boat.[/quote]

No shit, there are annoying fans from every team.

Except the Royals. I’ve met all four of their fans. Nice family.

(Oh, and I was watching this game last night. I think Gary needs to go back to being hockey’s worst announcer.)

[quote]Stiles55 wrote:

And, yes, I know there is a stigma that Sox fans hate their players after they go. And yes, it’s true (See Roger Clemens, Wade Boggs and Johnny Damon) but, last time I checked there is a reason for that… THEY WENT TO NEW YORK “The Evil Empire”…

Nomar Garciapara was traded, Bronson Arroyo, countless others, and we’ve wished them well and still find joy in there success (even Grady Little who basically just establish an Ex-Red Sox team with the Dodgers).

[/quote]
Agreed. I still love watching Bronson pitch.

Since they won the Red Sox have become the most annoying team in MLB. I didn’t think it was possible but their fans have actually become MORE annoying. They already led the world in fan obnoxiousness, with the exception of Ohio State fans. They just took it up a notch.

Shilling’s an asshole and Mirabelli’s a liar.

Ok, some guy from the hall of fame was just on ESPN’s Cold Pizza…

He said that the spot on the sock in the hall of fame has turned brown over the years. That’s a sign of blood, not paint.

BTW it’s probably important to know that the sock in the hall of fame is from game 2 of the World Series, not game 6 of the ALCS (no clue where that one is). So… if the World Series “spot” is turning brown as blood would, why would he doctor a sock from an earlier game?

Anyway, I’m headed back to 2007. . .

[quote]Stiles55 wrote:
Actually, I’m not a just a “blubbering Red Sox fan”, I am a baseball fan. Which is to say if you wanted to discuss the Barry Bonds issue or the fact the resurgence of a less than mediocre Orioles team or, better yet, the struggles of Alfonso Soriano with the Cubs, I’d be happy to discuss it. I was merely bringing up an issue that was kind of outside of the boundaries of what a play by play commentator could delve. [/quote]

I would be very pleased to start a baseball thread. It is my passion.

Being a White Sox fan, I really don’t follow the D-Backs.

Boston, the Eviler Empire. Where else can you get pizza and beer thrown at you? Not in New York. They actually have more class. A disgusting fact.

[quote]Nomar Garciapara was traded, Bronson Arroyo, countless others, and we’ve wished them well and still find joy in there success (even Grady Little who basically just establish an Ex-Red Sox team with the Dodgers).
[/quote]
Ah, yes. Notice how all of them play in the National League? Coincidence? No. How is Mirabelli treated? How about that First Baseman that kept the baseball that won them the 2004 WS, who I think went to the Devil Rays?

But to the point, I don’t speculate whether or not that was Shilling’s blood. It doesn’t matter. He’s pitching well. The Red Sox are atop the power rankings. So, what’s the scoop? A dubious tarnishing of a beloved Red Sox? Boo hoo.

[quote]kroby wrote:
How about that First Baseman that kept the baseball that won them the 2004 WS, who I think went to the Devil Rays?
[/quote]

Dougie is a Yankee now.

And the pizza toss? That’s one incident. And I happened to laugh my ass off when I saw that. You can’t honestly tell me food has never been thrown at another MLB stadium. . .

[quote]DS 007 wrote:
Since they won the Red Sox have become the most annoying team in MLB. I didn’t think it was possible but their fans have actually become MORE annoying. They already led the world in fan obnoxiousness, with the exception of Ohio State fans. They just took it up a notch.

Shilling’s an asshole and Mirabelli’s a liar. [/quote]

Thanks honey, I love you too.

[quote]kroby wrote:

Um… I think you mean Duke fans, right?

I’ve been a Sox fan since I was old enough to walk, and I would have to say (at least as far as the lifelong fans are concerned), that Sox fans are some of the more learned and baseball-savvy fans in baseball. Of course, since the Sox won in '04, all the bandwagon fans have certainly diluted the pool of knowledge, but the old legions are still around.

You go to any ballpark and I guarantee you that there will be no fewer than 1,000 beer-spilling, curse-word-hurling idiots proudly wearing their team’s emblem and making complete asses of themselves.

Oh and by the way, I still respect the hell out of Roger Clemens (who left because Dan Duquette was a complete douchebag), and harbor no ill will towards Wade Boggs, or any other ex-Sox players (except J.D. of course, that was just too much to take…).

[quote]swordthrower wrote:

Oh and by the way, I still respect the hell out of Roger Clemens (who left because Dan Duquette was a complete douchebag), and harbor no ill will towards Wade Boggs, or any other ex-Sox players (except J.D. of course, that was just too much to take…).[/quote]

Why the hate for Damon? He came in as a free agent and left as one. Boston had their chance and they refused to come close to paying him.

Blame management, not Damon.

kroby wrote:

Boston fans are the worst in sportsdom.

Um… I think you mean Duke fans, right?

I’ve been a Sox fan since I was old enough to walk, and I would have to say (at least as far as the lifelong fans are concerned), that Sox fans are some of the more learned and baseball-savvy fans in baseball. Of course, since the Sox won in '04, all the bandwagon fans have certainly diluted the pool of knowledge, but the old legions are still around.

You go to any ballpark and I guarantee you that there will be no fewer than 1,000 beer-spilling, curse-word-hurling idiots proudly wearing their team’s emblem and making complete asses of themselves.

Oh and by the way, I still respect the hell out of Roger Clemens (who left because Dan Duquette was a complete douchebag), and harbor no ill will towards Wade Boggs, or any other ex-Sox players (except J.D. of course, that was just too much to take…).[/quote]

I agree with you whole heartedly (especially with your comment on BANDWAGON FANS) If you aren’t originally from the Northeast its hard to believe guys nowadays (Revere, Mass is my hometown)…

even with the Dan Duquette comment, but Roger and Wade hurt my heart worse than JD… JD was there for a stint… The others were what gave me hope every year, that this would be there year… Think about what happened till we got Pedro…

Stagnation, while Roger went on to win 2 Cy Youngs in the 3 years he was at Toronto and then jumped on the Yankees… Listen, I never said I don’t respect them, but damnit going to the Yankees is A MORTAL SIN.

Glad to have a true Sox fan in here with me.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
swordthrower wrote:

Oh and by the way, I still respect the hell out of Roger Clemens (who left because Dan Duquette was a complete douchebag), and harbor no ill will towards Wade Boggs, or any other ex-Sox players (except J.D. of course, that was just too much to take…).

Why the hate for Damon? He came in as a free agent and left as one. Boston had their chance and they refused to come close to paying him.

Blame management, not Damon.[/quote]

Incorrect we offered him 4 years at 11 million per(approx) he took 5 years at 10 per… He left over 6 million (I know “half empty, half full” but that is coming close now…

[quote]kroby wrote:
Boston, the Eviler Empire. Where else can you get pizza and beer thrown at you? Not in New York. They actually have more class. A disgusting fact.
[/quote]

You have obviously never watched a Yankees game or been to Yankees Stadium in your life. One guy throw a pizza and beer and somehow Yankees fans are the ones with class. I guess batteries and coins being thrown at opposing players is the classy move then, eh?

You sound inordinately bitter every time the Red Sox come up, which seems odd coming from a ChiSox fan.

I’ve been a Sox fan since I was old enough to walk, and I would have to say (at least as far as the lifelong fans are concerned), that Sox fans are some of the more learned and baseball-savvy fans in baseball. [/quote]

No they are not. The most myopic fans, yes. Baseball-savvy, no.