T Nation

Curry Chicken w/ Lentils...

Just made up this dish over the weekend (inspired by Berardi's split pea and curry chicken recipe) and it turned out GREAT. This recipe is for a large pot to last you 3-5 days (depending on how much you eat). Here it is:

• 24 oz chicken breast diced (kung pao chicken size)
  • 1 cup dried lentils
  • 5 cups low sodium chicken broth (or 5 cups water w/ two boulion cubes)
  • one large yellow onion coarsely chopped
  • 2 medium tomatoes seeded and coarsely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic crushed
  • 1 6-oz can tomato paste
  • curry powder
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • fresh mint, chopped (3-5 leaves)
  • extra virgin olive oil

In a large pot, heat up just enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan on medium-high setting. Add onions, garlic and tomatoes w/ a dash of salt and pepper and ~ 1 1/2 Tbsp of curry powder (or to taste). Sweat (avoid sauteing/browning) until translucent.

Add tomato paste and stir until warmed through, then add lentils until coated w/ the paste.

Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to lowest setting and simmer covered for 30 min.

Heat up skillet on medium high heat. Coat w/ olive oil and add diced chicken breast w/ salt, pepper and curry powder to taste. Cook until outside is golden brown.

Add chicken with pan drippings to the pot and continue simmering.

After 30 minutes, simmer contents uncovered for an additional 20-25 min on lowest setting, stirring occasionally. Add fresh mint just before serving. Enjoy!

Good one Panther. I realy like lentils, but haven't done much with curry.
I'm going to give this one a shot soon.

oooh. Definitely adding this to my recipe book. Looks great! And I have a mint plant, so I'm excited to actually have a recipe that uses it. LOL!

For people that don't like mint in savory/spicy dishes, you can use cilantro or even flat leaf parsley.