Current Reading List?

[quote]brider wrote:
Late reply – sorry. Last several books I’ve read:

The DaVinci Code
Angels and Demons (similar to DVC)
The Road Less Traveled
Secrets of the Code (much of Dan Brown’s source material for DVC)
Timeline (Michael Crichton – a great book)
Wild at Heart

Unfortunately, I finished Timeline yesterday, and now I need to start another. Finished that one in 4 days. I’ve become a rather voracious reader…[/quote]

Have to agree with Timeline. The quantum computing parts were especially intriguing to me.

[quote]atmosphere wrote:
Other than that, I’m reading any Anthropology material I can get my hands on.
[/quote]

Wow, someone who actually enjoys reading Anthropology material…
It was my undergraduate major… Quite interesting to say the least…

[quote]cancer wrote:
I think it’s safe to say T-Nation is about more than just training to most people who frequent here…
(of course, the ideas and info on training we get here is priceless)

but anyway, the last few books I bought have been the ones mentioned in Chris Shugart’s blog…(“The Da Vinci Code”, other Dan Brown’s work, and “Evolution” to name a few)… and I’m guessing my next fiction book (when I’m done with “Evolution”… which will take a while cuz I allow myself to read it only on weekends, and while I take a shit) will be “Life of Pi” which was mentioned in TC’s blog…

I’m wondering what other guys of T-Nations are reading as well. (fiction or non-fiction)[/quote]

“Incubus” by Laura K. Hamilton.

slightly different direction here, but this summer i read “the millionaire next door”. it really made me think about my relationship with money. more than ever i take it with a grain of salt when i see people with lots of jewelry, flashy clothes, expensive cars, and so on.

I am currently reading “The Divine Comedy” for the second time. Haven’t read it in years, forgot how good it is.

Speaking of “Fight Club” I read “Survivor” earlier this summer and thought it was very entertaining.

I’m reading “Think & Grow Rich” because so many entrepreneurs have recommended it over the years.

Not sure what to read next, I have a big eclectic pile sitting here waving at me.

I’m a huge P.J. O?Rourke fan. I just finished his new one “Peace Kills”. It was very good, especially the chapter about Iraq and Kuwait. The chapter about the Washington peace demonstrations was priceless.

Current Read:

“The System of the World: Volume III of the Baroque Cycle” by Neal Stephenson, a whopper at 892 pages long.

Thats the third and final volume in this trilogy, the second book(The Confusion) was awesome and the first book (Quicksilver) wasn’t too bad, but like all of his work it takes about 1/4-1/3 of the book before the story picks up. So much development of character and time before story.

Any of his other books are highly worth a read. Particularly “Snowcrash” and “Cryptonomicon”.

After that it’s back to “Starting out with C++” and some Network Security books.

If philosophy is your bag or interests you and you don’t really know where to start I’d highly recommend “The Great Philosophers” by Bryan Magee. Probably one of the best primers on western philosophy out there.

More work oriented books that leisure books as stephensons writing style has really set a high standard for me in fictional literature. Even “The Lord of the Rings” felt like reading a childs book after reading stephenson.